Please Keep it simple

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

inuyashagirl

Post by inuyashagirl »

Hi Ladies and Alex

Well i am gone two days and i come back to read this thread. What the big deal. We all should have realized that the money had to come somewhere whether adverts or a store or out of their own pockets. I don't think alex meant to hurt anyone and yes maybe he should have said sometihing to us but we don't have to go to the shop if you feel that you were being used.

Personally i don't care as long as this forum does not change and we can still swap ideas help each other just like we are doing why should it matter if they run a shop on the side. But lets not ruin this forum and our friendships that we have all demonstrated over the past few months for something like this. This is still by far the best forum i have been on and the friendships are something that i will cherish. Like just recently i learned that another member on this forum knows the same people that i do even though we live 400 km away from each other. she even knew a person whom was very dear to me and just knowing this helped brighten my day because people still remember her.

Anyway getting alittle off topic there. i just hope that we keep this family together and not let something that, if Alex is telling the truth, interferr with our relationships.

I know i still will be visiting everyday and keeping up with the posts as i love this place. After work it is wonderful to see what the rest of you guys have been up to

Well i have said my piece on this topic

Alex keep up the good work? Are you going to have to replace Bagpuss as a moderator and if so what kind of person are you looking for.

Bagpuss if you see this hope you are getting better and you are in my prayers every night

Peace

Debbie
inuyashagirl

Post by inuyashagirl »

ok i just checked out the new site and it great except one thing i tried to email the sales as they said they would find any pattern if you saked so i did and guess what it came back as could not send. Why is this Alex? i was asking them to locate a cross stitch pattern of the japanese anime cartoon inuyasha ( my avatar pic) can yo shed some light on this

Debbie
Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex »

Hi Debbie

Thank you for your comments and kind support. :D

I am not going to add any more to the 'shop' issue because I have said my bit, but would welcome anyone else to voice their opinions.

I hope Bagpuss can stay as a Moderator. She amazed me with the effort that she put in to her posts. I didn't know that there was so much to talk about with cross stitch. :D

The email address has now been fixed. Sorry about that.
purple-footprints

Post by purple-footprints »

hmmm......

Im a little confused with this whole issue, can i sit on the fence with this debate.

The only thing I can say, is that I actually dealt with unquic cross stitch on ebay, and it was her who reccomemded me to this forum. I have to say Im glad she did, I have very muched liked coming here to chat and share ideas and tips. I could be wrong, but I got the impression that her and the creators of this forum were good friends, and I kinda figured something was in the pipeline to happen, else why promote this forum in her ebay site.....

I see it neither as a good thing or bad, just part of business and what goes on in the world.
Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex »

lol, I know I said earlier that I have said my bit, but I couldn't resist it when I saw purple-footprints post.

Bagpuss and the 'creators' are a little more than good friends. We live together.

I run a web design company www.zookx.com and Bagpuss was going to run a cross stitch web site. It is only because of her illness (recently diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis) that she is now unable to run the cross stitch site. As you can see from the previous posts in this thread, we had one member who thought that there was a 'plot' to add the shop from the outset. Again, I assure you that this was not the case - when I launched this forum, I was going to sell advertising space on it (ad space makes quite a lot of money), but decided not to because of all the comments from members saying how they liked the forum the way it is - nice and simple. So, when Bagpuss become too ill to run her own site, we decided to merge it with the forum.

What really amazed me was the comments from one member thinking that I had put this forum up to gather "information given about likes, dislikes, the hows and whens of our stitching days". She went on to say more, but boy oh boy, she could not be any further from the truth. If I had wanted this information, I could have got it from loads of other cross stitch forums. I could have joined any number of them and asked all sorts of questions to gather that type of info. Another member raised the point about Bagpuss paying for the competition prizes out of her own pocket (which she did) - I never had cross stitch products in my possession (men don't cross stitch, do they? :D ).

I thought it was a shame for that one member to make those comments, but if that's the way she feels, she should be allowed to say what she wants (which is why I didn't delete her posts). I have nothing to hide and can't see anything wrong at all with what I have done or am about to do. After all, I am providing a service which is free, so, as one member said - what's the big deal?

