Back of work

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

motherof4

Back of work

Post by motherof4 »

I'm working on a piece of work using a 10x10 grid which is using about 35-40 different similar colours, many colours are only used for 1 stitch then not used for about 25 squares and I'm sorry to say the back of my work looks like a nasty accident. I've been using the parking method but don't like carrying thread over a lot of squares. What is the best way to do individual coloured stitches.
Allyn

Re: Back of work

Post by Allyn »

Welcome to the forum. :)

If you don't want to carry, I'd use the pinhead stitch to do individual stitches.
Pinhead start
Pinhead anchor

The upside is you can put individual stitches in without jamming up completed stitched with the anchors of several colors. The downside is, it takes several actions to complete a stitch, which slows down stitching (but not too much if you only have a few) and it makes it hard to do regular anchors where you run the tail under completed stitches to finish off the color.

When parking, as long as those carries are captured under subsequent stitches, I'm okay carrying a thread across 25 'squares.' I can see, though, where others may not like doing that because it breaks the rules.

WIP
motherof4

Post by motherof4 »

Thank you I will try the pin head stitch when I resume my project tomorrow.
fccs

Post by fccs »

Allyn wrote:
When parking, as long as those carries are captured under subsequent stitches, I'm okay carrying a thread across 25 'squares.' I can see, though, where others may not like doing that because it breaks the rules.
I'm with you. Rules be darned. :-)
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

As long as the long thread is eventually secured to the back by other stitches, I don't see any problem. The back of any design with that many colours in such a small space is going to look a bit messy, but as long as the threads are secure so they don't work loose, all's well. After all, presumably no one is going to see the back once it is finished.

When I 'park', I try to leave the colour threaded in a needle -- my theory is the little bit of weight keeps the thread straighter and so more easily and neatly covered as you progress with the design.
Lulu22

Post by Lulu22 »

I always work the larger area's around the confetti first and then secure the individual stitches to these area's it works fine and doesn't look too messy, but the back doesn't matter so much to me!
WIPS
Snow
Gamer Nouveau
Clara
Meadow
kandifloss

Post by kandifloss »

I often carry across going thru other threads, have done pinhead tho. Depends on what you prefer.

Kandi :rainbow:
Kandi

There is always a rainbow somewhere in the world even If you cannot see one
So never give up hope
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:wave: Hello and welcome to the forum from South Carolina!
fccs wrote:
Allyn wrote:
I'm with you. Rules be darned. :-)
I agree! I don't pay much attention to the back of my projects unless I am stitching something where the back will be seen (like an afghan). There is a reason it is called the "back".

Hope you will post pictures of your projects. We'd love to see your work!

Carole
:D
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

When using a lot of colours with a great deal of confetti, the back will inevitably look like a catastrophe.

I cannot park with that number of on-going colours, though many can. I have finally accepted that there are going to be long trails on the back, but do try to tuck them in to the other threads - with parking that'll happen automatically though.
Unless it's a kit, there shouldn't really be an issue over floss usage & running out, so who cares what the back looks like? I do feel that anyone who ends up with a really neat back is probably not using enough colours. :wink:

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Anyone who looks at the back of your work before the front should be shown the Back Door!!! :lol:

The back of my work gets messy but I always think that it gives extra padding and therefore will give substance to the front! When I'm making cushion/pillow covers for instance I like to have a good thick padding on the reverse side :D
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

wendywombat wrote:Anyone who looks at the back of your work before the front should be shown the Back Door!!! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: I absolutely agree :applesauce: :applesauce:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Roland

Post by Roland »

Allyn wrote:
As long as it's not a dark colour under a light, I'll go under quite a bit too. An advantage is, if your work will be used and require occasional washing, there are less loose ends to come loose.
motherof4

Post by motherof4 »

Thank you all for your replies and your warm welcome :whoop:
Roland

Post by Roland »

wendywombat wrote:Anyone who looks at the back of your work before the front should be shown the Back Door!!! :lol:
Years ago, I was sitting and stitching in the hospital while my son was in surgery. A woman was sitting watching me. Finally she came over and asked to see it. I showed her the picture and she said "no, the back". She actually blushed, but said she always looked at the back of stitching. So funny. So I showed it to her and she was quite impressed. Said my backside looked better than her front. :shock:
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

:whoop: Yay for neat backsides then! :wink:
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

@ Roland: not sure I'd give much for my front or back... 8)

I happen to like neat backs, but I'm neither a fanatic about it, nor would I judge anyone about their approach to stitching. Casting stones and all that. :ribbit: