Hoops, scroll, & snap frames, oh my!

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

meganap25

Hoops, scroll, & snap frames, oh my!

Post by meganap25 »

I am fairly new to cross stitching. My only projects up to this point were some small Christmas ornaments that I just stitched in-hand and a small project that comfortably fit in a 6" hoop. I am about to start two projects that are going to be larger. One is circular and the finished size will fit in a 15" square. The other project is rectangular, about 14"x10". What is your preferred method of holding the fabric in projects this size? Any tips for using your favorite?
My mom always used a hoop, so I only recently discovered that there are other options. I've read that hoops sometimes have issues with stretching stitches and causing ridges. The circular project will be a gift, so I am particularly interested in making that one look as good as possible. Thanks for your help!
Midge

Re: Hoops, scroll, & snap frames, oh my!

Post by Midge »

Hi Meg. I find that if I stich in my hand my project is easy to take with me. If it is a large project, I use Q snap frames in my Lowry stand. I don't really think it matters what you do but which ever you start with you should carry on with as the tension will be affected.
I'm sure some of the others will be along soon to give you their opinions. Good luck!
2022 is yet another year of the UFO!!
Great Wall of China,
Peacocks and Pheasants,
Birds of a feather,
Hardanger Table runner,
TW Peacock Tapestry,
Milennium Sampler,
Yes, they are all STILL in progress!
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

When I went from 'in hand' stitching to a hoop I was advised to slacken the tension at the end of a stitching session. Can't say that I always do that though :roll: but once the piece is finished and washed I can't see any hoop marks or slack fabric.
meganap25

Post by meganap25 »

I'm also curious about the types of hoop or frame holders that you sit on. I usually stitch sitting on the couch and think having the sit-on stand will help keep the fabric cleaner (from holding it with my left hand) and also allow me to stitch using both hands. I've never done that before but I think I may be the world's slowest stitcher, so anything to help improve my time would be awesome.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Get One!!
I have one and it's Fantastic! Mine was given to me by a very kind member of this Forum. :dance:
It's a DMC version with an 8 and 1/2 inch hoop. You can also get the Elbesee version which has 3 sizes of hoop. I bought one of the hoops and it fits my DMC sit on stand.
https://www.sewandso.co.uk/category/acc ... e?TRE00019" target="_blank

It's easy to take apart too. I collapse mine and take it out to my Friday craft morning and away on holidays :D
kingfisher68

Post by kingfisher68 »

Hello, I mostly use scroll frames for large items & circular ones for small projects. I have the scroll frame where you stitch on to the tapes the fabric you are going to use & also have 2 Elbesee ones. Only recently used the large Elbesee clip on but it is good & I am using it at the moment.

I often buy items on EBay but also look in charity shops too & occasionally find something useful but not always at the time when I need something specific so I look around the Internet to find what I want at the lowest price.

Have also got a Siesta Stitch Master seat frame which is easily assembled & taken apart when you want to take it with you on holidays etc. I take it with me when DH & I go away & it only takes up a small amount of room in your luggage. This frame you can rest a round hoop on or a scroll frame. It is adjustable too in width as well as in height.

http://www.siestateframes.com" target="_blank

Item No. SMSS D52015

This may not be what you want but as others have mentioned accessories they use you will have a lot to choose from. Good luck & I look forward to seeing what you make later on. :)
Izzi

Believe you can & you will

WIP
DMC Pleasant Row Cottages
Helcat

Post by Helcat »

For the one I am doing at the moment I have a floor frame - and I find it frustrating when having to hold the frame in my hand.

That being said it is a bit of a beast, so I am looking to get a smaller floor stand that holds different frames and hoops. Although I like the look of the lap frames my cat likes to sit on my knee (underneath the frame) so I don't think he would like that.

Need to finish my Enchanted Kingdom first though ...
isaacson72

Post by isaacson72 »

I like hoops. I've got one that I hold with my left hand. I have a q-snap but it seems so thick after using a hoop for so many years, I'm not sure I like it that much. I like the idea of that hoop on a sit-on-stand, though. I might have to look into that. I saw something similar at a needlepoint/quilting expo I went to last month and really liked it.
Michelle
:ratherbe:

WIP: HAED Candlestick Man (ornament)
WIP: various, never-ending, mason jar lids
Helcat

Post by Helcat »

The stand arrived this week and I am impressed with it so far.

I have currently used the clamp to hold quite a small hoop which means that I can stitch two handed which is what I got used to doing with the floor frame. I used to find I got hand cramp after a while holding the hoop so it has taken that away as well.

It also doesn't take up nearly as much space as the floor stand I had which is also good.