I hope you are now less confused purple-footprints :D
StitchingAgain

Post by StitchingAgain »

alex wrote:men don't cross stitch, do they? :D
Ah... but some do! Unfortunately my partner isn't one of them *thinking of the Christmas pressies being finished in half the time* ... He's sadly one of the stitchophobic ones!

Best wishes to Bagpuss!
Gingercat

Post by Gingercat »

My Dad cross stitches and makes a really good job. He used to be an electronics engineer and loves faffing about with minutae. He got cross one day because he'd put the carburettor on his car picture 1 stitch out. It was behind a grid and I couldn't even tell!! He's also good at spotting mistakes and wrong colours.
tina

Post by tina »

well, i'm going to sit in the 'what's the big deal corner' on this one. now come on ladies, we all know nothing is free in the world at large, yes it is nice to have an exclusive forum, the reason we are all here is our collective interest in cross stitch. but, unfortunately exclusive clubs usually come at a cost, someone has to foot the bill. setting up and running web site's does,nt come cheap, not done it myself, but know others who have around other interests, big costs have led to some closing down. if a shop generates the cost of providing this forum free to members, then i don't get what all the fuss is about. after all, the forum will still be here to use, a forum is only as good as it's members, i think this one is excellent, it does not have to change, it may even be more enriched by other members joining who have found it via the shop. at least give it a chance to work, we might all make some new and interesting friends along the way, and buy some great cross stitch.
Becca

Post by Becca »

My boyfriend cross stitches!! :D
Rose

Post by Rose »

Alex shame on you of course men cross. I wish mine would cross-stitch but he says he is all thumbs when I hand him a project. This usually happens when he is giving me advice on how to fix a mistake. They are oh so helpful when they are sitting on the other side of the room. LOL Gotta love them or else they would drive you bonkers Right ladies!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:
catkin

Post by catkin »

:D Alex If you want to see the product of great stitching by a man take a look at www.goldenkite.com. the wip section will blow you're mind.

On the other subject of this forum, which I thought had been put to bed, I appologise for any upset I may have caused you and Bagpuss. I can assure you it was not my intention to upset anyone merely to clear up some points that were not clear to me. I am not wise in the ways of websites and how they are run and when Serinde started questioning what may be going on it got me thinking hence the posts by me. I feel slightly responsable in the fact that I started it off by asking about the listing of websites which I thought would be a good thing as did many other members going by their posts. Maybe I should have corresponded with you in a private post but thats life and we must move on. I very much enjoy being part of the forum and hope to continue do join in for a long time to come. It is a pity that we have not heard anymore from Serinde as she posted regularly and was one of the early members.

Joan
Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex »

Joan, please don't apologise, absolutely no apology needed. Your suggestion may still be actioned. Just got so much to do at the moment, so have not had time to really think about it.

Could start a men only forum for cross stitch - don't think it would really set the world on fire though :D

In fact, I don't think we have even had a single one on this forum (unless they are masquerading as women, too ashamed to come out of the closet). How about a forum for cross dressers? No?....but..... :D
Last edited by Alex on Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Becca

Post by Becca »

I think they might be a little scared to come on here with all us women!!
purple-footprints

Post by purple-footprints »

:oops:
That told me LOL

Well at least we know all our good wishes to bagpus are going directly to her!

Hold on there bagpus, I know a couple of people with MS so i can understand a little how you feel. Its funny because I thought it was ms from the way you spoke. Dont give up, Ive personnally seen miracle healing from ms just last summer.
Becca

Post by Becca »

I tried to look at that golden kite website and it wouldn't let me without a password :(
catkin

Post by catkin »

:? www.goldenkite.com should take you right into the site. Click on W.I.P to see the work of Gary as he is truely a master stitcher. I'm very tempted to get something from this site but must stick to my newyears resolution first to finish all my wip's first.

Joan
Becca

Post by Becca »

Ah it works now, thanks :) The WIPs on there are absolutely amazing
catkin

Post by catkin »

:D What got me was the pic of the back of his work is almost as good as the front :!:
Joan
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

Oh my God what amazing work, and you are right, the back looks as good as the front. That would take me a lifetime, if I was insane enough to try it. Linda :lol:
Linda
Denise

Post by Denise »

As above 'oh my god' puts my pieces to shame all those stitches and different blends as well.....It's absolutely amazing.....nothing more to say

Denise
xx
I've updated my gallery now xxx :-)