Linens

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

LuckyDice

Linens

Post by LuckyDice »

Hi All!
The next project I'm going to start is stitched over 2 on 32 count linen, I've only ever stitched on aida before and was wondering if anyone had any useful hints or tricks. I was reading on one website that you shouldn't use a hoop with linen :shock:, and was wondering if that was true. Anything you think would be useful to know is greatly appreciated!!
Thanks in advance,
KIM
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I love linen to stitch on, but it feels quite strange at first. 32ct is similar to 16 ct Aida if that helps.
I have used hoops with linen... the trick is not to leave it on when you're not stitching. Some people swear by never using a hoop or frame, but I'm not one of them. The right size frame really speeds up stitching in my experience.
All the usual rules apply (good light and so forth). I would always suggest crossing the stitches as you go to prevent the stitch from slipping and also it helps regulate stitch tension.
What is the project, anyway? The main thing is: have fun! :)
LuckyDice

Post by LuckyDice »

The project is Teresa Wentzler's Carousel Horses for all Seasons, and I'm planning on doing the Summer one, and if it doesn't go too horribly, possibly the other three.
It will be the most difficult project I've done so far, although it's the easiest of the four (I thought...it doesn't have beads, or strange looking stitches I've never done before). It does have blending filament and metallics which I've never used before, as well as my lack of experience on linen should make for an interesting project.
I was really quite excited when I found this book at the craft store close to my house, I've always loved carousel horses but have never found a pattern that is "real" enough I guess. I've always found the carousel horses to be too cartoonie. It was later that I discovered how lucky I really was, the book is out of print, although you can get the winter horse in a winter collection book.
There's a picture here if anyone is interested. (Click on the little picture to see a larger one)
http://www.twdesignworks.com/Designs/sum.html
KIM
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Teresa Wentzler's designs are lovely. The freebies on that site are good too, by the way.
I know what you mean about beads and embellishments. Yipes.
However, metalic threads are easy to use, especially if you tie the thread to the needle.When you thread the needle, instead of sticking the end through the eye, put a loop through it. Make the loop big enough to slip the point of the needle through and then adjust your thread so that you have one long tail and one short tail. The metallic thread is less likely to slip that way.
Also remember not to use quite as long a piece of thread and blending filament as you might normally do. Blending filaments are quite fragile.
You will have a wonderful time with that design. Shall look for it in the gallery... :D
Genevieve

Post by Genevieve »

Hi Kim,

Funnily enough I have just begun stitching on 32st linen and had only ever used aida before. I've found it all right, but have to use my magnifying glass. I know people say to stitch over 2 threads, but I found it easier to focus on 9 holes - it's the same thing. I could just 'see' the square more easily that way. I have also had to learn to slow down and make sure that each stitch is in the right place - constantly checking with those around to make sure. I've used my hoop, but, as I'm stitching coasters, this doesn't really matter, and the tension has meant that, again, I can see where I am more easily. The design you have chosen is lovely and I'm sure you will enjoy stitching it. Do put it on the gallery when you have finished. Good luck.
Rose :)