Confessions of a Cross Stitcher

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Allyn

Re: Confessions of a Cross Stitcher

Post by Allyn »

kicking wrote: ...... It really bugs me when my SIL calls my HAED projects wait for it...... tapestries!!! :x She is extremely jealous, and a very spiteful person and she would love to be able to do something as amazing as cross stitch so likes to bring me down!!! And breath LOL!!!!...

Sorry for waiting almost a week before I came back to this, but I had to think about it for a while.

Why does it bother you that she calls it a tapestry?

According to dictionary.com:
tap·es·try: [tap-uh-stree]
noun, plural: tap·es·tries.
1. a fabric consisting of a warp upon which colored threads are woven by hand to produce a design, often pictorial, used for wall hangings, furniture coverings, etc.
2. a machine-woven reproduction of this.

WIP
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

Allyn wrote:
kicking wrote: ...... It really bugs me when my SIL calls my HAED projects wait for it...... tapestries!!! :x She is extremely jealous, and a very spiteful person and she would love to be able to do something as amazing as cross stitch so likes to bring me down!!! And breath LOL!!!!...

Sorry for waiting almost a week before I came back to this, but I had to think about it for a while.

Why does it bother you that she calls it a tapestry?

According to dictionary.com:
tap·es·try: [tap-uh-stree]
noun, plural: tap·es·tries.
1. a fabric consisting of a warp upon which colored threads are woven by hand to produce a design, often pictorial, used for wall hangings, furniture coverings, etc.
2. a machine-woven reproduction of this.
Actually, I get why that might bug someone. Based on the definition you just copied, which is how I also define a tapestry, the design is formed using different colors of weft that is woven onto the warp. Think of warp as the vertical threads in your fabric - they're a single base color. The weft is the horizontal threads - in a tapestry they don't go all the way across from one end of the fabric to the other, but weave back and forth to form the design. Here's an example:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-XZ0WpLxEiUA/T ... G_2697.JPG" target="_blank

Lots more examples when you do a google image search for Tapestry Weaving

Somewhere along the way surface embroidery also got thrown in under the tapestry umbrella - the Bayeux Tapestry being an example that comes to mind - but even even that is acknowledged as not actually being a tapestry but an embroidered cloth - something I remember my history teacher telling us back in the 5th grade when we studied it - she taught us the difference between tapestries and embroidery and I guess the definitions stuck.

Cross stitch is a form or surface embroidery - not a type of weaving, so the two are completely different. But then, knitters get irritated when someone calls their work crochet, and vice versa too!

And now I'm humming a 'song' that my 5th grade class wrote about the Bayeux tapestry. Why of why is it that I can't remember a shopping list when I get to the store, but manage to remember all the lyrics and rather irritating tune of a song that a few of us randomly came up with 28 years ago?
My blog: Obsessed With Thread

My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments

Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
Amélie Abels

Post by Amélie Abels »

Hallo new poster here; love idea of this topic! Reading through the confessions that have been posted so far, I feel like the fact that don't lick my thread...like at all...qualifies as a confession now. It's not that I find it weird or icky, it's just when I used to do it when I was learning to sew, it just never felt right. Possibly a bad habit I should learn to embrace.

I do feel proud that I've been able to complete a couple of kits now, but I think I'm worse than just having a few unfinished projects as I've pretty much just kept all my finished ones in a draw, and they're just additions to an actual, handwritten list of stuff I keep meaning to frame.

Also, to weigh in on the whole tapestry thing, I feel like part of it is just the way we use the word in everyday conversation, like a 'tapestry of lies' and the like. Makes me laugh that not only is the Bayeux tapestry, as you said NeedleAndFork, really embroidery, but any piece that's inspired a bit is also called a 'tapestry' when they're also embroidery. Even the tapestry kits you buy now aren't really woven.
sami51311

Post by sami51311 »

I have very bright red hair. The dye will leave pink and red stains on everything if I accidentally touch my hair it transfers from my hands to my fabic. I know it will wash off my clothes so I hope it will come out of my project. :x:

Also my Mother-In-Law calls it crochet. Extremely Annoying. :tantrum:
sami
WIP
Four Seasons Chairs Design By Diana Thomas
carolanne

Post by carolanne »

Even though a tapestry and an embroidery are really different, maybe someone who doesn't really know, thinks a tapestry is fancier and more of a compliment. Too many important things to stress over, to worry about the slight mis-use of technical words.
Mickat

Post by Mickat »

I absolutely love this topic! And boy do I have a lot to add! So here goes..

On the topic of what people call it my partner calls the bag I have my stuff in my 'sewing bag' which isn't too bad but he does it to stir me up! :lol: I hate it when people call the thread "string"!

