Washing pieces with beads and metallics

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Ekidna

Washing pieces with beads and metallics

Post by Ekidna »

Sorry, :oops: I feel like I'm flogging a bit of a dead horse here. I know you have soooo many threads dedicated to washing, but I couldn't find any that mentioned beads and metallic threads. :?

Does anyone know if they are inclined to bleed when washing. :?: I have never washed any of my projects before, but have bolstered my confidence by reading all your comments :wink: and will wash this piece as soon as I've finished it.

The only concern I have is that the entire middle section is unstitched, except for prose stitched in metallics, and surrounded by lit. hundreds of brightly coloured beads. Will these be a problem? :?:
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

hmm..i don't usually wash mine unless there is a stain..i'm always afraid of bleeding..

i'm of no help..sorry..hope someone can help you! i assume you wash like normal...
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

It's not immediately clear why there should be a problem. Make sure, however, that all the beads are fastened properly so that none come off -- before you wash! If the beads are glass, why should they bleed? (I get the feeling I'm missing something here...)

The real trick is remembering not to use a very hot iron with metallics, because they will melt, and then you wiil really have a mess.
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

i think she meant the metallic thread would bleed.
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
Ekidna

Post by Ekidna »

Some are glass beads, but some are the frosted ones that could be coated, so I wasn't sure if water/detergent might affect them. I am more concerned bout the metallic though, as coffee freak rightly guessed. :)

The piece is the first one one I started... 18 months ago, and is quite big, so I didn't want to take any chances that I regretted later!!
Rose

Post by Rose »

If you look at my gallery the angels all have many different colors of metallic thread. I have never found them to bleed in anyway. They are just as colorfast as the other threads.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Ekidna

Post by Ekidna »

Wow, your angels are beautiful, and so many! Thank-you for the advice, it's what I guessed, but I'm just a bit edgy, it being my first time!
lindagibb

Post by lindagibb »

Always wash my projects when finished and to date (touch wood) I have never had any problems.
lynne.walker01

Post by lynne.walker01 »

I found that the detergent meant for pots is much gentler and easier to rinse. Like Linda I have never had aproblem and most of my projects feature beads and/or metallics. :D
lindagibb

Post by lindagibb »

When washing a piece I tend to use some form of handwashing liquid, such as woolite or stergene.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I'm with lindagibb and always use a hand-washing solution. Persil's silk is also good.
Ekidna

Post by Ekidna »

Well, thank you everyone, I have some Persil silk hiding at the back of my cleaning cupboard so I will give that a try. I'm hoping to finish the piece today, just got a patch of beads and then thats it!

It's taken quite a while as I get easily distracted by other projects and have at least 2 on the go!

In an amazing display of self control, I'm not going to start my HAED mermaid until this ones finished!
Rose

Post by Rose »

Just an FYI for anyone who does not know (I did not know) Woolite has bleach in it. I was talking to another board about washing and it came up that Woolite has bleach they even say it on their website. I do know they have a woolite for dark clothes now so I think if I remember right that one does not have the added risk of bleaching a thread or material. I always use the liquid Tide but that is just me. I have in the past used Wolite and never had a problem but a couple of the members over there just had a fit when they heard that others use it all the time. I think (personally) if it works for you then do it.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Woolite with bleach. Yipes! Perhaps the formulation is different in the UK? (Like Oreos... :evil: )

I've just been given a spiffy design for our anniversary by my DH (all together now: ahhhh...) and it has hand-dyed threads (from Carrie's Creations; as I said, spiffy design). The suggestion with those is that you rinse them before you use them, and even then, they are not guaranteed to be colourfast.
lacemaker2004

Washing beads and metallics

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Hi, I'm new here but wanted to add what I do about washing beaded and metallic pieces. I have stitched a number of Mirabilias and while they are gorgeous, their size means that it takes me a while to finish so they do tend to get a bit "dirty". I always wash the pieces before beading since I was concered that the beads would hold water. It also made it easier for smoothing or ironing it. The other thing to be careful with is don't iron pieces with metalics since they aren't really metal but plastics and the iron can melt them.
Alyson