Please Keep it simple

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Rose

Please Keep it simple

Post by Rose »

I have been roaming around on the internet looking for a forum for my other interests. I like to crochet as much as I like to Cross-stitch.

Anyway the reason for this new thread is to ask that the people that monitor this site will keep it as easy and user friendly as it is right now. As a new member I was able to easily move in this forum and not become confused as to what I was looking for. On one of the sites I found they required me to give not only my name address and birthdate before I could register and view there different posts. All I wanted was to look around and I couldn't without giving way to much information and I had to register to see some of the information they had. They also had a page and a half of rules to read before you can post. Some of them are just common sence and some are, I don't now they just seemed to over step the boundery. It said something to the effect that any political or religous comments wound be deleted by the forum moderator, it even went so far as to say no prayers for the health of others. Not sure how you ladies feel but I think that they are getting pretty picky and what is the harm of wishing one another well.

So now I will get off my soap box. I just wanted to say I think we are all mature enough to monitor our ideas and keep them in a friendly vein. So I hope this site will thrive and continue to be the helpful and friendly place that I found when I first registered. The help and fun ideas here are the best.
Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex »

Thank you for your input Rose. Our strategy for this site is to keep it as simple as possible and easy to use/understand. We believe it is important to keep the site looking simple and clean because we don't want to detract from the most important aspect of the site - which of course is the content.

This site has amazed me. The people here are so friendly and helpful. This is what makes the site successful, so we have each other to thank. In addition, I do listen to you all and respond accordingly. You asked for a Map and a Gallery, so I put them on. My philosophy is give the members what they want because they will appreciate it and realise that are being listened to. So don't worry Rose, this is and always will be a peoples forum. :D
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

This is a great site, everyone has been so helpful and friendly and I have picked up some really good ideas and tips. It is the simplest and most uncluttered site I have been on, yet all the info you need is right there and easy to use. Glad I found you. Linda :D
Linda
catkin

Post by catkin »

:D This is a great place to meet people of like minds and get an insight to how other stitchers live in other parts of the world. I, for one, have no contact with other stitchers so find it great to be able to discuss a problem and share information I tried to get into a forum before but it seemed to be all ladies from the US and it was difficult for me as an outsider to feel part of it.
Also as many of us rely on ordering from the internet it's a great way to find out about the products available.
I also think it's only natural to think of others when they are ill or having a problem.I think quite a few of us are at home alone in the day due to illness or circumstance and it's nice to know there are people we can chat to all be it online. ( On that note does anyone know how Bagpuss is as we haven't heard from her for a few days now?)

Alex : I have one suggestion as far as internet sites are concerned. Would it be possible to have a section where we could have a list of interesting websites. Many of us suggest websites but if I don't write them down I loose track. It would be great if we could just click to see all the posted sites.

Keep stitchin' and postin' :wink:

Joan
inuyashagirl

Post by inuyashagirl »

Alex

joan has a very good idea there as i had a site that i visited and was told about it here and i wrote it down but lost it and could not remember what it was so if there was a list that we could go to that would be wonderful. Thanks for the suggestion Joan. Is there anyone else that agrees with this.

As far as the site goes this is one of my fave. i used to go to the other forums but now that there is this one haven't been back as every one here treats everyone like a friend so please keep it up

Debbie
tab72

Post by tab72 »

Hi i too agree with joan and debbie, i also have visited other sites and have found them not as easy to use or as helpfull. The nice thing is on this forum is everyone try's to help each other i've never seen another forum like this one it is really great it's a credit to everyone. Keep up all the good work... :lol:

tracey
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I'll just add my voice to this, and say I agree, too, having had a look at other sites where newbies can't post and the rules are strange. Simple is best.

Perhaps other groups need all these rules because they have found in the past that--without regulation -- the posts went down threads which some users found offensive. Many of these groups originate in the US, which is changing quite rapidly at the moment, socially and politically. And some of the troubles probably originate from the nature of the internet itself -- how far can you push 'freedom of speech'?

Anyway, what I'm trying to say, I guess, is that the regular users here have come to 'know' one another. It's like a little village. Isn't it funny how we have become friends, although we are unlikely every to meet? It seems to me that on this forum we are seeing the best of human nature: helpful, funny, sympathetic, supportive.

And we stitch, too!
Last edited by Serinde on Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
welsh wendy

Please keep it simple

Post by welsh wendy »

Hello all :)

This is a great site full of helpfull and friendly advice where we can comunicate with others who are stitchaholics. :D

I find this site a great place to visit and its is the only one that I now use, for me it is especially good as I am confind to the house a lot these days and the day can be soo long when your are on your own but with this site I feel that all of you are indoors with me ready to hear any news.

It chears me up first thing in the morning to log in and catch up with what has been going on when I am in bed as there are so many from all over the world, it really does make the world a smaller place filled with stitchers.

Paradise on earth thanks
Rose

Post by Rose »

When I first found this site I didn't know were it was located (in the world)all I knew was it was what I was looking for and that when I ask for help everyone was right there ready with advice. It was the first site I found tat was as helpful as I need so it is the one I joined and it is the one I will continue to post on.

I love the fact that we are all over the world and I love going to the member list and seeing all the different places that people are from. I wish every one would tell us were they are from but I guess it is a personal preference. Thank you all for all your help and friendship.

OOPs forgot to add that a section specifically for web sites is a great idea!!!!
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

That to me is what keeps me comming back, we are everywhere, stitching, knitting, etc. One day we will take over the world!!! :twisted: Linda (its been a long day and visiting here after a long day makes me happy)
Linda
lindagibb

Post by lindagibb »

Agree with all the sentiments. Everyone is so friendly and helpful and there is none of the bitchiness I have seen in other forums.

