RING OR SCROLL BARS, WHICH DO YOU FIND BEST?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

razzamatazz

RING OR SCROLL BARS, WHICH DO YOU FIND BEST?

Post by razzamatazz »

Hello everyone, I prefer to use a ring when cross stitching but have difficulty getting the marks out after, any tips for getting them out, I'm always worried about the colours running.

Also does anyone on here use scroll bars and if so any useful tips?

Thanks

Razzamatazz aka Maggie :P
bagpuss

Post by bagpuss »

Hi Maggie and Welcome. :)

I too sometimes use a ring to stitch small projects. As for removing the marks when finished, as yet I have never had any colours run.

However, I do have a few tips that may help, now a lot of people may or may not know this but........if you get a clean white cotton hankerchief and wet it slightly (DO NOT SOAK IT SO THAT IT IS DRIPPING WET) turning your work face down, rub gently on the threads or aida (whichever it is you are trying to test) and if, any colour shows up on the hankerchief, then you will know that your aida or threads are NOT colourfast, so you will get a colour running situation!!! Yikes

Obviously if the hankerchief is still nice and white then you are safe to do as I do (and I have no doubt many others do this too) Fill a thoroughly clean bowl with luke warm water and add the tiniest amount of fairy liquid.

(one of the best stain removers I know, especially when used neat on clothing stains, just prior to doing a washload, sorry, not quite relevant to the question in hand but a great tip non the less) :)

Leave your cross stitch to soak for a few minutes before gently swishing it around the bowl a little. Stubborn marks can be rubbed gently with your cotton hankerchief. Once this is done, rinse your work thoroughly, again in lukewarm water and then lay out on a towel, preferably white, to air dry naturally. If your cross stitch has any creases left in, here is another great tip!

To prevent ironing the stitches in your beautiful work of art flat, find a lovely fluffy towel and as with the colourfast testing, turn your work face down into the towel and using a spray bottle, lightly spray your work with a light mist of clean preferably, filtered water and iron over on a medium temperature with a gentle motion. Do NOT press down hard with the iron. Then as before leave flat and allow to air dry naturally. Once you are sure your cross stitch is completely dry, to store, roll it gently over its self and leave in a clean dry airy space until you are ready to take it to the framers.

I hope this has helped you Maggie and maybe been informative to others too? :)

I prefer Scroll Bars but they can be a pain to handle if you are doing a large project unless you have them on a stand. My advise if you intend to continue stitching and go on to do larger and more challenging projects is to invest in a quality stand and chart holder, this way you can keep both hands completely free to work more quickly and efficiently.

Enough said for this evening, time for me to hit the project stand :lol:

Have a great evening everyone.

Bagpuss
aka Courtney
razzamatazz

RING OR SCROLL BARS

Post by razzamatazz »

Hi Courtney

thanks for your lovely long reply, some helpful tips, I'm quite new to crossstitch so appreciate any input.

thanks again
Maggie (razzamatazz) 8)
purple-footprints

Post by purple-footprints »

See, we all learn something new every day.... Some brilliant tips there that I never knew.

It may sound bizzar, but I have never used a frame or ring, I somehow hold the fabric in one hand and stitch single handed with the other - perhaps this is why it takes me so so long to complete a project. Perhaps now I have all these great tips, I will invest in a ring and see how I get on.

Thanks
Sue
bagpuss

Hoops

Post by bagpuss »

Hi Sue,

Hope your day has been a good one. I have a couple of spare hoops if you would like to try them?

I am happy to send them and you can see how you get on.

Oh and just to let you know, Unique Cross Stitch has your new kit on its way. So when you are ready, just let them know and they will send it on. They said to let you know they do not mind putting it aside until you have finished your other one first :)

Well, I had better go check out more posts. I will get back to you again soon. It is really good to have you on board and I am glad you are enjoying and learning from your experience with us. There is a lot more to come, so keep your eyes peeled.

Night for now.

Bagpuss :)
bagpuss

Evening

Post by bagpuss »

Evening Maggie,

I hope you have had a great day too. Nice to hear you are able to benefit from our tips and advice.

Have you found a kit for your daughter yet?

I have had a stressful day with a headache but, life goes on and I have to keep up the good work keeping all our respected members on board :)

Have a nice evening.

Bagpuss.
purple-footprints

Hi bagpuss

Yes please :) if you dont mind that would be great!! Id like to try using hoops.

And thanks I always ready for new kits, Ill let unique cross stitch know.

My days are general fine, Im actually a student as well. Im doing a degree with the Open University. This years courses have just started, so when the kids are at school, I hit the books. However I cant concentrate for hours on end with no break, so every hour or two, I wonder off and do washing up, or some other household chore, or pop online.

I have various other things Im involved with that get me out the house a few days a week, so on days like today when Im home I have to catch up on some study.

