How do you organize your floss?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

bookknurd

Re: How do you organize your floss?

Post by bookknurd »

KarinvdB wrote:One word of warning, I've just discovered, I have a number of DMC plastic bobbins as well as some cardboard and other brand ones, the other day I found that I'd rubbed off the number of one of the DMC bobbins by handling it a number of times, it was written on with a colored sharpie but black permanent finewriters also don't take really great. The cardboard ones aren't likely to rub off, so I think I'm sticking to cardboard, also because I now put the symbols on for HAED charts so it's cheaper to replace the bobbin card with a new one when necessary.
I thought that the plastic bobbins might have some issues with the Sharpie ink. It didn't look super permanent. I might have to experiment with cardboard bobbins or another marking system eventually.
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
Rose

Post by Rose »

Vera if you cut the number off of the tag that is on the band that holds the skein. You can cut it small enough to fit on the end of the bobbin and tape it in place. It will say for a long time. :D
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Ainjel333

Post by Ainjel333 »

ohh my :shock: I will have to be careful handling them. I've not had a problem yet, but will be handling carefully just in case. Thanks for the tip...from now on I may cut out the number and tape it on that way.
jocellogirl

Post by jocellogirl »

I use the plastic floss bobbins and bought thesestickers. Not very expensive and they have all the DMC numbers plus extra of those you use more often (310, white, ecru etc.)
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason
Trio Godspeed Sistine Chapel

Around the World in 80 stitches, Herbularius
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Rose wrote:Vera if you cut the number off of the tag that is on the band that holds the skein. You can cut it small enough to fit on the end of the bobbin and tape it in place. It will say for a long time. :D
I definitely can vouch for this, and it only takes a little time to do it too!! :applesauce:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

Rose wrote:Vera if you cut the number off of the tag that is on the band that holds the skein. You can cut it small enough to fit on the end of the bobbin and tape it in place. It will say for a long time. :D
I'll have to try that sometime!
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
meldmac

Post by meldmac »

I have used the plastic boxes and bobbins for years and have about six of them filled. Think I may try putting some baggies into a binder from now on to save some space.

I have a big HAED going right now so I'm organizing all the floss into baggies by groups of the 100#s etc and attaching them to the rings. This will also allow me to put the chart in there as well.
"Some people only dream of angels, I held one in my arms."

WIPS - Red Owl, Super Mario Bros, and Dream Castle
UFO's - Invariance, Rainbow Mermaid
scoll1310

Post by scoll1310 »

I organize all floss I own in baggies in boxes but I would put them on a small ring and use that for a project. It's obviously too time consuming to keep opening the bags for each color so I switched to cardstock with holes and it is so much faster and easier. Also I am hoping to start parking threads which so far I am really terrible at.
stitchingmae

Post by stitchingmae »

Ugh Spent the last two days redoing my floss. I purchased a large drawer unit from Ikea, and had to add shelf diveders in so that it would hold my floss in but seperate. That was an undertaking, but in the end I love the results!! So I now have drawers full of floss!
Oriettait

Post by Oriettait »

maemae0410 wrote:Ugh Spent the last two days redoing my floss. I purchased a large drawer unit from Ikea, and had to add shelf diveders in so that it would hold my floss in but seperate. That was an undertaking, but in the end I love the results!! So I now have drawers full of floss!
Would you mind take a picture of it? I will be doing something similar when i come back from colorado with my huge stash i won on eBay and I would like to see how yours turned out. I would really appreciate it.
--
Leave nothing on the beach except footprints
:wip:
HAED World Travel Bookshelf
HAED Tree frog
HAED QS Ladybug
HAED Dragon Rip
Instagram @oriettait
stitchingmae

Post by stitchingmae »

I will, it may be a few days though.
here is a link to the drawer unit I purchased. I will say it is way bigger than I need for floss, but I will use it for other items as well.

[imghttp://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40196241/#]Drawer Unit[/img]
Oriettait

Post by Oriettait »

maemae0410 wrote:I will, it may be a few days though.
here is a link to the drawer unit I purchased. I will say it is way bigger than I need for floss, but I will use it for other items as well.

