Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

affleck

Post by affleck »

some assistance please. I am new to this craft and as such am looking for help. I can manage a row of stitches very well, one way and back the other and slide the needle under the last few stitches to secure. my problem is single stitches, how do you secure a single stitch (i believe it is frowned upon to tie a knot). my other question is, when stitching a row of stitches is it preferable to have the back of the material done in x stitch or should a x stitch not be seen on the back. assistance very much appreciated.
Rose

Post by Rose »

Your second question is the easier of the two to answer. The back of your work is not necessary to be a cross. The back is the back for a reason it is not suppose to be as prefect as the front.

The other question is kind going to depend on if it a first stitch or if there are others in the area. What most people will do is chose to start with a color that has a large area to work. That way if you have to work a single stitch then there will be other stiches already there to use as an anchor. As far as knots being bad I use them even though it is encouraged not to do it. I feel better to know that the thread is secured. There have been discussions about to ty or not to ty and it is whatever makes you the most comfortable. Stitching is an art each person makes the choice and really there is no "right or wrong" just some feel that one way works better for them.

I hope I helped a little.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
affleck

Post by affleck »

thank you for your reply. the part i am doing is individual stitches if different colours so i was looking for a neat and tidy way to secure each stitch.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

At this early stage, don't get too hung up on the back: it should be neat, that's all. If it's full of knots and bumps, the front will be affected when you come to have the piece framed or finished, which isn't what you want, of course.

Stray stitches (aka confetti; what a descriptive word!) are a bother but really make a piece come alive. As Rose says, those are usually added later, when enough of the background is completed to give you anchor points for fastening on and off.

The only knot I use is a waste knot when starting a colour in an unstitched space.

Relax and enjoy your stitching. Anyway, what are you working on at the moment?
destructiveernie

Post by destructiveernie »

I'm afraid I'm regularly moaned at by my mother who is also a stitcher because the backs of my stitching are usually so tidy!!!!

I wouldn't mind but its pure luck and not the aim to keep the backs tidy!!!!

I try to avoid knots unless absolutely necessary.