RING OR SCROLL BARS, WHICH DO YOU FIND BEST?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

inuyashagirl

hoops and bars

Post by inuyashagirl »

as i replied to the other message i do not use either. i stitch as the loose cloth as i just have not been able to manage either.. ihave been stitching over twenty years now and have been doing this way since. Is there anyone else that does it this way?
CraftyLady

I stitch "in hand"

Post by CraftyLady »

-- that is I generally do not use a hoop or a scroll bar when I am doing regular cross stitch. If I have a project with lots of specialty stitches, or satin stitches, then I tend to use Q-snaps (previously I used hoops). The reason for this is that getting the proper tension on the stitches is much more difficult with specialty stitches, and I always seem to pull my satin stitches too tight (which causes the material to buckle and not lie flat once the project is finished).

When I am stitching on canvas, or congress cloth though, I always use bars -- either stretcher bars (pieces of wood that lock in the cornors) or scroll bars.

For those using hoops or Q-Snaps, try mounting your material with the "right" side inside the hole -- to across the top. This way, when you are handling the material your fingers will be on the back-side of the cloth -- the right side being protected "in the ditch" This is backwards to what most people usually do.

I would also reiterate that you should remove your material from the hoop or Q-snap when you are not stitching. This allows the material to relax into its normal weave, and also helps prevent the creases that occur.

Regarding finishing the edges of material -- I now serge all of my edges -- previously I'd zig-zag stitch the edges to prevent them from fraying. At one point (many moons ago) I was told to use masking tape around the edges of my material -- but now, with all that had become know about preserving our stitching for future generations, I've been told that the glue on the masking tape is very bad for the material -- and the acids will also seap beyond the edge in towards the design itself .... so for many years I have not used masking tape.

I find that binding the edges is especially useful on larger count materials where the edges seem to fray on me the most. If the edges of your material don't fray -- then there is no reason for doing this (at least that I know).

MaryPat. :)
lindagibb

Post by lindagibb »

Hi Maggie

I use the same method of washing my work as Courtney, but instead of waiting for it to dry naturally, once I have rinsed it I roll it up in towel and gently press to get out most of the water then place it damp on a clean white towel, front side down and iron it until it is dry. I used to let it dry before ironing, but I finding ironing it dry the there are no creases which I sometimes got when I ironed once it was dry.

When sewing I always use hoops which I take off when not sewing.

Linda :)
purple-footprints

Post by purple-footprints »

Hi

I love that little star you have!!!!

Previously I have never used hoops or bars or anything, I just hold my fabrics loose, but now I have a hoop and intend to attempt using it when Im doing a larger design.

Ive not heard of Q-Snaps, what is this? and what is serging??

I have been using some anti frey glue on the edges of my fabrics, Its worked a treat, no fraying and it hasnt gone brittle ot nasty. Im hoping this isnt one of those products that damages fabrics in time, as Id thought the whole point of it was to help preserve the fabric.
catkin

Post by catkin »

:D In all the stitching mags. and on the kit instructions, they always advise that you use a hoop or a frame so that stitch tension can be kept even so I've always used a hoop. I was amazed to read, on the Crossstitchers Guild website basic cross stitch section, that Jane Greenoff uses none of these. She thinks its a sin flattening your stitches with a hoop and if you must use one to make sure it's bigger than the design so it doesn't touch the stitching.
I thought professional stitchers would use something but obviously not in this case.
Joan
lindagibb

Post by lindagibb »

As I said I always use a hoop and do find it flattens my stitching, but find that once I have washed and ironed the stitching the stitching stands up again. I also take the hoop off when not stitching.
Becca

Post by Becca »

I don't use either. My cross stitch is a portable hobby, and i am often doing it on the train and always take it with me when i go to see my boyfriend. I haven't had any problems with not using a hoop or anything.
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I started out 20+ years ago using an embroidery hoop until it ruined my design. Up until recently, I just rolled the excess fabric and held it in my left hand. When I started the most recent design, I broke down and purchased a scroll stand since the design was so large. I love it.
welsh wendy

ring or scroll bars which is the best

Post by welsh wendy »

Hello all :wink:

I started using ring to do my cross stitching but then up in Birmingham I bought a plastic square frame and with it it had c shaped pieces which lock into the suqare frame, I find this a bit lighter to use and does not cause my wrist to hurt as much.

When using a ring especially a wooden one I would first wrap it in a spare piece of cotton cloth to avoid the ring marking the fabric.

I hope this helps somone. :lol:
StitchingAgain

Post by StitchingAgain »

None! I just scrunch it up in my hands and stitch away! Much better for me, as I get to do "double" stitches... meaning I don't have to push the needle through the back, and then into the front again, but do it all at once, as the fabric isn't taunt. The only time my needle is controlled from the back is when I start or finish a thread.
Becca

Post by Becca »

Does that really work doing it all from the front? I don't think i could do that.
StitchingAgain

Post by StitchingAgain »

It sure speeds up the process! I've stitched like this since I was a teenager, when I though myself to stitch as a school project. That's not to say that I've been an avid stitcher since then... lol! But now and then I get my stitching obsession back!
Becca

Post by Becca »

I guess i'll just stick to the slow way and be jealous when you have got so much more done than me!
Kas1

Post by Kas1 »

I have a hoop, a lap scroll frame and a floor scroll frame. I really love the big frame, but I can't fit it in the car! So very small pieces go in the hoop and everything on the floor frame. I do manage to tape up my edges, if only to stop it catching on my woolly jumpers!

Now to get on with reading the rest of the site! :D
starstruckandhooked

Re: RING OR SCROLL BARS, WHICH DO YOU FIND BEST?

Post by starstruckandhooked »

razzamatazz wrote:Hello everyone, I prefer to use a ring when cross stitching but have difficulty getting the marks out after, any tips for getting them out, I'm always worried about the colours running.

Also does anyone on here use scroll bars and if so any useful tips?

Thanks

Razzamatazz aka Maggie :P
I use Siesta Bar Frames - you buy them in pairs and you can slot different pairs together to make different size frames. You staple or drawing pin the fabric to the frame. It doesn't leave any marks (obviously) and is really easy to use.

http://www.siestaframes.com/acatalog/si ... ation.html
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

Best thing I ever bought was a Qsnap. Going to get some bigger ones and you can buy kits to make your exsisting one larger. They are just great. Don't mark the fabric, doesnt slip-ever. Easy to load and hold, Wouldnt go back to hoops or scrolls. And they fit into my stand frame. :D
Linda
Rose

Post by Rose »

So Linda then you highly recommend the Q-snaps? I have been wanting to buy some but just wasn't sure if they were worth it.

I see on their site they have one for doing quilting and I would like that for when I have to finish my quilts for mom and Amanda.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror