DMC Coloris and corresponding solid colours

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Serinde

DMC Coloris and corresponding solid colours

Post by Serinde »

If you are a user of DMC's new thread line, Coloris, then you'll love this helpful table put together following DMC's own colour chart. It lists the Coloris number and then is followed by the solid colours that make up the variegated skein. It's so helpful.

And if you aren't familiar with Mary Corbet's blog, you are missing a treat!
stitchhappy18

Re: DMC Coloris and corresponding solid colours

Post by stitchhappy18 »

Thanks for sharing this. I have been curious about the Coloris threads.
Lisa

Current WIPS:
PSS 12 Days of Christmas
FPS Trick or Treat
Mary Hickmott - Barn Owl
Fleur de Lys Tree
FPS National Parks

2016 Finishes

Filigree Heart
Damask Square
Wash & Pray
Finch
Needleworker
Spooked!
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

There are times when I want to strangle people.
There I was, happily thinking I had got a good handle on the DMC range, nicely pinned down, numerically defined and incorporated in my chart program, and then they do this to me. How the heck am I going to represent it in a computer let alone on a chart?
Honestly. No respecters of, well, anything.

And then, to add injury to insult, they make the colours look so good too.

Regards

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
fccs

Post by fccs »

richardandtracy wrote:There are times when I want to strangle people.
There I was, happily thinking I had got a good handle on the DMC range, nicely pinned down, numerically defined and incorporated in my chart program, and then they do this to me. How the heck am I going to represent it in a computer let alone on a chart?
Honestly. No respecters of, well, anything.

And then, to add injury to insult, they make the colours look so good too.

Regards

Richard.
@rotfl: @rotfl: @rotfl:
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Thank you Serinde for that information. I didn't know about the DMC Coloris threads and while I refer often to Mary Corbet's website, I don't go there regularly. I have downloaded the chart she made, which is so much easier to follow.

Richard, DMC has just provided you with another challenge! Since I don't have your program (I have a Mac) I don't know the details, but does it include DMC variations? And how bout other brands and types of threads (Pearls, Silks etc?). Just in case you need more things to do :roll:

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Carole, to be honest, I have absolutely no idea how to cope with any form of colour variation thread. None whatsoever.

As for silks & things, I have no thread definition files for any, but it is possible for the user to create a definition file for almost anything. I supply fairly standard thread definition files for DMC, Anchor and Monochrome Grey DMC.

I also supply three extra thread definition files too, which can be registered with the program if the user so desires:
  1. Adjusted DMC (to match colours in a room, rather than the Public Domain (PD) definition above which defines what DMC looks like in bright sun. The PD definition colours are such that and when looking at an image in a room, it looks a bit darker than the original picture, and the adjusted set corrects this).
  2. Elizabeth Bradley Tapestry Wools.
  3. And finally a fun 'thread definition file' which is for stuff that isn't even thread, the 42 Lego Brick colours from 2010 - just in case you want to make a mosaic picture using Lego bricks. There are people who do this and make some astonishing pictures too, so I spent an hour or two adding this definition file to the distribution. The link here http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-l1y2fZsEQVQ/U ... G_0884.jpg is a Lego version of Mona Lisa... and this Google link shows many more Lego Mosaics: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lego+ ... mosaic+art
I suppose I should sit down with the program & use it to create thread definition files for Kreink and any other colour sets I hear being used.

Regards,

Richard.

Edited to add:
Starting on creating a thread definition file for Kreink Silk Mori as this seems to be the one with the widest range.
Edited again to add:
Kreink Silk Mori definition file complete. Will be added to the future distribution. 156 colours.
Last edited by richardandtracy on Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Aw, gee, Richard, I'm sorry. (not) A programer's work is never done! :wip: :ribbit:

It was, indeed, a pity about DH's knee. Arthritis is a pain the patella! We did manage about 2-3 miles a day, but would normally have done twice or three times that, up ben (mostly) and down glen (occasionally).