introduction, comments and questions.

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

purple-footprints

introduction, comments and questions.

Post by purple-footprints »

[quote][/quote] Hi all,
I have been recommended to check out this site from a seller at ebay, and thought id best introduce myself.
Ive had a quick look, and think its a great idea. A perfect way to share tips and ideas. I shall remember the tip of how the get the creases out - thanks.
And a gallery sounds like a great idea.
I started doing tapestry about 15 years ago, and progressed to cross stitch not long after. I have stitched many projects, but sadly had a very bad experience with an ex partner last year, and he destroyed all my work and threads - the lot! (along with alot of other personal items).
This year I decided it was time to replace what i could, and started searching on ebay. I have been very lucky so far and found 2 kits that were extra special, and Im slowly getting a collections of threads and charts again. Of course the traggic part is that I shall have to stitch them all over again!!

I have a question or two. I have several charts which show the picture, and list of threads needed and how many stitches the project will be when finished. But how do you work out what size fabric to use, and how does it vary with the different count aida?

Also does anyone have any advice or tips for framing. Its so expensive to have it done, i was wondering if it would be easy enough to do myself.

Finally I wanted to ask, are we allowed to share charts etc between ourselves if/when we wanted? I ask only because i didnt know about copyright legalities.

Well i hope to keep in touch regularily, it looks like the site has alot to offer.

Take care for now, and happy stitching to you all!!

Sue
bagpuss

RE: Fabric size etc.......

Post by bagpuss »

Hi Sue & Welcome :)

We are glad you have come on board. Thankfully, we do have a few friends on eBay who have been kind enough to start introducing new friends to the site.

As you can see it is fairly new and we really would like to encourage more people to register. Maybe you would like to help spread the word. Also, as promised, this is a free forum with a great future. We intend to offer many services and free competitions, lots of information which as you will find shortly, I can help you with a few of your own.

All being well today, we should launch February's Competition. The first Prize will be A Dimensions Gold Collection Kit with nine runner up prizes of DMC Publications. Now you have registered and posted a few lines you are automatically entered into the competition and the winners will be announced at the end of February, just as the March Comp is about to start :D

I am sorry to hear about your ex partner, some people can be so cruel and believe me, I know from pesonal experience :!: However, let's not dwell on the past we should be looking to the future and what a great place to come and start by making lots of new friends. :)

If you let me have the stitch count of your charts, I can let you know the fabric size you will need. It usually has a rule of 100 stitches per square inch using 14 count fabric, which, I personally find is the easiest aida to work with and you still get amazing results even if your piece should be stitched on somethig like 32 count evenweave :!: That brings me to the next issue for working with different sizes of aida, you will not find much difference with the rule of sizing between 14,16, & 18 count, just a maximum of a centimetre. I usually say Millimetres but to be on the safe side it is always better to add a little extra and you can never go wrong. Also, if like me you do not like to use evenweave, you can easily convert to aida by just halving the count, ie: 32ct = 16ct aida and so on!

Framing: I know exactley what you mean about the cost. Some framers just see you coming :!: It is not at all difficult to frame your own work inexpensively. If you visit your local craft store you can buy a board by DMC called Pres-on. It is an Acid free adhesive backing for mounting needlecraft projects. Perfect. All you have to do is remove the paper backing, line up your work over the top and press it onto the board gently, maybe carefully pulling each side out to get a smooth finish. If you do get any creases it is easy to remove and try again. Just make sure you have finished off your straggly ends of thread well, especially when using light fabrics! Otherwise, you may just be able to see the excess through the fabric which can be frustrating..........Speaking from nearly 20 years of experience LOL. The board can be bought in various sizes and is really inexpensive. Finally you find the frame. As you probably know, it is so easy to get very inexpensive frames from almost anywhere now. The only place they seem to be excessively priced are at the framers or in photo shops.

Finally :) We do not encourage, the sharing or copying of charts between ourselves on this site for exactly the reason you mention. We will not flout the copyright laws, we sincerely believe it is unfair & obviously illegal. However, we will in the future make available for FREE downloads, copyright free designs.

Well Sue, I hope this has helped and you feel welcome? You are most welcome and I along with others, look forward to getting to know you better and having fun and laughs along the way.

One last note. If you haven't already, please make a point of reading any posts by Alex as he is the techno-head :lol: Sorry, I could not resist :!: Seriously though, you will get a great insight of what we will soon have to offer. He has taken a great interest in the forum for us all and will work with us to produce as many needs as we request that are not beyond reason and of course do not flout the law.

Welcome Aboard Sue :)

I hope you have a nice day.

Bagpuss
aka Courtney
razzamatazz

Post by razzamatazz »

Hi Sue

Welcome, nice to see another friendly face on the forum. It seems I'm the only inexperienced cross stitcher here so I'm hoping to learn a lot...I'm relying on you girls!

Sorry to hear about your hard work being destroyed xx

Maggie (razzamatazz) 8)
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Hi Sue

There are special places reserved for destroyers of artwork.

Once, long ago, I gave a piece of tapestry I had finished stitching to a friend for safe-keeping, because I had to travel and my accommodation wasn't terribly secure. He later claimed this distinctive, unframed piece had been done by his grandmother. The lesson learned there: always sign your pieces (somewhere or somehow).

I see Bagpuss has admirably explained how to do the maths!

Personally, I like evenweaves, but will stitch on just about anything. Here's a little tip, though. Try using 3 strands on 14ct aida. The coverage is much better. Kits usually give you huge amounts of thread anyway, and I've never run out of a colour yet.
purple-footprints

hi,

thanks for all your replies.