I am a thread licker all the way and I also have the bad (?) habit of putting the needle between my lips when I don't have anywhere to put it momentarily.. I was at a friend's place on the weekend who is new to cross stitching and I think she was quietly horrified to witness me doing these things! :oops:

I love buying aida, charts, books, kits and all the rest and have no plans to stop.. I love buying Dimensions Gold and Maia kits and have not yet done one..

I have such a beautiful range of fabric colours but am reluctant to use them and take them from my stash.. But my latest project is on one of these pieces and I am loving working on the pretty colour so I may be getting better! I do normally like to replace what I have used though..

My cross stitching is not allowed to accompany me in the car if I am going to the gym. I have been known to get side tracked and not leave the car/car park due to getting involved in my stitching! :oops:

Nope don't really mind that I have messy backs! They aren't too bad but they aren't too great either!

I photograph any new kits I get so that I don't have to sort through them to see what I have.. Sometimes I forget if I bought the kit/chart or just looked at it! :oops: Sometimes I just grab the iPad and browse through my collection!

There are so many projects I want to stitch but when I finish one and it's time to start a new one I have trouble choosing! I am a stitch one project at a time person, there is a name for people like me isn't there?!

At work I am preoccupied by what I want to stitch, what I am stitching and what I want to buy.. I'm also thinking what design I can put on what colour fabric to make it look nicer.. I tell very few people about my hobby, I don't think it's because I'm embarrassed but I am not really sure why.. :?

I always take my project off my hoop but I never loosen my hoop. I pull it on on over my work so it's tight but try not to do it where it is stitched. I'm pretty sure this is bad but u wouldn't do it if I thought it would hurt my stitching in any way..

I only ever frame projects I have stitched for presents. I will get around to framing and displaying my work but I am very fussy as to how they frame it. I did do a small cow and calf picture for my Mum for Mother's Day this year. At the same time I stitched a mare and foal from the same magazine and when I went to get the one for Mum framed I got the other one done too.. So I have one small framed picture which I have not given away!! :lol:

I always have good intentions of stitching a card or some other present for someone's birthday but I normally am so caught up in my current project that their birthday comes and goes and I haven't stitched anything for them.. But I did THINK of doing it for them.. :wink:

I try and get my daily jobs done as soon as possible so I can stitch freely knowing everything is done.. I normally set myself a time when I should stop and go to bed but I go past that time.. I get addicted and I use excuses like "I will just finish this thread" or "This colour is nearly done it won't take long"...

When my partner and I watch TV or a movie I nearly always fall asleep, but if I am stitching I can stay up for hours and hours until I really must go to bed! On a sick day off work I have been known to stitch for 12 hours non stop, but it's a good medicine when you are meant to be resting..

I'm sure there is more that I will think of but that is a good start! Not sure if I feel better or horrified now that I have typed it all out :shock: :roll:
Katie :-)

Finished!:
Palomino by Ross Originals
Lorikeets by Fiona Jude
Two Cockatoos by Fiona Jude
Halloween Carousel Horse by Donna Kooler

WIP: Barn Owl by Ross Originals
Corey.G

Post by Corey.G »

I have added some earlier on in this topic but here's a couple more. I'm really bad for leaving my project in the hoop for months at a time, but I've never had any marks on the Aida.

And this ones bad (got reminded cause I too keep needles in my mouth momentarily) I used to stick needles in the arms of the sofa. Then one day I didn't see it and put my hand down to brace before I sat down. And in went the needle. And not the pointy end either. Luckily it only went under the skin and not straight in. Learned my lesson though.
Mickat

Post by Mickat »

Ouch!!! :doh: I too put needles in whatever is nearby, pillows, headrests, mattresses etc but apart from a couple of minor stabs I have gotten away with it :oops: That must have really hurt!! :shock:

Finished!:
Lorikeets by Fiona Jude

richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Corey.G wrote:...And this ones bad (got reminded cause I too keep needles in my mouth momentarily) I used to stick needles in the arms of the sofa. Then one day I didn't see it and put my hand down to brace before I sat down. And in went the needle. And not the pointy end either. Luckily it only went under the skin and not straight in. Learned my lesson though.
Done this myself. Not pleasant. I usually put the needle in the fabric, but not always...

I don't put needles in my mouth after I nearly breathed one in. That gave me much more of a fright than putting my hand on it in the arm of the chair.

