DMC beads

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Serinde

DMC beads

Post by Serinde »

Help! Help! I can't find the DMC beads I need to do a project (admittedly it's been some time in the nightmare closet :shock: ). I have a horrible feeling that these colours aren't made anymore.
Does anyone know if there is a Mill Hill conversion for beads, or have any tips about substitutions?
Many thanks! :D
lindagibb

Post by lindagibb »

Hi Serinde

Have a look at this website for conversions
www.wonderfulstitches.com/mill_hill_bead_chart.htm

This site give the colours for Mill Hill beads.
www.aion-needlecrafts.co.uk/info/millhill.htm

I got a tip from someone a while back regarding DMC beads. The last lot of numbers in the bead code is the same as the code for the threads. So if you can't get the Mill Hill beads a last resort might be to use clear beads and stitch them to the fabric using the corresponding thread.
purple-footprints

Post by purple-footprints »

serinade, I hope you manage to find a way to convert the beads, I have seen charts with one or the other, and wondered about converting myself. I have only used mill hills seed beads up til now, the only reason being that the internet site I ordered them from, were cheaper and had a much better range of mill hill.

also, so far with the mill hill, I havent had a bead yet that I couldnt get the needle and thread through. Could be coincidence, but either way Im pleased with using the product.