The chart Im trying to work out the fabric size for, is one i got online as a free download. Ive printed it out and the squares for stitching on the chart are 50 across and 70 down. It included everything except fabric details. It must sound daft that i dont know how to work it out, but Ive always stitched kits before or charts from books that have had fabric details included. You said the general rule is 100 stitches per square inch for 14 count, so if Ive got this right, that means I would need a piece of fabric 5 inch by 7 inch. Does that allow for a decent sized amount of space around the edges??

By the way I mostly stitch with 14 count aida, and have never had a go on evenweave. Ive heard some say its alot easier, especially for doing the quarter and three quarter stitching, but I didnt follow, so never opted for that.

Similarly I dislike printed fabrics for similar reasons, I actually find them harder for some reason. Give me a chart and an empty canvas and Im happy.

Just so as Im clear, how do you know if a chart is copyright or not. I can understand how a kit would be, but what about magazines and books etc? I wasnt sure if they are as they are so much more available in libraries/shops etc. Trust me i support copyright and wasnt want to break the rules, i dont even copy cd's or the like for the same reasons.

Thanks for the tip on personalizing completed work, do you have any suggestions on a good way to do it so it doesnt spoil the main design too much.

And as far as Im concerned, theres no such thing as inexperience..... even though Ive been stitching for many years, I learn new things with every chart I do. And after coming here and hearing all these tips, ti goes to show how much theres still to learn!!! for example Ive never used beads, but think Id like to try that.

cya again soon

Sue
bagpuss

Copyrights & Fabric

Post by bagpuss »

Evening Serinde,

Many thanks for your compliment. It is much appreciated. However, I have only ever used two strands with 14 count, unless you have a design with a lot of depth and numerous colours otherwise, I find the work gets a little to tight.

Sue, if your stitch count is 50 x 70 that works out to 5" x 7" but your fabric size needs to be at least 8" x 10" otherwise you will indeed be sewing on the edges.

Copyright is an issue we take very seriously on this forum and we follow the rules tightly. To start blatantly swapping, copyrights etc can get us closed down. We could also end up being sued or have a huge fine imposed upon us. So PLEASE Just Say NO :!: Magazines are indeed all copyrighted charts, with permission of the designers or the companies concerned. There are occassions when some magazines provide a copyright free design which we will of course, produce for you to download free of any charges.

Charts that you buy for personal use are also copyrighted which is obviously to protect the designers and the producers. We have to be stringent I am afraid. I know it seems so trivial just to copy the odd pattern and pass it on but the law is the law. SORRY Ladies & Gents.........when we find any :wink:

If someone has finished with a magazine and no longer needs it, then providing they are not copying and passing on the charts you can indeed swap or buy them from each other that is not a problem. What you do outside of the forum is entirely your business. all we ask is that you please respect our rather stringent but honest and fair regulations. Thanks Ladies. I know you will all understand! Besides, now we are here do we really want to get closed down...............What's that I hear..............Of course we don't :wink:

BTW Sue, I too mainly use 14 count and a blank canvas by far the best way.

We seem to have a few things in common between us all apart from the plain obvious.

Anyway ladies, there are bound to be the odd bad day for myself, with my disabilty and all. Today, my headache has not cleared, so I am going to call it a night, but for the most time, I will be here everyday to chat and help anyway I can. If I do have an off day and you need anything at all, just drop a line to Alex and he can contact me and get an answer for you.

I have to say, I am pleased to be making new friends and truly enjoy chatting with you all.

Goonight :roll:

Bagpuss
purple-footprints

Hi

Thanks for that.

I have just last night finished a small project on 14 count black aida. Part of the main design instructed stitching with 3 threads, then there were half stitches with 2 strands, writing and back stitching. I have to say I agree, I actually found it a little harder to work with the 3 strands, and it was very tight trying to do the quarter stitches. I also found that the way the threads naturally twisted together gives a very slightly uneven appearance when viewed close up. Overall Im pleased with it, but may think twice about using 3 strands together in the future.

thanks for the advice on the fabric :) I will start stitching tonight.... Its a taddy teddy design with a big red love heart, and Im under instruction from my daughter to stitch it for her boyfriend for valentines. I will take on board your previous framing tips and see how it turns out - although its already the 3rd, so the pressure is on!

Sorry to have harped on so much about copyrights, and thanks for explaining it all so well. I think I must be a bit of a worry wart. I dont want to break any laws, and wanted to be totally clear so i didnt do anything wrong unintentionally.

I hadnt realised you had a disability??? I hope its nothing that interferes too much with stitching. And I hope your headache clears quickly.

I suffer from migranes, so I can sympathize. I have recently been diagnosed with carpal tunnel, luckily its not too bad, so so far so good with my sewing.

Best of wishes to you all

Sue
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Thumbs down on three strands then! :wink: I hate quarter and half stitches and would Never Attempt them with three strands. (I rarely attempts them with two strands...) Yipes.

How to sign a piece. Well, I've worked out a simple monogramme for myself, but a quick and tiny design that is associated with your own work would do the trick, too. Sometimes it's simple to work these into the stitching. (I'm thinking of samplers and bellpulls and that sort of thing which are crying out to be personalised.) I have signed and dated large framed pieces done for friends on the back insert and even on the brown paper that framers sometimes use. If I were really worried, I would take a photograph of the piece. I've never had to do that, though.
purple-footprints

Hi serinde

I think its a great idea to personalize, and the thought had never crossed my mind before you mentioned it here. Like you say, it is a great way to add something unquie and of yourself to a piece.

I will endevour to do this in the furture.

Thanks

Sue