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Mickat

Post by Mickat »

Hmmmm, that sounds very scary, I will try and stop that nasty habit! :shock:
Thanks Richard :)

Finished!:
Lorikeets by Fiona Jude

curly sue

Post by curly sue »

Last week, for the first time, I stepped on a needle I didn't know I had dropped. Dh had to pull it out!
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

I also have a really bad habit of popping a needle in my mouth when I'm sorting out my next thread but so far I've always remembered I've had it in there as I went to sneeze one time and remembered to take it out! I dread to think what would have happened if I'd forgotten :roll:
Work in Progress
Rachel Froud 'Highlander'
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

I used to do the same thing - sticking a needle in my mouth to hang onto it, until I wised up and got myself a couple of magnets. They're not fancy super strong magnets, nor are they fancy, just 1/2 inch or so disks that I use one onn the front and the other on the back of my fabric. This way I can just drop my needle on them when I need both my hands to cut or separate floss.
My blog: Obsessed With Thread

My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments

Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
Rose

Post by Rose »

I have magnets everywhere. 2 on my lap stand, one on the arm and one in the trough. I have one on the table next to my chair and I have a magnet stuck to the top of each of my project boxes. All are glued in place so that they are always available to me in easy reach. I also have a pincushion attached to my table so there are many options for my needle that is not in a danger zone for myself or others.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
fccs

Post by fccs »

Mickat wrote:Hmmmm, that sounds very scary, I will try and stop that nasty habit! :shock:
Thanks Richard :)
I tend to be a mouth needle-holder, too, but with my recent investments in needle minders, I do it very seldom now. So, consider that habit an excuse to buy needle minders. Our own fizzbw sells really cute ones; I've bought I think three or four of hers and am planning on more. (I like to have at least one needle minder with each WIP...and I have a lot of WIP's.)
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Mickat

Post by Mickat »

fccs wrote: I tend to be a mouth needle-holder, too, but with my recent investments in needle minders, I do it very seldom now. So, consider that habit an excuse to buy needle minders. Our own fizzbw sells really cute ones; I've bought I think three or four of hers and am planning on more. (I like to have at least one needle minder with each WIP...and I have a lot of WIP's.)

Funny you mention that, I bought two horsey needle minders from Fizzbw a week or so ago and I am looking forward to their arrival! :lol:
But I do already have a few that I bought on etsy which are in a box with my stash and haven't been used yet :oops: :roll:

Finished!:
Lorikeets by Fiona Jude

monic39

Post by monic39 »

I stick my needle in the couch I am sitting on.
I ones lost one (I didn't remember where I've put it) and didn't dare to sit down, was affraid to sid right on the needle :oops: But the magnets is a great idea
sewsav

Post by sewsav »

This seems like fun...

Until recently I have always tied knots into my threads, sacrilege right?! I have never even heard of anchoring my threads until about year ago but I suppose that's just the way I was taught to secure my work.

I always stitch cross legged with my frame balanced on my knees so I can use both hands... my knees lock up and I end up hobbling after :doh:

I have never stitched something for myself as I have no motivation to finish something unless it is a gift. I just can't bring myself to do it.

I am also guilty of the needle in the mouth thing!

I think changing a design is rude/disrespectful to the designer especially if it is an independent design.
2015 WIPs:
Mystic Stitch - Dew Drop Fairy
Bothy Threads - Kings and Queens
Clouds Factory - Zodiac Sampler SAL
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

sewsav wrote:I always stitch cross legged with my frame balanced on my knees so I can use both hands... my knees lock up and I end up hobbling after :doh:
Apart from the side effects you mention, this actually sounds like a quite a good idea, I might try it some time (for short periods only... :-))
sewsav wrote:I think changing a design is rude/disrespectful to the designer especially if it is an independent design.
That's an interesting point of view, I never really thought about it but I suppose some designers might see changes by stitchers as an implicit criticism of their design; personally I'm very happy for people to change colours or leave out bits they don't like or duplicate bits they do like - obviously it won't look like I envisaged when I designed it, but then I'm not the one who has to live with the end result :-)
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
millymolly

Post by millymolly »

Guilty of the needle in mouth thing here! Or just leaving the anywhere! I stick them in my clothes, on cushions loose them in my bed!

I'm also a thread licker but I tend to bite too so that the end is flat.

I sit in very awkward positions to stitch with both hands and end up in agony.

I have so many wish list cross stitches I don't think I'd be able to do everything.

I like to be neat, front and back, stitches sitting wrong annoy me also put me off other peoples work, especially if its a designer and I wanted to buy something of theirs. If their pictures aren't neat I wouldn't buy it.

I make mistakes all the time, if its not drastic it gets left. Hate to frog and instead of going back on my self and saving the thread I just cut along what is wrong and rip it out, temper lol.
Amanda =]

WIP
Cloudsfactory Epic Potter & Cut thru Pirate Ship
HAED Mini Awakening Spring Fairy
Shameful UFOs Thread here 3 of 25 finished