Making a pattern using graph paper

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

lcamp

Making a pattern using graph paper

Post by lcamp »

Any hints for making my own pattern using graph paper? I'm not satisfied with anything I'm finding on the market for ' Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without'. I have graph paper for 14 ct. I would like for the finished size to be no larger than a regular sheet of paper, with a 2-3 inch border all around for framing. Is this possible? Has anyone else done this?

LindaC
Mabel Figworthy

Re: Making a pattern using graph paper

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

If your graph paper is 14ct, and you intend to stitch it on 14ct, then your stitching will be the size of your graph drawing, so you can make it any size you like! I usually sketched my idea on the graph paper in the size I wanted it, then worked out the stitches from those outlines, if that makes sense.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
lcamp

Post by lcamp »

Thank you, Mabel! That does make sense.

Happy Stitching,
LindaC
DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

I have also just sketched what I wanted to do directly onto graph paper. Another way that I've used is to copy the graph paper onto overhead projector sheets (clear plastic sheets that can be purchased at any office supply place) and put it over whatever image I want to do. When I am copying the graph paper, I use a very light setting so the grid lines look gray instead of black. That way backstitching and such doesn't get lost on the gridlines. Place the overlay on top of whatever image you want to stitch and then mark what you want to do. After you've got the pattern the way you want it, make a copy of the marked overlay to use as your working copy. Be careful that you don't smudge the pattern when you put it down on the copy machine glass. When it's all finished and you can wipe down the overlay to use again on another project. I've also heard of people doing the same kind of thing using onion skin paper or tracing paper instead of the clear sheets.

Good luck!