Good books?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

crisscross

Good books?

Post by crisscross »

I am a new member, and after having read through many of your threads, I realise that I am VERY green in terms of cross stitching :shock: . Are there any good books that you could recommend I read. I mean, I don't even know what evenweave or aida means, plus way too many things to mention! When I did my sampler a friend gave me a piece of fabric (I think she said it was Irish linen), a photocopy of a pattern and I set off to buy the necessary threads and needle and proceeded to plough away at it on my own.

Yesterday, via Google, I discovered a cross stitch shop in Cape Town, and I plan on visiting there in the week as I am so keen to start another project, and maybe they have a couple of books I could look at.
Genevieve

Post by Genevieve »

Hi Crisscross,

A really good book is 'The Cross Stitcher's Bible' by Jane Greenoff. It covers the basics, but also moves onto more complex stitching. Also look for magazines which usually have instructions for beginners at the back. Having said that, I think the way you worked on the sampler your friend gave you was excellent - I don't think I could have started without some help from my DH (who had done some beautiful stitching before I began).

If you go onto the General section of the forum, Rose has put a glossary of stitching terms which I'm sure you will find useful.

You may well find that the people in the cross stitch shop will be extremely helpful - stitchers usually are.

Hope this has helped somewhat, but do feel free to ask anything. I haven't been stitching as long as some people and their knowledge is VAST! :shock:

Do let us know how you get on. :D
Ekidna

Post by Ekidna »

Speaking for myself, I started the same way as you.... jumped in at the deep end!! I've picked up most of the technical stuff along the way. Mainly through magazines and this forum. You'll be "talking the talk" in no time!!

I agree with Genevieve tho about the 'Cross stitcher's Bible' I borrowed this from my friend to read about the different fabrics, and what needles to use, but ended up learning about lots more!

Facebook: Sarah-Kay Scholefield
Twitter: purplechidna

My WIP's
Home Sweet Home Cushion Sets
Flower Set - 2 to go
Olga Gostin Australian Houses Set - 4 to go
ConnieO

Post by ConnieO »

I have that book too! But like the others, I kinda picked it up as I went along. I used the instructions on the first kit I bought and magazines to learn the techniques and the lingo! :D
A stitch in time is my idea of a perfect day!
Connie :-)
crisscross

Post by crisscross »

Thanks so much for your replies :D . Well, I couldn't contain myself, so I set off for the cross stitch shop today! Unfortunately they did not have any books, but I am going to try to order the Cross Stitcher's Bible via the internet... thanks for the tip.

Genevieve ~ you are right, I managed to pick up a couple of tips from the lady who owns the shop. She showed me how she starts a row of crosses. She takes a single thread, folds it over and sort of loops it at the back. Sorry, not a very good explanation, but it is easier than leaving a little piace at the back to stitch over. I picked up a new pattern for a sampler ~ it is called Dickens' Village Sampler by Margaret Margaret and I am SO excited to have more stitching to do. So far I have wound all my new threads onto their little cardboard holders and have started with a few stitches. I was also lucky enough to be able to buy some backdated magazines which I have been poring over all afternoon. I must say, you guys in the US and UK have fabulous patterns to choose from!!

I am off to the general section to find out some proper stitching terms :D . Thanks for all the advice.
ConnieO

Post by ConnieO »

Crisscross, you described a loop knot perfectly! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I use that method too, it saves too many little loose bits hanging around on the back. You are lucky to have discovered that method so soon, it was years before I found out about it! :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:
A stitch in time is my idea of a perfect day!
Connie :-)
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

ConnieO wrote:Crisscross, you described a loop knot perfectly! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I use that method too, it saves too many little loose bits hanging around on the back. You are lucky to have discovered that method so soon, it was years before I found out about it! :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes It took me a while before I discovered that method. I think most of us have learned the basics on our own then pick up the rest by trial and error, with the help of books and mags. I am still surprised at how much I don't know and I have been stitching about 18 years! So we are all still learning.
Oh by the way, welcome to the forum from Canada.
Linda
Ekidna

Post by Ekidna »

I use that loop method now too, I only discovered it in January, but I love it, saves so much pfaffing about with waste knots etc. :roll: So glad you got some mags and the book on the way. The sampler sounds gorgeous!

Facebook: Sarah-Kay Scholefield
Twitter: purplechidna

My WIP's
Home Sweet Home Cushion Sets
Flower Set - 2 to go
Olga Gostin Australian Houses Set - 4 to go
Rose

Post by Rose »

Books and magazines are a great reference but do remember that this is an art and each one of us will get the result we are after by doing things our own way. We all have to find what works best for us as an individual. The terms we use can be confusing but ask us for a more in depth explanation and you will find it is something you are probably already doing just didn't know what it was called.

The glossary is a work in progress but is meant to help with some of the terms we have. I need to get back to it but things have been a bit busy for me lately.

As some others have said I personally have been stitching for over 20 years and there are still new things I am learning. It is great fun and I hope we can continue to help you out.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror