How do you organize your floss?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

frankattleborough

Re: How do you organize your floss?

Post by frankattleborough »

Sylvia used to keep hers in plastic thread organizer boxes by colour, until I persuaded her it would be better in numerical order. There are now 7 of these boxes! The threads are all wound onto either plastic or card bobbins with the number pencilled in, a job which she invariably got me to do, and that was before I took up cross stitch!!

Husbands do have their uses, but bless her heart, I hope she is looking down on me continuing with projects she would have done.
Smile and the world smiles with you

Work in progress

Family Coat of Arms - Finished
Spike in Charge (Kit) Restarted
Water Garden - Tapestry - will take about another year!!
Norwich Cathedral
kathryn

Post by kathryn »

I like to use Floss boxes, I wind my floss onto bobbins and put the bobbins for my different projects in each box. Found the boxes cheap, my biggest complaint is keeping up with bobbins :D
ImageImageImageImage
mommy_tl

Post by mommy_tl »

Mine are all on plastic bobbins, labeled with their number. Then they are sorted by color family.
WIPs
HAED - Story Keeper
Chorus Line (chickadees)
2010 Christmas ornaments - 1 of 15
burgundyice

Post by burgundyice »

I find bobbinating a very relaxing pastime for when I'm not in the right mood to stitch (rare!), or too tired to concentrate, but although they're good for storing, I just can't get along with bobbins for a WIP, I make my own project cards, cut the floss into lengths and loop it through. It just feels so much quicker! and I can loop the remaining strands back in the same hole again. :D

Louise
HAED WIPS: Too many to list!
alinna

Post by alinna »

New floss for specific projects are bagged into ziploc bags marked for that project, new floss not designated for a project go in ziploc bags which are separated by number (each "100" gets their own bag), if I need new floss for a project then it is put on a bobbin and into a plastic box that is dedicated to that project, floss on bobbins from completed projects are stored in numerical order in plastic boxes.
Busy_B

Post by Busy_B »

Well, I don't have one set way right now. With my Kinkade project, since it's a kit, the threads are sorted on a card. For the Castles in the Air, I wound all of the threads onto bobbins and have them hanging on 2 rings. The stitch a week sampler just has a bag of threads since I choose colors for each pattern. The model stitch I'm working on has all of the threads wound on bobbins and in its own plastic storage box (how the designer sent it to me). In the past I've always just pulled the thread off the skeins if I'm using my own threads, but I do like working off of the bobbins, too.
WIPs: There Be Dragons, Feed My Sheep, Canyon Flight HAED, Lotus Flowers HAED, Christmas Cove
Angel

Post by Angel »

Dazbo666 wrote:Plastic bobbins, numbered and sorted into plastic project boxes.

For any project(s) in progress I normally have the relevant bobbins put on to a craft ring, or have some thread sorted onto a card organiser.
Ditto that for me.
Nachstenliebe

Post by Nachstenliebe »

Oh my! Do bobbins have the monopoly around here!! I really love the stitch bows. Over time the paper bobbins would wear down for me. The plastic ones were better but I kept my bobbins to close together and it was a pain finding the ones I needed and pulling them out. With the plastic insert pages I can see the numbers and finding colors is easy. It's also a snap to put the floss onto the bows.
Faith
Angel

Post by Angel »

I has a question about stitchbows.

You know when you cut a length of floss off and you only use say three strands from it...what do you do with the other three? Stitchbows don't look like they hold loose lengths.

I have a few stitchbows, but bobbins have always been more Angel friendly.
Cecilia

Post by Cecilia »

Me too. I'm a bobbin girl too. :)
Completed 2017: Anniversary Sampler by The Sweetheart Tree

Love comforteth like sunshine after rain. Shakespeare
Nachstenliebe

Post by Nachstenliebe »

I wrap it the opposite way of the regular thread. That way I can see there's some that's been pre cut.
It's easier to take a pic than describe it. Excuse the messyness! I am so messy with my floss when I'm working on a project
Faith
Angel

Post by Angel »

Actually that's perfect, messy or not, it answered my question beautifully!
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Oh that's a great pic. That's actually a big reason why I didn't ever try stitchbows, because I couldn't see how the oddments of thread would fit onto it. That looks fine though. :thinks:
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Angel

Post by Angel »

Pretty much the same here. Didn't get how it'd work, so I went instead for bobbins, now I'm so deeply invested in bobbins I doubt I'll be changing anytime soon, but it's a great picture for future reference.
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

I love the way you can keep them in plastic files as well. So handy for storing and easy reference. But like you Angel, I've got bobbins and storage boxes now so it probably wouldn't work out for me to change.
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Busy_B

Post by Busy_B »

Sometimes I'll put my extra floss through the little hole on the side and do a loop knot to hold them. I only have stitch bows with a travel pack so I don't use them very often.
WIPs: There Be Dragons, Feed My Sheep, Canyon Flight HAED, Lotus Flowers HAED, Christmas Cove
Angel

Post by Angel »

Although, having said that...I'm now thinking that it would be a good way to store extra skiens until I need them on a bobbin...
Nachstenliebe

Post by Nachstenliebe »

I have a stitch bow travel pack too! Which is what started my love for the stitch bows. I have the entire DMC color collection and am converting from the bobbins to the bows. Every time I go to AC Moore I grab all they have which is usally 2-4 packs. With 10 bows a pack it's been going slow. :doh: I also have them hung up on the wall in the plastic packs.. It's making my craft room look colorful :D
Faith
kimkat_tkl

Post by kimkat_tkl »

I :wub: the stitchbows as well. I also wrap the leftover thread around the end. All I'll say is that I have over 50 of the inserts and over 600 of the stitchbows.
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Useful to see the stitchbows in use, I never could work out what you did with odds and ends :-). But I have so many bobbins in bobbin boxes already that I'm unlikely to change now, also because not all speciality threads would go on stitchbows, whereas everything I use will go on bobbins no problem!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page