Floss storage in drawers???

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

brcox1

Floss storage in drawers???

Post by brcox1 »

I am currently using 4 or 5 gallon sized Ziploc baggies for my skeins of embroidery floss (they are just stuffed into the baggies). They are not in any order. It’s such a mess!!! I bought Sterilite storage drawers for my cross-stitch booklets, charts, etc. I have 3 drawers of the storage drawers empty. Any suggestion as to how to organize my floss in those, without using the Ziplocs?
DisneyStitcher

Re: Floss storage in drawers???

Post by DisneyStitcher »

I keep all of my floss in a hanging file box. If your drawers are deep enough, you could buy one of the metal frames they make to hang files from and use my method.

I took hanging file folders and cut the folder part off about 3" down from the top (leaving you with two hanging pieces.). I then used a hole punch and put 15 holes equidistant across the bottom 3rd. I put a loose leaf ring in each hole, and then hang all the thread on the rings. Each hole has a sticker on top of it with the DMC color number. It works well for me because I can hang a whole skein, a bobbin, or a thread baggie, or even just do a pull through loop on it for leftovers from a project. I put mine in DMC numerical order and used the file folder tabs to show me quickly where the 100s, 200s, etc are. I can fit all of the regular six stranded cotton DMC colors in one file box, but I do have a smaller hanging file box for metallics and other specialty threads.

I'm sorry I can't post a picture, I haven't found a replacement for photo bucket yet. If you want to PM me, I'll send you a picture through email.

Happy Stitching! I hope you find a method that works for you.
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

Floss storage in special storage boxes from DMC with plastic bobbins inside here. The easiest way to keep and to use the threads as far as I am concerned.My boxes are sorted by colours/shades of colours(e.g. Dark red, red, pink, dark brown and grey and black, terracotta and light brown and orange, yellow and white, green, blue, violet.

Plus a work box where the threads are for a WIP. After finishing the WIP, the threads go into their boxes of permanent living and another WIP's threads go into the work box.
Lyudmila
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I use the floss storage boxes and bobbins too. I sort by number. Any spare threads go into a small wooden 6 drawer unit, also by number.
I also use small 'project boxes' taking the bobbins from the main boxes.

I hate messy threads and those plastic bags would drive me to distraction!! :tizzy:

Each to their own I say! We all have a method that works for us, sometimes it takes several attempts to find what suits. :D
agent_clone

Post by agent_clone »

Personally for my storage needs I use the following:
Plastic bobbins like these that I use after I have started using the thread:
https://www.spotlightstores.com/sewing- ... BP80126693" target="_blank

I wind the thread onto bobbins with one of these:
https://threadedneedle.com.au/accessori ... in-winder/" target="_blank

I also have some drawers with compartments like these:
https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/off ... x14p200252" target="_blank

I also use storage boxes like these:
https://www.bunnings.com.au/tactix-12-c ... x_p2580706" target="_blank

Personally I would get some of the plastic bobbins then check out what stores near you have something that work for you to store them in. The storage boxes in particular should be easily findable at your local hardware store but the size of the compartments isn't alwasy quite right so you want to take a bobbin along for measurement purposes.

I usually have the threads of the project I'm currently working on in the storage boxes, with threads that I haven't started in the drawers (Note with the drawers that there are comparments in them that divide it in to rows so that they are a bit wider than a bobbin). I was putting the excess threads that I haven't used when I've finished projects into drawers but I have recently decided to change this to the boxes. To some extent you will need to work out what works best for you. When I start a project I also use the drawers and sort them so they fit within the drawer container thing with generally a comparment dividing by number. For example one comparment for threads in the 6XX range, and another for those in the 7XX. Sometimes there are minimal in one number division so I might combine them together.
Curent WIP:
The Butterfly Ball
Mini Heaven On Earth
Mini Japan Garden

Finishes:
Kitten Fairy on Mushroom (2015-12-31)