even weave fabric

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

DTM1966

even weave fabric

Post by DTM1966 »

I would like to try a project on evenweave fabric. There are so many types. Is there a good guide on the web that explains what the difference is or does anyone have a suggestion for a good starter fabric. Probably about the equivalent of 14 squares per inch

Thanks
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

[color=redI tried my first evenweave couple of years ago, I did the map of Co. Durham (it's in my gallery). I loved it. It is a little more versatile than aida. You would need a 28 ct. for the 14ct equivalent. I think evenweave is best to startout with as some fabrics eg. linen can be a little uneven. That is what I was told. I love the effect and would use it more often but I find it can be a bit of a strain on the eyes. Give it a go, the effect is beautiful. And welcome to the group, I am sure someone can give you a link, they are all very helpful here.
[/color]
Linda
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Welcome to the forum. Almost anything you want to know can be found here along with a lot of friendly people.
I made the mistake of trying my first evenweave project on linen :? The weave was very uneven and the Gorilla never got finished and is languishing at the the bottom of my craft box :shock:
Both Willow fabrics and Sew&sew give pictures and descriptions of evenweave fabrics which should give you some idea of what you would like to use. 28 count Jubilee is 100% cotton and nice to work on and is available in a good range of colours. Hope that this is of some help.

www.willowfabrics.co.uk www.sewandsew.co.uk
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Welcome to the forum.

I've worked on both linen and cotton evenweave and enjoy them both. 28ct Quaker cloth is linen, but not particularly slubby, and is wonderfully versatile. Lugana is a cotton, but it is 25ct; also wonderful handle. Both come in various colours, and the lugana also can be bought with a lurex sheen: perfect for weddings, Christmas... it's fabulous for Hardanger because it pulls easily, useful for some of the open stitches.

BTW everyone, a fabric sale is on at http://www.stitchdirect.com/shopWebSite ... php?cat=94 They are a magazine which has some fabric, so the stock is limited. Still, worth a look. Also sell thread, ribbon, etc. P&P only 99p in the UK!

You might be able to try out a couple of fabrics if they're on sale. :?: