Best shops to search for Thread

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Pete&Dawn28

Best shops to search for Thread

Post by Pete&Dawn28 »

Hi all i am trying to build up a small Thread collection so i can plan to do a few projects. Where would suggest i look as so far i have found a few websites that sell DMC and Anchor for 80p a thread and another site were selling them for 70P, is it cheaper to buy them individually or as a pack bundle which i have seen a few on ebay for about £20.00 for 107 colours.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be most help full :) thank you

Best regards
Pete
rcperryls

Re: Best shops to search for Thread

Post by rcperryls »

That's a tough one, but slowly building up your stash is a good idea. I think you will be surprised and how quickly threads grow. I seem to have skeins of threads I hardly use and never enough of the one I need :cry: . Sounds like you are across the big pond from me, so I'll let some of our UK members suggest the best places to buy threads from. I personally would go slow rather than buy in pre-made bundles of skeins since it is pretty easy to end up in a situation like I described above. And I managed to do that buying individual skeins for individual projects over the years. Plus, your taste in designs may change and the type of threads you like to stitch with can change too. I'm sure you'll be getting a lot of good advice soon.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I use Sew&so https://www.sewandso.co.uk/" target="_blank
The threads are good quality and yes they are a bit pricier, but you get what you pay for
Cross stitch 4 you is also a good company http://www.xstitch4u.com/" target="_blank they are a bit slow to deliver and you never know when they've been sent!
Stitcher is also good http://www.stitcher.co.uk/threads/dmc-s ... tton.cshtm" target="_blank I've used this company too and they are always a good price.

If you buy from Ebay watch that the threads don't come from India or China as they tend to be lower quality. I fell foul of it one time and the threads were harsh and slightly off colour! :doh: The way to tell is to look at the skein bands. They are white whereas the anchor or DMC are both black. Look at the skeins on Sew&sew and you will see what I mean. Also look at the location of the threads. Some are Hong Kong, some labelled Coates Pakistan. DMC should say that they are made in EU.

Hope this helps. I have a full set of Anchor and there are colours I've never used! I think to start with it's best to buy as you need.
fiddler

Post by fiddler »

The cheapest I have found is Cross stitch Heaven. No matter how many you have there is always you need more!!
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

fiddler wrote:The cheapest I have found is Cross stitch Heaven. No matter how many you have there is always you need more!!

I used to use them...but they've closed down!! :shock:
Purple Patsy

Post by Purple Patsy »

I've not used them yet so can't vouch for service but http://www.shop.katzxstitch.co.uk" target="_blank has DMC for 63p a skein
WIPs
The Astronomer (HaED)
Gamer Nouveau (Gecko Rouge)
Woodland Enchantress (Dimensions)
Sagi No Mai (Maia)

Finishes on forum
Starry Night with TARDIS 12 Aug 2016 -27 June 2017
Royal Holiday
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

wendywombat wrote:
fiddler wrote:The cheapest I have found is Cross stitch Heaven. No matter how many you have there is always you need more!!

I used to use them...but they've closed down!! :shock:
So they have. Oh what a shame.
I checked them last month and they appeared to have new thread in stock. All their thread was grey import, so I wonder if the fall in the pound did their business in.

Regards

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Smurf85

Post by Smurf85 »

I use lakesideneedlecraft.co.uk as Dmc skeins are 59p each. They used to do free 2nd class postage but now it's 99p for first class. Always had very speedy delivery with no issues xx
:wip:

HAED
Legend of wolf mountain
Planet dragons supersize
kingfisher68(2)

Post by kingfisher68(2) »

Glad you asked this question as I was going to ask if anyone knew if Cross stitch Heaven had closed down . Have used KatsXstich in the past but will try the lakeside one when I next need some threads. :)
Izzi

If you believe you can you wil

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Smurf85 wrote:I use lakesideneedlecraft.co.uk as Dmc skeins are 59p each. They used to do free 2nd class postage but now it's 99p for first class. Always had very speedy delivery with no issues xx
Thanks for that link! Their postage rates to France seem quite competitive too. :dance:
CarrieGF

Post by CarrieGF »

i will recommend Lakeside, they keep a large stock on hand so if you need multiples there is no issue. usually despatches same day too
Smile & the whole world smiles with you
Cry & you cry alone
CarrieGF

Post by CarrieGF »

i will recommend Lakeside, they keep a large stock on hand so if you need multiples there is no issue. usually despatches same day too
Smile & the whole world smiles with you
Cry & you cry alone
cristaltipps

Post by cristaltipps »

I have been using http://www.leisurecraft-tewkesbury.com/dmc-threads" target="_blank she is one retired person and the threads can take several weeks to come but do come already wound onto large bobbins and are 50 for 8 metres, 20 threads or £10.00 is the minimum order and postage is incremental £2.00 for up to £20.00 worth of threads and so on but it is all on the web site
She does do the whole set of 447 colours for £180 pounds plus postage if you want to splurge.