Lighting help?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Pampam

Lighting help?

Post by Pampam »

I currently only stitch during the day on my days off. Would love to stitch some @ night, but have not found the "right" light yet.
What fixture do you use and why is it the best solution for you?
MaggieM1750

Re: Lighting help?

Post by MaggieM1750 »

This is the Ott lite that I have. (If you are looking at an OttLite.. they are ALWAYS on sale at JoAnn's.. if they are not when you decide to buy one, wait a week and they will be)

It sits on a table on my right side. The base is surprisingly solid and it is easy to position it how I want it.
This is my first task light and I do like it.. however I would say there are some things I hadn't even thought about before buying. This is almost like a spot light. I wish the light were a little less focused- it can be hard to switch between looking at my stitching, to looking at my tool box or thread pile. I have it on a table right next to a regular lamp. I think it makes the table look cluttered so when I am not stitching, I put my Ott lite on the floor.

I think I would like the version of a floor lamp that has an up light, and the focused down light, or styles that have the long tube light not the regular bulb style.
I also would prefer to have the light source to come from behind me, behind my shoulder as opposed to the right side. Which is also why I think I would prefer a floor lamp style and not a desk lamp. I hadn't really thought about where I wanted my light to come from before I bought it.
Rose

Post by Rose »

I have this one except http://www.herrschners.com/product.aspx?sku=321108&qid=" target="_blank that mine has an accesorries tray along with it that holds thread and scissors and stuff like that I could not do near as well without it. I love my light. :wub: :wub:
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Vega

Post by Vega »

I have a little desk lamp with a moveable neck. It has an accessory tray that holds my marking pen, scissors, and current thread. Here's a link to it http://www.walmart.com/ip/your-zone-kee ... k/14895662" target="_blank But mine iwas clear instead of the black color. The shade is frosted white. I also found a magnet will stick to the neck and has become my needle holder. :D I use a 40watt natural light bulb.
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

Love my Ott lite. Have had it for several years and haven't changed the bulb yet. (did I just jinx that? :shock: :shock: ) Cooler than a regular lite and truer colour.
Linda
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

This is what I use. It's a floor lamp with a magnifier and LED light. At one point I had a tabletop daylight lamp before I started stitching in my recliner. It worked well, but I found the daylight bulbs way too harsh on my eyes after a while, and it literally started to hurt to use it for too long. I much prefer the softer LED lights. My only complaint about it is that it's very unstable, so I have to prop it up with my recliner or it falls over easily.
WIPs (in rotation):
Wolves--(23,226/118,400; 19.62%)
Disneyland Castle
Chaperon of Light--(15,539/200,000; 7.77%)
Hidden Spirits

UFOs:
Free Flight
Cat and Flowers
Parksfarm

Post by Parksfarm »

I have this one, the Dublin, and I absolutely LOVE it! :D

http://www.craftlite.net/MultiPurposeLamps.html" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

I spent $250 on a floor stand OTT lamp a few years ago and it lasted only one year before dying. And not just the bulb either, the whole lamp died... I was sooo ticked off!
Dana

WIPs

HAEDS
Lovers, Christmas Fairy, Goblins Fae Guide, Autumn Pears, Ride the Wind, Chimera Black Rose, Surfers Dream, Witching Hour, QS Nostlagy, Lg Treasure Hunt Bookshelf, Owen

Chatelaine
Konstantinople Hamam, Serengeti, Alpine Seasons
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

This is something I don't have still. I have to sit in the kitchen of an evening if I want to stitch, at the table. The lights are too soft in the other rooms.
Would be much nicer though to be able to sit in a nice comfy chair with a good light.

