Faded section in big project

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

kbrockwood

Faded section in big project

Post by kbrockwood »

Hey y'all -

New to the forum - my first post!! How exciting! Been cross stitching for many, many years, though I'm pretty much an ADHD-crafter in that I've got about 20 projects in different mediums etc at one time. Anyway, I'm working on the biggest project I've ever done and it's taken me several years - it's a William Morris artichoke pattern I got off Amazon and the pattern came in four quadrants. After about four years (ahem!) I'm finally at the last section, but I've noticed there is a marked difference in color between where I very first started and where I am now. I'm using a scroll and been religious about washing my hands, so not sure if the difference is because of fading or grime or both. I read the thread on washing your project, but not sure if that will be enough? I'm thinking of taking out some sections of the first part and redoing, in kind of a feathering way (like you would with painting a wall and you cut in the color).

Suggestions?? Thanks in advance!!
lavenderbees

Re: Faded section in big project

Post by lavenderbees »

Welcome to the forum & I'm sorry I can't help you but there will be others who can. Look forward to seeing your work sometime :)
Lavender

stitching is beewitching
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have a lot of variety in your crafts :-)

As for the undesirable variety in colour, I'm not sure what to suggest. If it's fading (which it shouldn't be if you are using a respectable reliable brand) I doubt there will be much you can do about it :-( . Are your threads hand-dyeds, but any chance? Then it could be either fading (although many hand-dyeds are now quite colourfast) or more likely a differenc ein dyelots. Again, not a lot you can do about that except unpick the whole thing and restitch using one dyelot!

If it is just the accumulated dust (not necessarily dirt, but just the dust that's always in the air) of four years washing it may well solve the problem, but do check any washing instructions on your threads/fabric and if at all unsure try a small corner (or even better a small piece stitched with the same materials on a spare bit of fabric) to see if there is any running of colours etc.

Hope that helps!
Last edited by Mabel Figworthy on Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:wave: Hello and welcome to the forum from South Carolina! I can't offer any other ideas than the ones Mabel suggested. I have several projects that are more than 4 years old and haven't had the problem you describe. I have had times when the dye lot of a thread has made a difference and if it is significant I have had to redo a section, but it sounds like you are talking about more than one color being effected. I'm sure that if others have run into this problem, they will let you know if and how it was solved.

Carole
:)
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

Secure a piece of panty-hose over the open end of your vacuum cleaner hose and try to vacuum the stitching first. That should give you an indication if it's a build up of dust - if you see a difference in color, then I'd try to wash it to see what happens. If it is actually fading, I think I'd take it to my thread store and try to match the color it faded to. If you're using hand dyed threads, try "washing" the new thread (that is supposed to be the same color) and see if it fades to any appreciable degree - or leave the darker thread out in the sun for a bit and see what you get. As you can see, I go to great lengths to avoid pickin' out stitchin'. Good luck, let us know if you find a workable solution.
poppy

Post by poppy »

Hello and welcome kbrockwood! :D
I could not think what to do about your problem but the others have had very good suggestions.
DisneyStitcher wrote:or leave the darker thread out in the sun for a bit and see what you get. As you can see, I go to great lengths to avoid pickin' out stitchin'.
That made me laugh! :lol:
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

:wave: Hi and Welcome from me too it's great to have. you with us.

I would wash it gently is luke warm water and spread it out to dry and see if that makes a difference. It is surprising the amount of dust which accumulates on the surface of our work.
I saw a huge difference after I had washed my Angel of the Morning one which had been on the go for 2 years. The colours came up all bright and perky again. So do give it a go.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
kbrockwood

Post by kbrockwood »

Thanks guys!

I'm using DMC and it is a very clear line, so I'm pretty sure it isn't the dye lot - it cuts across all colors. I love the cleverness of the vacuum/pantyhose suggestion. Looking at it more closely, I do think it is likely dust - we have an old 1925 house (old by American standards) with 3 animals so that is likely. I'll keep stitching along and see if the washing helps. Will post a picture when done. We have a few 100+ degree days coming here so sitting in front of a fan in the AC and stitching sounds nice. If it weren't for that pesky actual job. ;)
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Real life does get in the way. Especially in the summer. And at Christmas time. Oh, and the spring, but particularly the autumn... 8)
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

Serinde wrote: Especially in the summer. And at Christmas time. Oh, and the spring, but particularly the autumn... 8)
So true! :lol:
Sew many patterns, sew little time!

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest