In the market for a Lowery stand

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Serinde

In the market for a Lowery stand

Post by Serinde »

I just started stitching "Sublime Stitches" (Elizabeth Almond freebie), which is large (even by my standards). I have it on a scroll frame, and my otherwise wonderful StitchMaster really can't manage the width and weight, especially since I'm using "helping hands". DH said I needed a new stand... who am I to argue?

So I've been looking at the Lowery, pricing it around the net. Who knew you could buy it from the manufacturers? Who knew it came in COLOURS! :shock: I'll also need a 'long frame adapter' accessory. Has anyone ever used one of these? Can they cope with Q-snaps? I can't quite figure if you can stitch the the left-hand side of one of these, or which size I should buy...

One piece of good news, though, for those of you who already own a Lowery: they are going to be making corner clamps again.
Mabel Figworthy

Re: In the market for a Lowery stand

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

My Lowery has coped with my Millennium frame (NOT a light-weight!) though it did need a small Meccano prop to make it completely stable, but if it's the width of the clamp you were worried about, if it takes the Millennium it will almost certainly take Q-snaps.

The colours are a bit, er, cheerful :-) so I think I'll stick with my dull silver-grey...
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Ruthi

Post by Ruthi »

I have a Lowery, bought secondhand on Ebay, but no worse for it. Husbeast made me a long arm to go over our rather wide sofa arms, and I have a long frame adaptor for my 24" Milennium frame. Its fine, I just use some fabric under the clamp to prevent the stitches being crushed too much. You need to move it along every so often or it will end up being behind where you want to stitch at some point.

If your Lowery base isn't going to go under a chair leg, you'll need a big lump of something to weigh it down.

You've always been able to get corner clamps by asking nicely and waiting patiently till they make another batch.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Thanks for that, Ruthi. I figured that the extender, having clips, should work with Q-snaps, but nice to have it confirmed. I had a bit of an email discussion with the office (very nice, and very quick replies) who were able to answer several other questions I had.
dawn0621

Post by dawn0621 »

I've had a lowery with a corner clamp for years and only used it with qsnaps. Don't have the side clamp so idk how it does with big scroll frames. I did add the chart holder, but for me it's just ok.
Dawn
:wip:
Italian Vista
HAEDs - Autumn, Come Together, Sunflower Bee, I Put a Spell on You
Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy
I Believe in Santa
Autumn Leaves Bookmark
Autumn from Etsy

Finished ~Hummingbirds

sleeplessstitcher916 on Instagram
Serinde