Well its that time of day to venture out into the cold and fetch the kids from school. In fact speaking off cold, i saw snow flakes today! Every now and again a tiny pathetic little speck of almost mircoscopis size drifted past!!! LOL

Have a great day everyone

Cya all later.

Sue
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Hi Sue

I work from home, too, and need time away from the computer screen! Tackling a uni course at home is really great, not to mention that you are setting your kids a really good example. What are you studying?

Hoops or stands. Well, I use both. Depends on what I'm stitching. Hoops are much easier for small projects I find, and I know I should bind them with tape, but I never have... If you do use one, remember to take it off the fabric when you've finished stitiching. Frames are also great, especially for keeping tension in the fabric. You might find an old-fashioned floor stand with rollers at a jumble sale? It really does speed up the stitching. It's worth spending a bit on a really good stand because they never, never seem to wear out. Some of the new types will take a frame or a hoop. All you provide is the chair (and the time, lights, materials... :wink: )
bagpuss

Evening

Post by bagpuss »

Evening, to you all,

Once again, it has been a busy day and I am pleased to see you are all interacting so well. It is worthwhile and I knew we would soon start making friends.

Being disabled I never really got to chat much as I spend most of my time indoors. So this is great for me :D

Sue, it is no trouble at all just drop me an email with your address and I will get the hoops in the post to you on Monday at the latest. I have two spare, one small and one medium. As serinde said, they are great for smaller projects but I do know someone that does all her work with hoops and she has obviously mastered the technique and speeds through her stitching in no time. I have the whole works, as for years it has been my greatest pastime. The bars.....Hmmmmm, well, I have three stacked up all with work on them, the other is on a hoop.

Ha ha..... Sue I also have a spare set of bars too. They are only small ones but I suppose, they will give you an idea of which you prefer, not only that you could have a smaller project on the go which would allow you to choose which you want to do if you fancy a change :)

Serinde...........

I have to put my hands up to not using any bindings or edging my works either. Whoops, and such experience too :lol:
It does not make a lot of difference, if any. I don't think so anyway :!: All my work has turned out just fine with no disasters whatsoever.

Well, it looks like we are all students of one type or another. I too have done an open university course. I completed it in 1996 and I remember trying to get my TMA's in on time........If I did get behind, I was fortunate enough to get away with it and I went on to obtain a BSc with Hons :P

Also, just thinking about doing a web master course.

Hmmm Where is Nicky tonight, maybe she is studying already. Yes ladies, Nicky has just started a marketing course too :lol:

Well, maybe aswell as our cross stitch chats, we may be able to help each other out from time to time with other Q's & A's

What are you studying Sue?

Ok Ladies, time for me to move on......

See you all in a while

Bagpuss
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Did I give the wrong impression? I'm not a student (or at least, not for a Very Long Time). I run an editorial business from home which means I feel glued to my computer. Started when boys were little as a way of being at home and, when they were in school, not to go nuts. Or, well, more nuts. :roll: If you guys have ever bought the Collins Gem Calorie Counter, well thanks! That's one of mine!
purple-footprints

Hi everyone.

Hope you are all having a good evening.

Im doing a science degree. It was going to a natural science degree with hons, but the OU kindly changed the profile of the degree last year, and some of my courses no longer count!! So I will have to be content with a BSc Hons unamed. But at least this way I get to choice from more courses.

This year Im doing 2nd level biological psychology: exploring the brian, and a 3rd level oceanography. Phew.... I must be mad - wish me luck!

Strangely my first year with the OU was 1996!!

Well back to cross stitch, I have never taped or sewn or done anything to any of my projects..... oh no, i lie - I have used anti frey glue on one a while ago, and i have to say I was very happy with it. When dry it was still flexible, so i was able to fold the canvas etc, and it didnt go sharp, if you know what i mean. Sometimes certain glues get brittle dont they; not this one.

well thanks to you all, I have made a big start to my latest project. this tatty ted pic for my daughter to give her boyfriend for valentines.

I wanted to share something. I got the chart as a free download the other day, and printed it out. It printed well which was a relieve, and is a good sized chart. It is quite small, but nonetheless, it has several colours all intermingled, and I found that i kept loosing my focus of exactly where i was, and was having to recount nearly everytime i looked at the chart to double check where i was.

I decided to try something Ive not done before, and thought it has worked very very well, and would be a good tip for anyone experienced or not so experienced. I got some colouring pencils and shaded the pattern so i could see at a glance where i was. It took about half an hour to do, but I know ive already saved that time, by the included stitched speed ive gained. I can still easily see the chart symbols through the coloured pencils. :D

I shall definetly use this idea again with other charts that are all just black and white.

Now for a more serious appeal for help, with this same kit.

I have just noticed that all around the edge and the ted, and the string of the balloon hes holding, is all in backstitch. Normally this wouldnt be a problem at all. However, alot of this doesnt go on the lines, or in straight lines. I hope im making sense..... you know how normally used stitch into the holes on the aida, well alot of this backstitch doesnt, and many 'lines' of backstitch are almost circles, ie no striaght edges.