Alex agree with Joan's (Catkin) suggestion about having a section for internet links.
purple-footprints

Post by purple-footprints »

Hi, I will also add my little bit too.

I think this site is great and easy to use and friendly. I am one of these internet users where if I click on a site and it has alot of smallprint, and not so much in the way of big clear pictures and simple instructions then I just dont bother with it. Maybe I end up missing out on good sites, maybe not, I really dont know. I guess its a first impressions thing. So I only order from site that are simple to use. If it doesnt clearly state what postage is, what and where the company is etc then I dont use it. I quite simply dont have the time to spend on messing around.

this site is clear and straightforward, what more could anyone want.

And yes, a page for internet links would be good, Im always forgetting where I saw something mentioned.

take care all

Sue

oh p.s. serinade - who said none of us will ever meet up??? Maybe we could arrange to meet at a cross stitvh fair or something once a year in our different countries???? Only an idea!!
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

No, you never do know! :) Pity, we just missed the big show in Glasgow's SECC.

On the other hand, sometimes mystery is a wonderful thing... :wink:
purple-footprints

Post by purple-footprints »

I have another question regarding the forum....

Is there a way (or could there be a way), to kinda have our own hints and tips file in which we could copy a comment or suggestion that has been posted and save it into our own file. gosh I hope Im making sense here. I dont mean on our computers I mean within here, but it would be something we can only access as individuals.

For exampe, I recently asked advice on beading. Say I really wanted to keep one especially helpful instruction out of 20 replies, could there be a way of saving that particular response to our own special 'space'.

I was also thinking that a little while back bagpuss was mentioning plans for bringing more and more into the site in time, like diagrams to show us things etc. It would be really handy to somehow save those that are especially relevent to us individually, without having to scroll through pages of postings.

I sometimes visit a craft site which has hints and tips and shows step by step instruction, there is the option of saving any that are of special interest into your own craft box on the site.

sorry for waffling, i hope ive made sense.

Sue
Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex »

Hi all

I have been lurking here for some time now and can shine a bit of light on all your requests.

Yes, we could add a facility to add web links. It is certainly possible. The only reason we are hesitating before saying yes is that we are soon going to merge this site with another web site which sells cross stitch products. Therefore there could be a conflict of interest. This forum will stay exactly as it is - don't worry. The only difference will be a couple of tabs at the top of the page; you will be able to visit the cross stitch web site without leaving this forum. Likewise, you will be able to just click on the tab at the top of the cross stitch web site to return to this forum.

We have already built the other site and if you want a sneak peak at it, it is at www.uniquecrossstitch.com - you will notice that the tabs are in place on the new site and work, but of course they are not on the forum yet. The new site is already fully operational and can accept orders. We have already taken orders on it and the items have been shipped. We will be adding a lot more stock to the site over the next week and then we will 'polish' the site before launching it.

Please feel free to give us your feedback on the new site, but bear in mind that it is not completely finished. :D

Just like the forum, we will listen to your requests and where possible, we will make them happen. We aim to have a very wide range of products always in stock and at the lowest possible prices.

So, we will probably wait until the new site is launched before starting on the changes that you all have asked for in this thread. Only a week or so.

Remember, we wil try and tailor the site to your requirements, so let us know what you think.

:D
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Left hand side, last box, spelling: "hundereds" to 'hundreds'.

(Don't ya hate editors?)
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Oh sorry, just looked at the Teresa W. kits. More spelling. :( Sorry. I'll stop.
fairie56

Post by fairie56 »

I just read this thread, and I agree with everyone here. This forum, or BB, or whatever it's called (I'm not very computer literate), is indeed very friendly and helpful, even though we're from different parts of the world. I find it interesting to read what others enjoy stitching, and how different it is from where I live.
In regards to that idea for a place for links, would those be for freebies? I have plenty in mind!
Thanks for having me, and keep up the great work! :o
catkin

Post by catkin »

Alex : In the new website terms and conditions it says they will not accept credit card payments but on the left of the home page there is a box stating they are accepted. Which is right?
Prices seem good compared to other UK sites haven't compared them to any US suppliers yet. Big problem for me is the shipping cost. For an 8.49 item shipping would be 10.00 much too expensive.(In the select a country I come under the 'Non of the Above' catagory).
On a positive note the site is user freindly and the special offers are very good.
Joan.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Well, I've had a chance to sleep on it, and my vague sense of disappointment has rather crystalised into unhappiness. I can, of course, only speak for myself.

I thought that I had found a website that exemplified something of the true spirit of the web: people with like interests, friendly and fun, all sharing information. I thought it was quite amazing that prizes were offered (as did many, who even offered to pool resources to pay for them, such is the generosity of the users of this forum). But the prizes weren't the point.

Our opinions were solicited - and, let's face it, we gladly ran rabbits ourselves -- and information given about likes, dislikes, the hows and whens of our stitching days. All simply to help one another. Or so we thought. Now we find that we have taken part unwittingly in a huge marketing exercise.

It's one thing to have a shop or magazine and then run a forum. Everyone knows, literally, where they are. Setting up the forum, knowing that the object was to get the shop website up and running was little short of dishonest. I have been taken advantage of.

I'm very disappointed. Suppose I should have heeded my own advise: if it's too good to be true, it probably is. And especially, TANSTAAFL. Because there really ain't no such thing as a free lunch.