Old before your time?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Denise

Old before your time?

Post by Denise »

I am 30 this year and a few people have said that I'm old before my time because I enjoy cross-stitching..It doesn't actually bother me because I really enjoy 'painting with threads'. A few of the girls I work with have become quite interested and have decided to try it also but does anyone else get accused of this??? I think they're all just JEALOUS!!!!
fairie56

Post by fairie56 »

naw, they're just jealous! I've been doing "handicrafts" since i was a child, always enjoyed them, and I wish my daughter would, too, but she hasn't the patience. No, you don't have to be "old" to cross stitch, or crochet, or knit....
By the way, I noticed you're from Perth, Scotland. Lovely city! I visited there about 2 years ago....no, wait,! I think 3 years now...OM goodness, how time flies! Beautiful country, I might add... :o
StitchingAgain

Re: Old before your time?

Post by StitchingAgain »

[quote="Denise"]I am 30 this year and a few people have said that I'm old before my time because I enjoy cross-stitching..quote]
Well... I'm turning 30 in 3 weeks... but most of the time I'm more like a child than anything else! lol! A very boring child, but still a child! My partner used to be very "lively" before he met me... but as I'm a very strange person... I've managed to pull him over to my side on most things! lol! I don't go out, as I don't like being surrounded by people (I get claustrophbic even at the supermarket), so eating out is out, so's the cinema, pubs, clubs, etc. I enjoy the counrtyside, and all summer we go for walks all over the place, but otherwise I prefer to sit inside with the curtains drawn... where I'll stitch, read, paint, etc. Last time it snowed here, I wanted me and my partner to go outside to make snow-cats (think snowmen, just like cats), but alas, he's still not convinced that's allowed as an adult! So... I guess I'm like a 60 year old child, instead of my 30!
Rose

Post by Rose »

Age has nothing to do with it, I have been doing handcrafts since I was 14. I am now 41 and LOVE the fact that I have a talent that others admire.

I to feel like a child I still buy the cartoon movies (Disney is my favorite) what is the harm. Your only as old as you feel. I feel like I am 2 sometimes.

If it would snow here I would make a snowman. I just made one two years ago when we were all home visiting my dad. If it isn't illegal and you feel like doing it do you only live once and you can't take it with you. I enjoy life. My kids sometimes shake there head but they also know if they want to do something fun I will be right there with them.
catkin

Post by catkin »

:lol: The way I see it needlework, in the olden days, was a pastime for young ladies of breeding who sat in the stately home and passed their day stitching beautiful things. So no its not a hobby of old maids but a lovely, relaxing pastime of refined young ladies like us :lol:

Joan
lindagibb

Post by lindagibb »

Denise, I just think they are jealous because they can't do it. Most people I know are amazed and full of praise of what I stitch.
Becca

Post by Becca »

I'm only 20, no one has made any bad comment once they've seen how beautiful some of the things i've stitched are, i've even got a few friends to have a go.
fairie56

Post by fairie56 »

By the way, I'm 49 , will be 50 in October. (and I don't act my age half the time... :lol: )
w00dy

Post by w00dy »

i'm 47 and I have been stitching for about 6 years, I wish I had discovered it earlier. I've been knitting and crocheting since time began :wink: I've made some great friends through stitching and it's helped me through some terrible bouts of depression...... do you ladies also find it therapeutic?
Rose

Post by Rose »

Absolutely there are times I would go bonkers without my crafts. At night after all the rest are in bed and the house is quiet. I love to stitch and relax.
tina

Post by tina »

age !!!! who cares !!!, i,v been doing cross stitch and knitting since i could first hold a needle, it runs in the family. when my children were little and i was in my late 20's early 30's, and i did not work i,d spend all day either sewing or knitting and had many complementry comments from mothers young and old on my childrens knitwear and the embroidery on my dauthers clothes. now though, at the age of 44, i find cross stitch very therapeatic and its my way of relaxing from my work as a nusre on a very busy coronary care unit.
inuyashagirl

Post by inuyashagirl »

I find stitching very relaxing that i even take it to work with me so that when i am on luch break i get just relax and be refieshed before i have to go back to the job. I am actually more productive after i have been stitching awhile. i will admitt that turning forty this month was hard for me but know that it is over with i don't act forty. Jeez my fave tv show is Inuyasha which is a japanese catoon and i also love disney and harry potter so i am a kid in a body that is growing old and the mind just doesn't want to keep up with it

Debbie
Sungirl

Post by Sungirl »

I'm 37 and have been stitching for about 7 years now. I wish I had started earlier!! I'm convinced I'll never get to do the designs and plans I have in my head before the eyesight goes or the rheumatism catches up. Guess that's why I stitch like a crazy obsessed person now!
Becca

Post by Becca »

I find it very relaxing, i don't know what i'd do without my cross stitch. By the way Denise i love the way you put it, "painting with threads"
Gingercat

Post by Gingercat »

Ask these people what their hobbies are. Bet we could find fault with them. Some people think that you shouldn't knit, crochet, cross stitch etc until you're in your dotage - but how would we get all the beautiful patterns done. SO MANY PATTERNS SO LITTLE TIME :) :) :lol:
an_drea

Post by an_drea »

I'm 26 and here most of people things that cross stitch is a thing for old people.

But I think each time is more young people that say they like cross stitch. so this fact makes it a normal thing.

See you!! :D
fairie56

Post by fairie56 »

Gingercat: so true! I started cross sitching in ernest about 3 years, when I finally found time for myself, without too many distractions or interuptions. I wish I had started in my 20's or 30's, because my eyesight isn't very good anymore. I have astigmatism and short-sightedness, so if I want to see really close up, as in cross stitch, I need to take my glasses off, but then I can't read the chart, because it's blurry. I've tried using bi-focals, but I can't focus on the stitches. So, I end up squinting sometimes, or holding the chart up to my face! (it looks quite funny!).
I hope to get some sort of magnifying glass , so I won't squint.... :roll:
Rose

Post by Rose »

fairie56

have you looked around in the craft mags they have magnifiers that will clip right to your hoop. They also light up to help you.
fairie56

Post by fairie56 »

rose: :lol: no craft magazines here! I've seen one like that at the only shop that sells cross stitch supplies, but I thought it was a tad expensvie. I'm hoping to get one of those that hang from your neck, which I think are larger? For the moment, I just "squint" and bear it! :lol:
PD: I don't use a hoop, either. I roll up or fold the excess fabric and stitch the area I'm working on, if it's a larger project.
Rose

Post by Rose »

I will look in the mags I get and let you know what I find and how much they are. I have seen the ones that go on your neck but at this time I have good site and don't need it so have not paid any attention to the prices.