[imghttp://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40196241/#]Drawer Unit[/img]
That is the one! We have two of the slimmer ones that Dave use for his art stash as he is a painter.
I am considering the same one you used and this /www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40196241
Your picture will help me choose. Take your time i have lots :D
--
HAED Tree frog
HAED QS Ladybug
HAED Dragon Rip
Instagram @oriettait
stitchingmae

Post by stitchingmae »

Okay doing this from my phone lets see if it works. If not I can do it tomorrow at home :)

Here is the drawer with he floss inside

Here is a drawer with no floss two different angles.

What we did was go to Michael and get some of those strips of boss wood. we cut one piece the width of the drawer to stop the floss from going too far back once the drawer doesn't pull all the way back. the we put one down the middle so that I could have two rows. If you look close attached the he piece going across the width we added a small vertical piece to keep the floss from sliding underneath the holder.

We just used hot glue with the finish that is on the drawer the hot glue will just pull off if we decide to take them out!!
Oriettait

Post by Oriettait »

Thank you very much! that looks great and it is a wonderful idea!
--
HAED Tree frog
HAED QS Ladybug
HAED Dragon Rip
Instagram @oriettait
thegrindre

Post by thegrindre »

Boy oh boy, there are about as many ways to organize as there are numbers of floss.
I've just got to ask, after reading about 50% of this thread, what is going to be the easiest and simplest way to go about this for a guy.
Let me help a little.
I don't want any extra work involved and the bobbins seem to be extra work with unwinding the skein then rewinding around a bobbin of some sort. That's too much additional work for a clumsy male like me.
The 'bow ties' appear to be fairly down right straight forward but a little on the expensive side.
I'm liking the Floss-A-Way system. All I have to do is toss it in a bag, right? :lol:

After finishing my frog project, I now have a mess of floss and need to do something about it immediately.

It's gotta be simple, though. My brain can't handle anything complicated after living through the 60's. :lol: :lol: :lol:

What else is there on the simplicity side of this thing?

Many thanks in advance.
Last edited by thegrindre on Tue May 28, 2013 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Rick

At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap.

Stop by my web site for free charts,
My Cross Stitch Stuff
Also;
Rick's Recipes for Singles
SunnFyre

Post by SunnFyre »

I use the bags inserted with index cards and punch holes through the cards for hanging on the rings and store in small plastic bins. So far it's the only way I have liked.
thegrindre

Post by thegrindre »

I think you just might be right, SunnFyre.
I just got back from Hobby Lobby and bought 72 bags and a ring binder that holds the poly bag system, by Yarnolgy.
I also bought a magnetic pin holder and another pair of scissors. This pair has bigger holes in the handles for my bigger fingers. :wink:
I stopped by Wally World to pick up a cheap small plastic box to throw everything I have into it, for now.
I should be set to go for next time. :D
Mr. Rick

My Cross Stitch Stuff
Also;
curly sue

Post by curly sue »

If I weren't all set up with bobbins and boxes, I think I would do the bags. I use the bags anyway for a project. I put whatever flosses I'm going to need in the bags and slip in a scrap of paper with the number and color name if I'm working with a kit. Then I attach a ring to the bags. My project bag is a flat portfolio that zips, so that works fine for me. If I were going to switch to the bag system, I would definitely use a card in each bag.
thegrindre

Post by thegrindre »

Here's what I've done so far with my poly bag system.
It's very basic, simple and easy. Just what I was looking for.
Although, I may not continue with the ring book binder idea, I may just go with putting the bags in a cheap plastic box thing instead.

Thanks, all,
Mr. Rick

My Cross Stitch Stuff
Also;
jentlebreeze64

Post by jentlebreeze64 »

Hi everyone!

A lot of great ways to store floss on here. I found what works for me is the floss - away bags. I don't mind the ziploc, as it keeps it clean and away from dust. I store the bags in a small dresser (top drawer) that I put dividers in to hold the width of the bags.

The next drawer is my fabric stash and the bottom drawer (the largest drawer) are my charts and magazines. Which I want to organize by theme. (one day)

Jen