Help! I can't say no! - I DID IT!!!

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

vanessanjf

Help! I can't say no! - I DID IT!!!

Post by vanessanjf »

I have a real problem with saying no to people who ask for me to stitch them pictures. As you may remember I have stitched things for people in the past and it has made me feel so unhappy and stressed. I like to stitch things I like and it never gives me the same pleasure stitching what other people want. I vowed never to do another one for someone else after doing the knight picture and guess what's happened? Yes someone asked me to do another. I didn't give a direct yes but I said I have a few of my own to do first. They are always quite big ones people want too and I am losing so much time from doing my own.
Help! How do you say no to someone without feeling bad??
Last edited by vanessanjf on Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
fccs

Re: Help! I can't say no!

Post by fccs »

Unless it is a very good friend asking, I wouldn't feel bad saying no, that I have too many projects already. If it is a good friend, I'd probably cave and do it...but I'd not put a time limit on it.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

No it's just a work colleague who I'm not close with at all.
Vanessa

WIP
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

Vanessa, I've been there, have seen that. Now my "no" is polite but firm. You may end like I did a few years ago- in stopping stitching at all. Now I smile and say, "If you want that picture so much, why dont you sit down and stitch it yourself? If you dont know how, I will give you an hour's lesson, but that will be it". You should not let people turn your hobby into hard work with long hours, stress and no pleasure.

Those too insisting should be explained that stitching has always been your hobby, and if they want to have something stitched- there are many stitchers who do this for money gladly.
Lyudmila
mags

Post by mags »

Oh gosh, no, it is your hobby, you must stitch what you want to stitch and not what anybody else wants.
Do they not realise how much time it takes to do the sort of projects you do?
Please just say no, you can't/you don't have time/you now only stitch things for yourself/whatever.
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

I don't think people realise how much work goes into our projects.
Vanessa

WIP
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

It's one thing if someone asks you to stitch something small. Like a letter on a baby's bib or a yellow ducky. Assuming they bought the supplies.
I agree some people don't understand how much time it takes and what an effort it is to stitch a long project. Since it is not someone close to you, and not something you will enjoy doing, I think it is perfectly reasonable to say that you have quite a few large projects going on at the moment and that you don't have the time right now to add another project. I like the idea of offering to show the person how to stitch. There are those who will stitch for a price and don't mind what the project is. You could offer to see if anyone on the forum would be interested, if you feel like you might have to offer something. But please don't put yourself into that situation again. Especially for someone you aren't close to.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
stitchnsew

Post by stitchnsew »

I have a very close friend who said she wished I could stitch 'something ' for her. I just told her that I have 12 other projects all lined up that I plan on doing first, and by my calculations, it will take about 25 years. After stating those facts, the subject got dropped, and yet I didn't exactly have to say 'no'. A little while later though, I did surprise her by stitching up a small Christmas ornament that only took me about a week to do, but it was something I picked out and felt like doing.
WIP
It's About Time-HAED, Ciro Marchetti
Sanctuary of Knowledge-HAED, Randall Spangler
Little Cake Shop-HAED, Aimee Stewart
Coming To Room SS MC-HAED, Jan Krasney
Everything So Beautiful-HAED, Alan Giana
A Stitch In Time-Aimee Stewart
Eden- Andy Russell
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

I agree. People don't realize how much work (and materials) go into a piece. They think we can just 'whip it out' in short order. If you don't want to do it, just say you can't possibly fit it in with the other things you already have lined up, but you'd be happy to show them how to do it if they really want in done.

WIP
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I like "Podolydanka" has said about offering them a lesson or two. Just explain that it would take x amount of hours and you just don't have that time to spare. Since growing older I have found it very easy to say "no". A few people were a bit shocked/surprised but enough is enough.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Ajay

Post by Ajay »

The only thing I will stitch for people is birth announcements, or a wedding, or what I call letter ones. My friend just asked me to stitch her her last name in a specific alphabet for her house. I always tell them I will but may take me awhile.
If anyone uses Whatsapp, pm me to connect.

WIP
Woodland Enchantress-----She's not talking to me
Frederick The Literate-----I have upset this cat somehow
Jolly Trio Stocking-----Not ready to think of the C word yet
Frosted Pumpkin MSAL 2017
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

What everyone has said here. Since you can bet they wouldn't be willing to pay for a bespoke work of art (at a penny a stitch, a 100x200 stitch piece would cost $200, plus materials...), why should they think you'll do this for the love of stitching? Offer to teach them, of course, because it's a lovely craft which has proven stress-busting benefits as well as the potential for a wide circle of international friends. :wave:

I'll say no for you, if you want. :twisted:
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Tell you what, Vanessa, say you'll do it after finishing 'Adoration of the Kings' as that is a big project you'd like to finish. As you only have about 650,000 stitches to go, that'll be done in 5-6 years. Alternatively, if they really want it sooner, you'll give them a few lessons on doing it themselves. It's a no without quite saying 'no'.

Or start muttering about £7.50 per hour, 140 stitches an hour, and how big the project is... Materials extra at £1.05p per skein.
No-one has asked me to do their projects for them, maybe they already know the answer! (The fact it's an engineering company & I'm considered to be on the wrong side of sane may play its part too.)

I tend to liken it to a kit car. Would anyone wander up to an acquaintance and ask them to spend 600 hours building their kit car for them? If not, why would they ask for the same time expenditure on a small piece of coloured fabric? Maybe that's what you should do, find their hobby, and ask them to do a similar time expenditure for you, see how they respond and give a final reply based on the reflection of their answer. It would hit home then just how much effort goes into cross stitch and how big a request it is.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Purple Patsy

Post by Purple Patsy »

I'm with all of the above. Offer to teach them and failing that price yourself out of the market unless the project is small and would only take a couple of evenings. Or should I say a half hour at the rate you stitch. :D
WIPs
The Astronomer (HaED)
Gamer Nouveau (Gecko Rouge)
Woodland Enchantress (Dimensions)
Sagi No Mai (Maia)

Finishes on forum
Starry Night with TARDIS 12 Aug 2016 -27 June 2017
Royal Holiday
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I think the secret is to "be firm but kind", as Maria sings in the Sound of Music :-)

If you already know you won't enjoy it, it would have to be for a very special person and/or a very special purpose to say yes - and as others have said, why do people expect that we will do this for them just for the "fun" of it?

But I do really like Podolyanka's suggestion of offering to teach them - you may win a convert to this lovely hobby!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

P.S. Most of my stitchings go to family and friends as presents (some I use instead of a "Thank you" card). You know I dont stitch "minis", but serious (larger) stuff. But this is my choice, my decision, my pleasure- to stitch for very special to me people. This is absolutely different from stitching for a "stranger".
So, Vanessa, smile, say "I can teach you to stitch" and wave. True, some people dont understand untill you say firmly, "Sorry, honey, find someone else, I do not stitch on order".
Lyudmila
vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

I think I will have to stop putting my finished work on my Facebook page. That is where people are seeing it and getting ideas.
Vanessa

WIP
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

What if you put it on your FB page together with the number of stitches and the hours it took to stitch?
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

Yes I'm sure non stitchers would be shocked at how long they take.
Vanessa

WIP
Stitchinkitty

Post by Stitchinkitty »

Gotta love Richard's answer.
I've never been in the position of having friends ask me to stitch for them.They know better..Plus with all the WIPs,kitted ups and must do nexts I need to live until 2198 to do them all.
Marilyn in SE Queensland

"People who hate cats will come back as mice in their next life."

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~mmoorhouse" target="_blank" target="_blank"