Floss getting twisted, not covering entire square??

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Kelseyandlily

Floss getting twisted, not covering entire square??

Post by Kelseyandlily »

I'm working on a project (although this seems to happen on any project for me..) and towards the end of the floss that I'm using to stitch it starts to look really bad and twisted.. Is this because I need to shorten the length of floss so it won't get twisted or is it something else?

Also, I've noticed sometimes the "x" of the stitch doesn't "cover" the entire area.. Meaning you can see some of the cloth through the stitch instead of it covering it completely.. Is this normal or is it something I'm doing wrong? I'm using two strands each in a 14 count Aida which is what the pattern calls for..
Squirrel

Re: Floss getting twisted, not covering entire square??

Post by Squirrel »

To make sure your thread doesn't get tangled just let the needle and thread drop down underneath every so often so that it untwists. It happens to most of us as we tend to move the needle when bringing it through the fabric.

As for the white showing maybe try using 3 threads especially on a 14ct. You are definitely not doing anything wrongly. Some threads, e.g. DMC white and black seem to be thinner than others and I know there are some other colours too which are not as robust as the rest. I just ignore it but if you want to cover all the fabric then experiment with 3 threads. :lol:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Hi Kelsey and welcome to the forum from South Carolina! I agree with Sally on both her suggestions. Quite a few members use a laying tool. I don't but I have only heard good things about it. Railroading is another technique, which works and is very easy to do. This tutorial is very helpful.

Also, different people stitch differently and how tight or loose you stitch can make a difference in coverage. It may be that on 14ct aida you need to use three strands instead of two. When I stitch on 14ct I always used 3 strands. I don't stitch on that size Aida now, but find that depending on the fabric and count I vary the number of strands I use.
I'm really glad that you have joined us and hope that you will stay with us and show us the projects you are working on.

Carole
:)
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Kelseyandlily

Post by Kelseyandlily »

Thanks for the tips! Also, I'm about to start a project on 16 count Aida which I've never used before.. how many threads do you usually use for this fabric??

-Kelsey
fccs

Post by fccs »

I use two strands for both 14 and 16 count Aida. I don't mind the fabric showing through as I stitch on the 14. Keep in mind that you are looking at it much closer than someone will when it is finished. Two strands on 16 gives very nice coverage and you probably will see little if any fabric through your stitches.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

As the others said, dangle to untangle, and railroading helps too.

I agree with Debbie about 2 strands on 16ct, although I've known people use one or three - so much depends on the look/effect you prefer! If you're not sure, stitch a small square in one, two and three strands and see which appeals to you most.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

There is another thing you can do, a 3/4 to 1 turn anticlockwise axial twist of the needle as you pull it through (clockwise if left handed). That should stop the thread twisting too much as you stitch, though it'll be necessary to ensure it's untwisted after the first stitch.

I think 2 threads are OK up to 18 count. On 14ct 2 threads looks a little sparse, especially if there is a large contrast between the thread & fabric colour.

When tent stitching, 25ct is the lower limit of 2 threads over 1 (showing up a few gaps under flash photography), and possibly 32ct the upper limit, but I've never used higher counts than 32.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

richardandtracy wrote:There is another thing you can do, a 3/4 to 1 turn anticlockwise axial twist of the needle as you pull it through.
I'm just catching up with a few posts and stumbled across this one. I sometimes turn the needle when the thread gets fairly short and I find it works well. Richard, do you also lay/railroad when you do this or do you just use the needle-twist on its own? Do you do it with longer threads or just short ones? I think I'll start paying more attention to doing this.

And I love that you make it sound so technical! :lol:
Sew many patterns, sew little time!

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

I don't railroad, as I think that could possibly end up untwisting one of the threads - imagine 160 tiny tent stitches (which is what I can get from a needleful) all railroading the threads the same way, one thread could come completely un-twisted while the other over twists and tangles up on itself. Instead, I just want to make sure the thread is not twisted.

I do it when the thread is long & short. If it's long and got much of a twist, I seem to get knots, which I don't always spot if on the back of the fabric. Knotting is most likely to happen if the thread is long, but the horrible twist & not cover problem more likely to happen when short.

I don't (honestly!) try to make things sound technical, just try to say it in a way that is clear and not likely to be misunderstood. Otherwise, would need a video to what I was talking about, as I don't think a few diagrams would be entirely clear. And I don't do video - just not me, so I try to be as clear as possible.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

That hadn't occurred to me about railroading but it explains why it never really worked for me (I use a laying tool). I'm hoping your axial twist method will enable me to stitch two-handed without having to keep picking up and putting down my laying tool and still keep my stitches neat.
Sew many patterns, sew little time!

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

isaacson72

Post by isaacson72 »

Glad I found this thread. Sometimes my thread seems perfect - it lays well, looks full and neat. Other times, the thread seems extra twisty or thin and the stitches look terrible. I don't want an extra tool to deal with. Never heard of railroading so I'll try that but I'm wondering if any of you have tried thread wax? Does it help?

Thanks,

Michelle
Michelle
:ratherbe:

WIP: HAED Candlestick Man (ornament)
WIP: various, never-ending, mason jar lids
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Some threads are thinner -- black is notorious for this; something to do with the dyeing process. Use shorter lengths, and if you find your thread thinning, stop and start again with fresh thread.