Any suggestions about this to help me stitch??

If you like I could always give you the link to the chart so you can see for yourself, it is a free download, so I think Im ok re copyright on this one :wink:

Just to add insult to injury. Im half way through this piece of work and my daughter is on the phone, and stomps in and announces she thinks her boyfriend is going to dump her...... sigh. I said she needs to make sure they stay together until after valentines so my hard work doesnt go to waste!!! LOL

Anyway, its late, I shall bid you all good nite.
Sweet dreams all

Sue
harsha

Post by harsha »

I stitch in hand, or with my Qsnap if the size is right (as I have only a small qsnap ) :)
bagpuss

Tatty Teddy

Post by bagpuss »

Hi Sue,

I see now, that your weekend has been taken up with Tatty Teddy, I know the download you mean, we found it too and personally thought it was not very well instructed..........doing back stitch on curves, is not easy at the best of times and having no instructions can make it completely impossible for a beginner. Sad really when you think that it looks like a nice easy design even for a beginner and, from past experience, I know that this situation has actually put people off cross stitch immediately!

I will do my best to create a stitch tip page during this coming week. I will include as much information as possible from the most obvious basic cross stitch right through to the more advanced and difficult stitches. I will include illustrations too!

A couple of hospital appointments are looming but I will do my best to help!

Who know's, if I can show how simple it can be with better instructions we may be able to encourage more people to take up this wonderful, satisfying pastime. Especially those men out there that, say they are not interested.......... :wink: but we know they are really. I have known two men go from being completely against even the thought of the male denomination ever picking up a needle and thread to having them complete their very first kit. That's a fact 8)

So, any gents out there getting the itch, come on stop by and give it a go. We are here to help you every step of the way, aren't we ladies :?: :?: :?:

Ok, Sue, I have to dash for now but will be in touch again later when I have a little more time. Remember to drop me an email, with your address too, so that I can get these hoops in the post for you.

TTFN

Bagpuss
purple-footprints

Hi everyone,

Hope you all had a good weekend.

Yes bagpuss, I was spending alot of the weekend on taddy ted, and you are quite right, very limited indtructions in the download. They also put the chart in the snail mail for me, which has now arrived, and I have to say the chart is much clearer, and of course it helps to have a full colour picture of the finished design to reference. :roll:

Have been thinking about the complicated back stitching on ted, and am wondering if using a sharper needle would help to stitch inbetween the holes without spoiling/distorting the cross stitches themselves. What do you think? :?

Also I will be sure to take a photo of teddy ted when complete, in anticipation of our gallery...... :wink:

ermm.... now for my 'dumb' question. :oops: How do I email you??

Catch you all later.

Sue.
bagpuss

Emails

Post by bagpuss »

Hi Sue,

Look at the bottom of my post and click on the email link :roll: lol

Sorry have to dash. Will write more later this evening all being well.

Bagpuss
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Here's a question for you all: to vilene or not to vilene?

I have a assisi bellpull I would like to hang again. I ironed it, and then slip stitched it on to the fancy ends, but it doesn't hang very well. (Making up the project has never been my strong suit; I really like to stitch, not sew...) It's been suggested that I use vilene to stiffen it up and then back it with fabric before rehanging on the fancy bellpull ends.

What does anyone else do?
mvy_1

Post by mvy_1 »

Dishwashing liquid is great for washing your items in. Makes sure you rinse thoroughly and lay flat to dry.
Margaret

WIP
Anna Thies 1859 Sampler

Finished 2013
Spring Frost (Painting by Australian Artist Elioth Gruner)
bagpuss

Not to Vilene personally

Post by bagpuss »

Hi Margaret,

I have never heard of the dishwasher liquid idea.........so, it was my turn to learn something new for today. I might just try it one day.

:idea:

Serinde, one of my tricks is to add something weighty to the bottom hem on the inside of course. Usually a lead weight or three...... :) You can buy them from the haberdashery departments. The same type that you can buy to weigh curtains down. Some of them are like buttons too so depending on your design you can add them to the outside if you prefer. Again, as with all things, it comes down to personal choice :!:

I never use wood for bell pull ends, always brass which can also make a difference.

As for sewing on extra fabric.....far to much work for me :wink:
purple-footprints

Bagpuss,

I really am sorry to be so dense, but I dont see an email link.

I do see a profile link, have clicked on that, and although that page has the option of listing an email addy, there isnt one. The only other link is private message, and have sent you a message on that. Has it worked??

Have I got something set up wrong, or am i just being extra dumb then normal???

sue
mauveme

hoop or scroll frame

Post by mauveme »

I prefer to use a scroll frame with a stand for large piecesand a hoop for small ones. If I use th hoop I try to make sure the whole design fits in so I don't have to remove it every time I stop, that way I dont get marks to iron out' :) [/b]
Linda