It'll be interesting to see how it copes with larger frames.
tigerxeyez

Post by tigerxeyez »

Hi All,

I'm new to cross stitching and have only done hand stitched small projects as well. I just purchased a pattern that the finished size would be is 17.29in x7.21 in. I am overwhelmed with the options of Qsnaps, but want to try them out. Would you please recommend what size to purchase for this project?

Thank you!!!

Stefanie
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

You are going to need fabric that has a minimum size of about 23" x 13".
If you make the fabric 23" x 15", then you can use a 24" x 12" clip on scroll frame (say from Elbesee if you're in the UK) like this https://www.sewandso.co.uk/product/24-x ... ame/975864 and still easily clip the fabric in. I use two of these for the two projects I have on the go at the moment. Gives plenty of room to work. A 24" x 9" frame would give less room to work in and may feel a little cramped.

I cannot comment on Q Snaps as I have never used them.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
tigerxeyez

Post by tigerxeyez »

Hi Richard,

Is that size fabric necessary? I only have a 12.5" x 18" size... :-/

I'm new to this, thank you for your help!

Stefanie
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

The size Richard suggests gives you three inches on all sides of the fabric which is what is usually recommended so that you have plenty fabric for the snap frames or hoop if you choose to go that way. Q-snaps come in a variety of sizes and they can be mixed and matched so that you can create what works best for you. When I use Q snaps I tend to prefer the 8x8 if I'm not using a stand. Lately I've been using a 10 inch Morgan hoop. Depending on where you live, a good place to search for options is 123Stitch if you are in the US or Sew and So if you are in the UK or Europe. It can be overwhelming so take your time deciding. If you are in the US going to one of the larger craft stores like Hobby Lobby or Michaels will give some idea of what is available though the selection in the stores is often pretty limited.

Looking forward to seeing your progress on your larger project.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

I think you might find stitching so close to the edge of the fabric is not easy when doing it in a hoop or frame. However, I am far from as experienced as Carole. Having a good 2.5-3" border around the image gives a bit of leeway for starting in the wrong place (guess how I know!) and a bit of fabric for the frame/q-snap/hoop to grip on to away from the picture area.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Sahari

Post by Sahari »

Am in the market myself for a frame of some sort... current project is 12x12 but the cloth is 15.5 sq.
Don't they make these things adjustable to many sizes? I'd like to just get one and use it for everything, if possible! Thanks in advance. ~S :tizzy:
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

Reading all this thread, I cant help thinking how lucky I am that I dont waste time, money, nerves on all that equipment! Stitching in hands (and I do sometimes 2.5 or evem 3.4 metre long tablecloths), I never have a problem with the tension of the fabric, keeping it clean, transportation if necessary, and never have aching shoulders after hours of stitching. I was curious about how people cope with enormous hoops and frames, so watched some videos and now I understand why so many of them complain that their shoulders ache. So many unneeded movements.

I am sure most people would be stitching in hands if it were not not for all that advertizing by the sellers of frames and other stuff.

I cant imagine a pleasure from stitching if you are sitting in front of that "construction" for hours with your arms stretched out. Take the fabric into your hands, tuck yourself comfortably on the sofa, the chart on your left, the threads in the work storage box- on your right,the scissors next to the box, the dog sleeping next to you. Stitcher's heaven.

But then all this is very private- like in which hand to hold a spoon.
Lyudmila
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I always used to stitch 'in hand'.
When I was nursing my hands would get very rough skin from constantly washing my hands. Hand cream made little difference and I found it soiled the fabric so I didn't use it. Then I found that the threads when handled by my rough fingers lost their lustre. When I was given a 'sit-on' hoop stand life changed! :dance:

I could also stitch two handed i.e. one hand above and dominant hand below. Much quicker and less 'fuzzy' threads. :D

I see your point about aching shoulders. Also I'd tried holding a hoop and it made my thumb joint ache! :doh:
I think it's all about trial and error. Find what suits and enjoy the craft!

Your description of sitting and sewing, dog at your side sounds blissful...all I need now is a Dog! :lol:
Sahari

Post by Sahari »

Well I jumped in a bought a little $13 scroll frame and I'm thrilled with it. I sit in a recliner, reclined, knees up to hold the frame and stitch w/ both hands... I would say I am going so much faster EXCEPT for the fact that I stumbled upon railroad stitch theory and straightening the strands w/ water before using and now I'm in obsession land so whatever speed I picked up from the frame I'm sure washes out w/ the quest for perfect stitches. :thinks:

~Sahari
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

:lol: Win some, you lose some, eh?? :lol:

I try to remember to 'railroad' and I always do so on single confetti stitches. I like to have my top / stitch even.

Enjoy your new frame! With practice 'railroading' does get quicker. :wink: