using black thread

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

using black thread

by mlgrandy » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:53 pm

Hi, I will be starting a new pattern and it contains a lot of black. The last time I used black in a pattern some of the material showed through. Is there a way to avoid that happening? Thanks, Marilu

Re: using black thread

by DisneyStitcher » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:10 pm

You can either stitch on a dark(er)fabric or use 1 thread more than you typically would for the thread count. For instance, consider using 3 threads instead of 2 on 14 ct.

by rcperryls » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:02 pm

Black threads seem to be the thinnest of all the colors. I think it has something to do with the dying process. DMC 310 is, I think, the worst of all of them. Anchor black (403) is slightly thicker. I'm not sure about other brands. Depending on the project, using a darker fabric makes sense. I have never tried adding a strand, but if it looks better and not bulky I would try it.

Carole
:thinks:
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Giraffe Silhouette
Leffet Papillon
mini Moonlight
Little Dreamers Tree
Others: I am My Beloved Sampler
2016 Finishes:
Hardanger Sampler
HAED Shiver Meow Timbers
BB8

by stitchhappy18 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:22 pm

rcperryls wrote:Black threads seem to be the thinnest of all the colors. I think it has something to do with the dying process. DMC 310 is, I think, the worst of all of them. Anchor black (403) is slightly thicker. I'm not sure about other brands. Depending on the project, using a darker fabric makes sense. I have never tried adding a strand, but if it looks better and not bulky I would try it.

Carole
:thinks:

I have also switched to using Anchor for better coverage.
Lisa

Current WIPS:
PSS 12 Days of Christmas
FPS Trick or Treat
Mary Hickmott - Barn Owl
Fleur de Lys Tree
FPS National Parks

2016 Finishes

Filigree Heart
Damask Square
Wash & Pray
Finch
Needleworker
Spooked!

by mlgrandy » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:36 pm

Thank so much for your suggestions . I think I will try the 3 strands first and if that looks to bulky I will try the Anchor thread.

by Serinde » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:13 pm

Madeira black is said to be better than either DMC or Anchor. Using a pewter coloured background fabric would also help avoid bits of white showing through. (Weavers call the bits of warp thread that show from insufficient beating down "lice". YUK!)