How do you change the avatar?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Imme

How do you change the avatar?

Post by Imme »

I have been trying to change my avatar. I have a picture that I have down to less then 80x80 pixels. However, the file size is till more then 9KB. I have it down to about 32KB. How do you change it from here? Is anyone able to help me with this?
rcperryls

Re: How do you change the avatar?

Post by rcperryls »

It has been a long time since I loaded my avatar. I think, and anyone who knows better or knows if I'm wrong about this jump right in, I think you have to make the changes on your computer before you upload it. Are you saving it as a .jpg file? I'm pretty sure that is what I used. I thought if the picture was 80 x 80 pixels it would be small enough. You could try making it a little smaller. The only thread I could find that has any discussion about changing the picture is this one but the instructions regarding photobucket are too old, but it does have an editing program. I'm not sure if changing a picture to a .tif file or a .gif file decreases its size or not.

Carole
:tizzy:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

80x80 is the image size in pixels. 32kb is the file size. You need to reduce the file size without changing the image size. Are you working in a graphics program? if you export the image as a jpg and bump up the compression until it meets the 9kb file size limit, that'll work.

Failing that, you can email me the image and I'll compress it for you. I'll send you a PM.

WIP
spudger

Post by spudger »

Good Afternoon Allyn

I am new to the forum and have found I am unable to upload a photo for an avatar. I was directed to your thread here. I know that it is a few years since you posted this but wondered if I pm you would you please take a look and change the photo to avatar size? I understand if this is something you do not want to do and I will stick with the forum ones.

Spudger