Re-using bobbins

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Purplegirl

Re-using bobbins

Post by Purplegirl »

This is a tip that I had printed in Cross Stitch Crazy:

My tip is quite a simple one, but I found it saved me money in the long-run!
I find it easiest to wind my thread onto bobbins, but found I was using them up quite quickly with all the different colours I bought and labeling them all.
I had the idea of taking the numbered sleeve off the skein and laying it over the bobbin before winding the thread around it. I just make sure the number is showing and it is very easy to find the correct thread in my organiser box.
I can then just re-use the bobbin once I've finished the thread without having the problem of no space for the number.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I'm afraid I'm a slack stitcher: I use a pen and put the thread colour number on the little tab at the top. :oops:
lindagibb

Post by lindagibb »

Over the years I have built up my collection of threads, mostly DMC. I used to use the paper bobbins and am gradually replacing them with plastic ones and for DMC use the gold concept pre printed number labels. My collection is stored in 5 large plastic bobbin storage boxes. When doing any project I just take out the colours I need and put them into a smaller bobbin storage box. Usually there is space enough left for me to put in my scissors and needle.
purple-footprints

Post by purple-footprints »

I have also previously used those bobbins, and store them in the storage boxes. I thought they worked great, especially if you only had shorter amounts of thread. However, my entire stock was lost, and I am gradually replacing things, and am trying out stitch bows. Ive found these work well especailly for new skiens which so far is all i have.
However they work for storing light effects, in fact as yet, I still havent found a way of storage them. At present I have them still in their wrappers (expect for the left over remnants after using them), and I have them in a plastic zipper packet for protection.
If anyone has any better suggestions Id be grateful
inuyashagirl

Post by inuyashagirl »

have you tried DMCs stitch bow stoarage system. i love it no more wrapping the floss around that bobbin. just take off the labels and put the bow in between and your done. if your not sure what i mean go to dmc.com and its there. your floss is stored in binders or a special box but oh the time saved on not having to wrap plus the floss never gets pleated like the ends do on the bobbin. i will never go back to bobbins dmc's stitch bows are for me and i used toe bobbins for 17 years and been using the bows for 3 and love them. Sorry for going on and on and on but you have to try them

debbie in canada
bagpuss

Ditto

Post by bagpuss »

Gold Conception Bows A definate thumbs up from me. I am just not too keen on the box's, however they can be hung too if you are innovative :D

I remember the days of winding ahhhhhhhhhh thankfully they are no more :P

Ladies, they are definately the way forward.

laters

Bagpuss xxx
inuyashagirl

Post by inuyashagirl »

hey bagpuss

i totally agree with you and the boxes are awfull thats why i use binders and the inserts and just have to flip and pages to get my colour i will never go back to the bobbins. my mother just can't seem to get the hang of them though and likes her bobbins so i gues to each his own as the saying goes

Are there any other ways of storing floss? any other ideas anyone can add? as i am looking for ideas on storage of all my extra skiens

well everyone have a good day
puschka

Post by puschka »

Hi
I'm a very busy stitcher and have always found winding thread onto bobbins a waste of time as it takes away from my stitching time. I use 5" x 3" plastic bags, the sort with a press together end and a white strip to write on. These are stored in a big drawer in my bureau in numerical order. When I start a new project I just pull out the bags I want, put them on a metal clip ring (still in numerical order) and work from the bag. When I've finished they go back in the drawer and I pull the next lot out. As long as you have a big drawer (you can always divide it with pieces of board) or a big box you always have them in order. If I notice that I'm running low on a colour I have a little notepad which I use to write the number down in, then when I'm buying more thread I know exactly what to get.
Hope this is useful to someone