help back stitching

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Shamcc

help back stitching

Post by Shamcc »

Greetings. I have a question about back stitching. I am wondering if you should stop in every hole or if you can go over a few. Is there a right or wrong way or is it simpley a preference? I would love to hear anyones opinion.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Most back stitching is from hole to hole -- you are outlining. However, there are times when a single thread is used to create detail, such as rigging on a mast of a ship. Your design will make it clear.
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

first welcome! as was said, it depends on your pattern. it should tell you. there are times both ways are called for.
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Welcome to the Forum first of all. I usually stitch each hole but if there is an angle that requires a sloping stitch then I will slant over 2 holes. Hope this helps. I am always unpicking until it looks right!! :?
Rose

Post by Rose »

This can be one of those personal preference stitching rules. Some do every hole I do every other hole and some times every third hole it will depend on the size of the count and what the pattern looks like. Also if there is an angle to the stitching the number of holes you skip will depend on the pattern and how the lines are suppose to enhance the picture.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Shamcc

Post by Shamcc »

Thank you for the imput. I am working on one that I want to enter in a competition so I am just trying to make sure I am doing it right. I usually like to backstitch over a few holes at a time so we will see. Thanks again.
lindagibb

Post by lindagibb »

First of all welcome to the family. I am sure you will enjoy dropping in.

Now back to the question, I tend to back stitch in every hole. However I read somewhere else about stitching into every second hole. I tried it on the last piece I did I find it looks just as good.
Ekidna

Post by Ekidna »

Just to show everyone's different, I do both, if it's a detailed design I backstitch every hole (unless there's an angle) but if it's say a childrens cartoon picture I do every second hole. Good Luck with the competition, shamcc! Welcome to the forum!

Facebook: Sarah-Kay Scholefield
Twitter: purplechidna

My WIP's
Home Sweet Home Cushion Sets
Flower Set - 2 to go
Olga Gostin Australian Houses Set - 4 to go