Lighting Help

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Jennifer78

Lighting Help

Post by Jennifer78 »

Does anyone use a clip on light? I work with q-snaps and there are so many online to pick from but I am having a hard time to tell if they would clip well to the snap and how bright they are. Any links to what does work would help. I have even seen some that dim that caught my eye but some are quite the little investment to come up short and it not work well with the frame. Thanks in advance.
Mabel Figworthy

Re: Lighting Help

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I have a teeny-weeny one but find it very uncomfortable clipped to a hand-held frame. It's OK if I'm using a stand and can clip it to that.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I don't use Q-snaps, sorry. I have a couple of small clip-on light/magnifiers, but their clips are too small to attach to a thick frame such as a Q-snap. Maybe an angle poise lamp on your side table which would stretch over to illuminate your work area. They can be used with daylight bulbs and aren't too pricey. I used to use one of those, but now I have a floor standing LED plus magnifier. It's an age thing!! :lol:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

It depends on what it is you are needing the extra light for. I have a table lamp that I use to brighten the chart pages, though I have been using my iPad rather the paper charts and liking it a lot more than I thought I would. I do have a Daylite magnilite which has a light and magnifier for my stitching. Can be either a table or floor model. I use it as a floor model and now have a hard time stitching without it. On trips I have a magnilite which goes around my neck. Don't love it, but it works for a short time.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Jennifer78

Post by Jennifer78 »

Carole, I had two main reasons for wanting it. I am prepping for a new start at the beginning of the year and it will be my first time stitching on either 25 or 28 count. Going to do the Prairie Schooler alphabet all together on one piece of fabric. Pretty good sized piece and for the size I want I need smaller count or else the thing will be 4 feet wide on my wall when its done lol. I have used 32 count before on a small ornament and from doing that a little extra light would have helped me alot to see better. I also like to stitch when we travel and take my work and the lighting always seems to be very lacking.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Good lighting is essential, of course. I haven't yet found a clip light to do the job adequately, and the project you have in mind is worth the investment in a good light. If you think you might carry one stitching, a daylight bulb is an excellent suggestion. Old eyes like mine benefit from a combined magnifier and light. Probably couldn't stitch without it. Worth saving up for, and there are a few threads here where this whole light issue is discussed. Good luck, and let us know what you decide!
fccs

Post by fccs »

I use one similar to this https://www.amazon.com/Daylight-UN1161- ... 253&sr=1-3" target="_blank" target="_blank on my Qsnaps. The clamp on this one is a bit different from the one I use. To keep it from sliding, I put a piece of that rubbery shelf liner between the clamp and the Qsnap itself.

If I need a portable light when stitching in a hoop, I use this http://www.joann.com/ottlite-6x-and-3x- ... ng&start=1" target="_blank" target="_blank and while it's not the best, it does work (once I got used to it).
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

:idea: Just had a thought! When we have power cuts I use a head torch! Not pretty but the new lightweight LED head torches are brilliant. I have to use a magnifier and I always take my head torch away with us when we go to the UK to see family (daughter likes 'mood lighting' :doh:useless for stitching! )
Maybe that will help you!
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

I always use a 3 LED head torch. It always points where I'm looking and the batteries last about a month. I use one similar to this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262213462117
Cannot recommend the idea too highly. Not a good fashion statement though...

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

richardandtracy wrote:I always use a 3 LED head torch. It always points where I'm looking and the batteries last about a month. I use one similar to this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262213462117
Cannot recommend the idea too highly. Not a good fashion statement though...

Regards,

Richard

Who cares about fashion! :lol:
richardandtracy

I have to admit that fashion & I are entirely strangers to each other.

Regards,

Richard.
Mabel Figworthy

Oooh, DH has one of those for working under the car - now there's an idea! (Except when I look up to look at the telly, will the light annoy DH?)
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
richardandtracy

Unlikely, the light at a distance isn't very bright. The only way to find out is try it, and ask him after a bit. If you don't ask & it's bothering him, he's likely to stew silently.

Regards,

Richard
Mabel Figworthy

Sound advice Richard!
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

My hubby doesn't find it a problem....unless I look at him directly! :roll: 8)
Mabel Figworthy

Gazing lovingly into his eyes, you mean :-) ?
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

What else? That should be blindingly obvious! @rotfl:
agent_clone

Post by agent_clone »

The last craft fair we had here I bought myself a Rechareable LED Folding Desk Lamp (this type http://www.daylightman.com.au/index.php ... amp-detail), it charges the battery via a micro-usb cable (so the same type of cable your mobile phone probably has).

I haven't used it much yet (no requirement to do so), but I just tested it and the lowest light on it was sufficient for me to do needlework with (it has 3 levels of brightness). So it's another idea if your ok with one that goes on the table rather than being clipped to the qsnaps or a head lamp.
Curent WIP:
The Butterfly Ball
Mini Heaven On Earth
Mini Japan Garden

Finishes:
Kitten Fairy on Mushroom (2015-12-31)