Hope you find the best light for you. :)
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
agi

Post by agi »

I have never had enough money to buy one of those.
However, I can't stand darkness around me, so I always have all the five bulbs on in my ceiling lamp so the whole room is bright around me. But this is not really good enough for stitching. My solution is a very cheap one. 2 years ago my ex saved a camera tripod from his school's garbage. It can stand all right but the part that holds the camera is broken. We bought two very cheap lamps from the Ikea, with flexible necks, and put them o the tripod. In the old flat I used to have one pointing towards the ceiling, ad the other pointing down. In the new place the ceiling is too high, so both of them are pointing downwards. And I put it on my left, a little bit behind me so there is no shadow when I stitch. Works perfectly.
Also, in England I bought some daylight bulbs to use in the lamps, but they didn't really make any difference to me, so now I just use ordinary bulbs.
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
milkmaid

Post by milkmaid »

i'm the same never really could justify the cost when there was a lot of other things the children ect needed
so mine is a little clip on light £2.50 i use them to heat the chicks when they come out of the incubator ,i brought a few ,the other i use for stitching with daylight bulb ,it's clipped on to a clothes drier which i get out when i need to stitch although my husband saw a cheap flexy stand light when he went shopping and said it's about time i moved up
mig-3

Post by mig-3 »

My lighting is on the cheap. I have a Wal-Mart house brand torchier lamp with gooseneck reading light built onto it. I use a 65 watt spot/flood lamp in the gooseneck lamp. With the torchier sitting behind my recliner, the gooseneck lamp comes over my shoulder & is high enough to adjust to whatever angle I need. You can pick up both, the torchier and flood bulb for about $20.00.
Jarvis
helbel

Post by helbel »

I have a floor standing lamp with a Daylight bulb (energy saving) over my shoulder. Works a treat. The light is so white and light. Plus no heat as it's energy saving, so it's the equivalent of 100w but only uses 20w.

http://uk.daylightcompany.com/product/2 ... ight-bulb/" target="_blank
milkmaid

Post by milkmaid »

husband was reading over my shoulder and has just said right i'm off to get you that lamp we saw yesterday :P
skitzzzzz

Post by skitzzzzz »

iam a cheap skate to lol i have a bendy arm lamp in a brcket on the wall with day light bulb
ill have to find the thread cost about £25 and its great
W.I.P
Still Life with Roses GK
Frost GK

http://www.facebook.com/skitzzzzz" target="_blank" target="_blank
tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

I have what mig-3 has, basically same set up, just a couch instead of a recliner.

FYI Ott lites are 50% off at JoAnns this week! I just got an email. (might be online only)
Nachstenliebe

Post by Nachstenliebe »

http://www.amazon.com/Normande-Lighting ... 63&sr=8-13" target="_blank
This is the lamp hubby bought me for Christmas. I love it!
Faith
vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

I have the daylight clip on lamp. I have a work station tray that I have on my lap when I stitch so I just clip it to that. I wouldn't be without it!
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
milkmaid

Post by milkmaid »

bless him he just brought me the last standing lamp ,the bendy bit at the side didn't work so he got it for 6 pounds ,he's just spent and hour rewiring it so it does , :D so no more using the clothes airer for my lighting :applesauce: :D
Pampam

Post by Pampam »

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate your help...you even added links--I'm impressed! I've not made a final decision yet, but you sure have helped in the process!
And Milkmaid--Congrats. Sounds like you've got a winner with your hubby =) Hang on to him :D
lorie

Post by lorie »

@MaggieM1750: If you like the “long tube” type, maybe try the Brightech LED Arc floor lamp. It has a strong output at 2000 lumens but the light is spread along a long arc-shaped body so it’s not too focused. Instead the light is very soft and even within the range, which means your irises don’t have to adjust when switching between your stitching and other objects). The olor temperature is 3000K (warm white), which is very suitable for nighttime activities because it doesn't contain too much blue light to mess with your sleep. You can put it right behind where you sit to get the light from both of your shoulders, or to the side where you want more light. The height is adjustable so it’s quite versatile and is easy to fit with the height of your table. The lamp is thin too - you can put it at places with very limited space.

You can find more info for the lamps here . Hope it helps!