How do you transport WIPs while on-the-go?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

dancemom575

How do you transport WIPs while on-the-go?

Post by dancemom575 »

Hi! How does everyone transport their WIPs? I currently have mine loose in my purse. I have it in a Qsnap frame w/my needles under needle minders. I'm only working on two colors right now in my current project and have extra floss in a pencil box. Looking for ideas or products that are out there to keep me a little more organized with projects on the go. :wink:
richardandtracy

Re: How do you transport WIPs while on-the-go?

Post by richardandtracy »

Both my WIP's are on a 24" x 12" roller frame.
On my bi-weekly visit to a 'Knit & Natter' I throw the frame, my chart folder (a two hole folder with all chart pages, key & blend info in clear page wallets) and two bags of thread into a rucksack and go.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Are you talking about short trips (like to a doctor's office or somewhere that you will need to fill waiting time?) or a car or plane trip? If it is a short trip, I usually don't take stitching but for a car or plane trip I usually put my stitching tools (needles, tweezers, highlighter etc) in a plastic bag, my project in the q-snaps if I think I will be stitching during the actual flight, threads I will be using in a bobbin box or floss bags depending on how many and put them in either a cloth bag that also includes a magnifier/light that hangs around my neck. Cumbersome but it works. I got a project bag for my birthday several years ago which is for PHDs (Projects half done) which has lots of compartments. Haven't used it much, but will probably use it for my next trip. There are lots of things out there from simple bags to ones designed especially for transporting stitching projects.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
sina28

Post by sina28 »

I like to take small projects to uni as I have to commute nearly two hours daily. Therefore I have sewn myself a very simple little bag, where I put the actual project on the hoop and all the bobbinated floss. I an even smaller bag I put my needles, needle-threader and scissors and I'm good to go. :D
Sina
Kathy_A

Post by Kathy_A »

With my big Scarlet Quince map, I've got a large craft bag that I bought at Joann Fabrics which holds one floss bin filled with all of my blended colors on bobbins, the single color bobbins that I know I'll be working with, extra needles, and scissors; a small baggie for my pink highlighter (even though it has its cap, I'm always paranoid that it'll get loose and mark up my project); all of the copied-at-125% pages of the project in a manila folder; and the project itself on its q-snaps, wrapped inside a pillowcase. When I was driving out to my mom's for an extended vacation last fall, I brought along my new LED headlamp with magnifying lenses in its own box.

When working on small projects like Mill Hill ornament kits, I just tuck the kit into a Ziploc bag with scissors and throw that into my computer bag to work on during my lunch break.
dancemom575

Post by dancemom575 »

Thank you everyone for sharing so far. Has anyone had any experience w/the DMC Stitch Bow method & the full size travel tote? I have the mini tote, but have found that it is too small for my projects. I'm currently using a ziploc bag. :lol:
dancemom575

Post by dancemom575 »

rcperryls wrote:Are you talking about short trips (like to a doctor's office or somewhere that you will need to fill waiting time?) or a car or plane trip? If it is a short trip, I usually don't take stitching but for a car or plane trip I usually put my stitching tools (needles, tweezers, highlighter etc) in a plastic bag, my project in the q-snaps if I think I will be stitching during the actual flight, threads I will be using in a bobbin box or floss bags depending on how many and put them in either a cloth bag that also includes a magnifier/light that hangs around my neck. Cumbersome but it works. I got a project bag for my birthday several years ago which is for PHDs (Projects half done) which has lots of compartments. Haven't used it much, but will probably use it for my next trip. There are lots of things out there from simple bags to ones designed especially for transporting stitching projects.

Carole
:thinks:
Short trips. I like to work on them during my lunchbreak or while waiting for my daughter in the car while she is at dance. The project bag that you have, was it designed specifically for needlepoint or cross stitching?
cairee

Post by cairee »

I stitch on my lunch break at work, I keep it in a large ziplock bag. I have the project on a q snap, the floss on bobbins or an floss organisor card in a small bag, needles I have stuck in my q snap grime guard, scissors and pattern are just thrown in the bag

if its a larger project (I've taken a HAED to work with me) the only difference is the floss is in a bobbin box and the bag its all in is bigger.
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
RedStitcher108

Post by RedStitcher108 »

I normally only transport my WIPs when I know that I'm going to be gone for a long time (i.e. not to the doctor's office where I can't spread out as much). I have a designated bag that I use for cross stitch as my large magnetic board can fit somewhat nicely in it. I usually keep whatever chart/pattern that I'm working with on the board with the magnets attached so that it doesn't come off. I also use a small glass ashtray (that I received at an auction sight) to put my accessories in (i.e. thimble, needle threader, current needle with floss); I put large pieces of painters tape over top and put that into a smaller ziplock bag to keep everything together. Whatever floss that I may need/may be using goes into the smaller bag as well as my scissors and whatever else I may need that is small. My fabric/current piece should go into another separate bag so that it doesn't get dirty, but I usually end up putting it in-between my laptop and the magnetic board.
lcamp

Post by lcamp »

I have a satchel I bought at a thrift store and in it goes the bobbin box(floss, scissors, needles attached to magnetic tape, and a needle threader). My project on a hoop or Qsnap with needle minder attached goes into a zip top bag and then into the satchel.

LindaC
fccs

Post by fccs »

When I travel, I only take projects that will fit in a Ziploc baggie. Each WIP gets its own baggie.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
kobeat

Post by kobeat »

I tried the DMC Stitch Bow years ago and found I didn't like them. I wasn't able to find a easy way to secure the end of the floss on the bows and while they were in small pockets for storing when I stitch I leave the floss on the table beside me while I work on that color. The floss unraveled quite a bit and even in the storage slots didn't stay wound securly. The bobbins I was already using and still use have slits on one edge to secure the ends and I just like that better.

For travel I have a few bags to fit different sized projects. A couple that work well with hooped projects and two larger sizes that work for small & larger scroll frames. I use different size cosmetic type zippered bags I've collected over the years and will put floss on bobbins in one with accessories (needles, scissors, etc.) in another. For longer term projects I have an old style jewelry bag that opens flat with a number of different zippered pockets the two larger ones hold floss and frequently used tools, scissors, thread picker, needle puller) the smaller pockets hold other items (small ruler, seam ripper for bad frogs, thimble, extra needles).