Thread question, out of production from old chart

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Wise Owl

Thread question, out of production from old chart

Post by Wise Owl »

I have a chart (no sure how old) but it says they used Anchor reflecta 300 gold. I can’t really find this anywhere to purchase and I’m wondering if this is the old name for their current metallic thread? So does that mean I can buy any metallic thread?

I’ve seen there is a previous post on this forum back in 2018, similar question. Others suggested not to buy DMC metallic, and instead try Gutermann sulky, Kreinik or Glisson gloss - anyone who has experience with these like to suggest a safe bet?
This will be my first time using metallic thread.
Mabel Figworthy

Re: Thread question, out of production from old chart

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I don't know how thick Reflecta was, but my go-to metallic thread is Rainbow Gallery's Petite Treasure Braid (or Kreinik's #4 Braid, which is pretty much identical to it). That is about the thickness of two strands of stranded cotton, I'd say, and I've always found it easy to work with (it's the metallic I used in the various rainbows for the word Hope)
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Wise Owl

Post by Wise Owl »

I think the reflecta is the same thickness as one stranded cotton, because the chart says to use two strands of the gold for the main design, back stitch and French knots.

So from your suggestion, I could use the one strand of the rainbow gallery or kreinik instead?
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Yes, or if you prefer a thinner thread doubled up, you could use Madeira GlissenGloss, which is about half the thickness of the two I mentioned and which is also easy to work with.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Wise Owl

Post by Wise Owl »

Great, thanks for your help Mabel :D
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I might have some Reflecta. Let me check... (back soon...)

Alas. I have silver Reflecta, not gold. sorry about that. Don't be afraid of DMC. It's not my favourite by a long way, but if you only use relatively short lengths, it's beautiful once stitched.
Wise Owl

Post by Wise Owl »

Thank you Serinde for your help.
All these other threads can be confusing especially only looking online, I can’t appreciate how they look now that the non essential shops have closed.

I just needed to be sure that what I replace the reflecta with is a similar texture. It’s for a lucky cat pattern, the little gold piece that is in front of the cat 😺
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I can send the spool to you, if you'd like. Think of it as stash. If this sounds like a good idea, send me a pm with your address (and probably your name too lol).
Wise Owl

Post by Wise Owl »

Aw that’s so kind of you!
Only if you are sure, I’ve sent you a message with my details.

❤️
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

If I may, might I suggest that as it is your first time using metallic thread to try a few practice stitches on a small piece of aida?

Whichever thread you end up using, may I also suggest using shorter lengths of thread as they do have a tendency to fray.

Hope this helps.
Wise Owl

Post by Wise Owl »

That is a great point, I’ll be sure to try them first and keep the threads short.
I’m not great at French knots yet either, so I should try them out too with the metallic thread 😅
Thank you Garnet ❤️
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

It's also helpful to loop the thread onto your needle. Start to thread your needle with a large loop of thread, but before you pull it all the way through, put the point of the needle through the loop. You can then adjust the thread by pulling on the long end. In effect, you are tying the slippery metallic thread to your needle. It does help! :P
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Serinde wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:52 am It's also helpful to loop the thread onto your needle. Start to thread your needle with a large loop of thread, but before you pull it all the way through, put the point of the needle through the loop. You can then adjust the thread by pulling on the long end. In effect, you are tying the slippery metallic thread to your needle. It does help! :P
I agree!! Works like a charm!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Wise Owl

Post by Wise Owl »

I'm not sure what I'm getting myself into now :tizzy: :tizzy: :tizzy:
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

Serinde wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:52 am It's also helpful to loop the thread onto your needle. Start to thread your needle with a large loop of thread, but before you pull it all the way through, put the point of the needle through the loop. You can then adjust the thread by pulling on the long end. In effect, you are tying the slippery metallic thread to your needle. It does help! :P
And if I stitch in 3 strands? One of the methods to anchor the thread at the beginning is to pull the needle with the thread through the fabric (on the wrong side, of course) and then to pull it through the "end" (at least through one strand of it).
Lyudmila
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Indeed, Lyudmila. :D