Stitching a design in sepia

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Kuschelschaf

Stitching a design in sepia

Post by Kuschelschaf »

I'm not sure if you remember for not, but I started my Ferret in Sepia from Jann Designs a while back (https://janndesigns.co.uk/shop/wild-ani ... ret-fer-4/" target="_blank ... the one that I started in my sleep...). It's all done in browns and light browns, ecru, ivory and white. I picked it up again because I want to finish all my WIPs. After a day or two of stitching, I realized why it became a UFO afterall... I got bored with the colors (even though it looks really good!!) and since they're all within a shade of each other (and some of the colors are tweeded) I feel it takes more time than it should. I know I don't have any time restraints, I just want to know if anyone has suggestions on how to make it easier? I know if I put it down again, it will probably end up not being stitched. :tizzy: :tantrum: :neutral:
Visit my new blog HERE

2019 finishes:
Mr. Sparkle
The North Wind
Nessie

On permanent hiatus:
Ferret in Sepia
Roland

Re: Stitching a design in sepia

Post by Roland »

He is a cute little guy. :)

Do you have any other WIPs? When I have a picture that I get bored with I trade it off. Work on something more interesting for X days, then back to the one I’m bored with for Y days.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

You are allowed to change your mind, you know. :lol: It's a cute design, but you are forcing yourself to finish it even though it bores you to stitch it because you have resolved that you will finish all your UFOs. Life's way too short! Perhaps there are several options within the idea of "finishing UFOs"? Find this cute ferret a new home with someone who will enjoy finishing him -- that's certainly one option.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I love him!! But I know what you mean about the shades of brown, fawn and cream! I stitched a Dapple Grey horse for my daughter and it was all confetti stitches and 4 shades of grey and 2 of white.
The way I got through it was to have a colourful small project on the go at the same time. I did take discipline to do this but it looked fantastic when I completed it and my daughter was thrilled with it. It still hangs on her 'horse' wall.

Serinde's idea is a good one though and maybe someone here would finish it for you.
Kuschelschaf

Post by Kuschelschaf »

Serinde wrote:You are allowed to change your mind, you know. :lol: It's a cute design, but you are forcing yourself to finish it even though it bores you to stitch it because you have resolved that you will finish all your UFOs. Life's way too short! Perhaps there are several options within the idea of "finishing UFOs"? Find this cute ferret a new home with someone who will enjoy finishing him -- that's certainly one option.

That's a brilliant idea. I never thought of that! :shock: I do know why I got this pattern. I like pictures in sepia and it looked so much like the ferret I had back in 2012 before she passed of cancer. So even though it's cute, I didn't realize how much I would dislike working in sepia colors.
wendywombat wrote:The way I got through it was to have a colourful small project on the go at the same time. I did take discipline to do this but it looked fantastic when I completed it and my daughter was thrilled with it. It still hangs on her 'horse' wall.
I thought about starting a small design, too, but I know I will put down the ferret and it will probably never get done because I will always find "something else" to work on. :oops:
Visit my new blog HERE

2019 finishes:
Mr. Sparkle
The North Wind
Nessie

On permanent hiatus:
Ferret in Sepia
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Put up a picture of your progress and see if anyone loves it enough to finish it for you! :idea:
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

wendywombat wrote:Put up a picture of your progress and see if anyone loves it enough to finish it for you! :idea:
Great idea!!!

I do really love this design--I hope that you will be able to stick with it, but I could understand how it could be bothersome to do. I have done a few similar in the past and sometimes really enjoyed stitching them. I love this design---hmmmm may need to find one to stitch myself :P
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I know exactly how you feel. The thing I have learned I have to be very cautious about is if I am working on a project I find boring, for whatever reason, I will find something else to do and usually that will not be stitching because if I stitch something else I feel guilty. It's different than switching between several (or more) projects that I enjoy or maybe love doing. If you don't think the ideas of having another project to alternate this one with, perhaps seeing if someone else wants to stitch it is an option. It is an adorable piece.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Kuschelschaf

Post by Kuschelschaf »

I'm going to work on it for a while today. Maybe I will start page three with the face and eyes and see if I can muster through it. In the very likely chance that I get bored, here is what I have so far:
Who knows sometimes the eyes can persuade me.

If someone does want to finish it up for me, I would not be opposed. :lol: I have a painting my mother did of my dear collie before he passed and it would be nice to have my fur angels displayed together. :wub:
Visit my new blog HERE

2019 finishes:
Mr. Sparkle
The North Wind
Nessie

On permanent hiatus:
Ferret in Sepia
Lulu22

Post by Lulu22 »

What you've done so far is fantastic :applesauce: I think lots of us on here get bored with projects and then guilty for feeling that way, I know I do, but I remedy it by putting it away for a while or a long while :lol:
WIPS
Snow
Gamer Nouveau
Clara
Meadow
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

He is very cute, but on the other hand stitching is meant to be enjoyable. I have given up on several UFOs over the years because I realised that not only did I not enjoy stitching them, by making me feel guilty they took the pleasure out of other stitching!
If you like the picture so much because it reminds you of your ferret, perhaps you could find a print of the original artwork?
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Kuschelschaf

Post by Kuschelschaf »

stitching the eye didn't help... so I put it on hiatus until further notice. I don't know if I will work on it again... but right now, I have been working on "The North Wind" by Little House Needleworks and hopefully I will start my Diane Graebner pieces. :D
Visit my new blog HERE

2019 finishes:
Mr. Sparkle
The North Wind
Nessie

On permanent hiatus:
Ferret in Sepia
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Several years back, I stitched a piece for a friend on another website. In fact, there were a group of us who all took different designs from the "collection of things" series this particular person had always intended to stitch but was now no longer able to do so. You might remember, my "collection of things" was the eggcup piece. We all finished our bits, sent them back to the lady in question, and she was happy and we were happy to have helped.

I wonder if there's anyone around here who might volunteer to do that for you? Or, indeed, if a group of people might all work together to stitch it for you? :thinks: A round-robin ferret! :shock: 8) :D They'd get the pleasure of stitching it and you'd get your ferret! :whoop:
Kuschelschaf

Post by Kuschelschaf »

Serinde wrote:Several years back, I stitched a piece for a friend on another website. In fact, there were a group of us who all took different designs from the "collection of things" series this particular person had always intended to stitch but was now no longer able to do so. You might remember, my "collection of things" was the eggcup piece. We all finished our bits, sent them back to the lady in question, and she was happy and we were happy to have helped.

I wonder if there's anyone around here who might volunteer to do that for you? Or, indeed, if a group of people might all work together to stitch it for you? :thinks: A round-robin ferret! :shock: 8) :D They'd get the pleasure of stitching it and you'd get your ferret! :whoop:
I think that's a cool idea!! :whoop:
Visit my new blog HERE

2019 finishes:
Mr. Sparkle
The North Wind
Nessie

On permanent hiatus:
Ferret in Sepia
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

WendyWombat stitched another design in the "collections" series, as it happens. Anyway, it's an idea, if anyone(s) wants to run with it.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Yes I did! My project was Thimbles and Scissors. :D
Angel

Post by Angel »

I feel like that with my current WIP. Except mine is literally one colour! Four page design, one colour! It does get monotonous... The thing that helps me is that I don't even try to finish it to a timeline. I fully except it's taken me two years now to do half of it, when I could have done a design twice as big, twice as fast if it were more complicated. Monotony will just take forever! So only do it in small doses. I don't think I've spent more than an hour on mine in any single sitting and I regularly leave it for weeks between picking it up again. Work on what you love and when you're feeling good, pick it up and work on it until you don't feel good about it, then leave it for a bit.