how did you start?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Re: how did you start?

by CavyMom » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:13 am

My grandmother stitched, but by the time I decided I was interested in learning how, she wasn't around to teach me anymore. So I bought a small no-count cross-stitch kit and decided to teach myself. At the time, I had no idea what the difference was between no-count and counted cross stitch, but no-count sounded like it would be easier. When I opened up the kit, I was so disappointed to see that I was only going to get to stitch a few leaves and some roses. :roll:

My next project was a counted cross stitch, and significantly larger. Most of the kits I stitch now tell you how to find the middle of the design to get it centered on your fabric. This kit didn't have any of that, so I just made a guess as to where to start it and I got lucky. The design fit on the fabric, but it wasn't at all centered. (If I had run out of space, I think I might have been mad enough that I would have been done with the hobby forever--you know being a temperamental teenager at the time :oops: )

I've been stitching ever since, although it wasn't until the last eight years or so that I've been stitching regularly. And it wasn't until recently that I started learning things here that have really helped with my stitching. (Thank you loop starts and gridding!) It calms and relaxes me at the end of the day, and I find it therapeutic. There's just so many things I want to stitch and not enough time!
WIPs
Rocky Point

2016 Finishes
Noel Ornament
Sleigh Ride at Dusk stocking
Seashell Treasures

by stitchaddict » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:49 pm

I started when I was 14 years old. My mom always stitch so she bought me santa stitch kit . It was fun and I was stuck. And during my high school year I toke a paus because of my dad wanted to do housework and i didnt had any time. so during my 3 years i only done housework, study when i must sleep and i got 1 hour sleep every school day for 3 years but when I moved out from that hell house. I toke it up again and meet my prince.
:whoop: :whoop: and he said always do some stitching and that is what i do

by CindyW » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:55 am

I started when I was pregnant with my first daughter. My enormous belly made a perfect 'table' for holding my threads. :roll: My first project was a pillow for her nursery. I did birth samplers for both of my girls, and wedding samplers when they married. In between I did lots of projects like experimenting with waste canvas to give them unique tee and sweatshirts. I cross stitched Christmas stockings for all of us. I made toothfairy pillows for them. All of these things have evolved into family traditions.
WIP
    Bygone Days (Christmas stocking
2017 Completed Projects
    Nostalgic Christmas (Christmas stocking)
    On the Pond (Christmas stocking)
    Nativity (Christmas stocking)
    Winter Sampler
    Welcome Sampler

Previous