Finishing a new lap stand

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

OutbackRat

Finishing a new lap stand

Post by OutbackRat »

Hi everyone,

I've just bought a new lap stand for my stitching. It's made of raw unfinished pine and I was wondering if I should finish it with something like varnish or furniture wax. I'm not really sure what would or wouldn't mark my fabric so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :rainbow:
Shannon
WIP
Tatty Teddies - Our Wedding Day
wendywombat

Re: Finishing a new lap stand

Post by wendywombat »

I'd give it a rub down with some sandpaper just to make sure that there are no rough edges to it. I wouldn't wax it but maybe a coat of clear varnish would protect both the wood and your stitching.
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

Without seeing a picture of it, I can't be specific, but I'd hesitate putting finish on any part that actually touches the fabric. If it's a scroll frame, don't finish the scroll rods (I assume the wood has been thoroughly dried), but everything else can be treated like wood furniture.

WIP
OutbackRat

Post by OutbackRat »

Thanks everyone,
I think I'll leave it for now. I was mainly worried about it warping or something but after talking to my husband, we don't really get too much humidity here so it should be ok. I will give it a light sand though because it does have a few splinters.

Cheers,
Shannon
WIP
Tatty Teddies - Our Wedding Day
Narneh

Post by Narneh »

I would recommend going with the varnish. It will give it a great shine without fear of rub off. Like other posters have said, give it a quick sand and make sure to remove all the saw dust before you start. It may take a little longer but it will be worth it in the end.