Newbie Question About Stitches

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Snuggs

Newbie Question About Stitches

Post by Snuggs »

Hi all. As a stone cold newbie, I'm confused about a few things. When I'm stitching half stitches, I stitch half stitches from left to right, then go from right to left to complete the crosses, then drop and row and do it again. I'm not sure what's the best way when I complete each stitch before I move on. If I start from left to right and complete each stitch, where do I go when I get to the far right? Do I do the next row from right to left? Carrying the floss to the beginning of the next row doesn't sound right.

Also, I'm parking my thread. I'm doing a small piece with a lot of switching between 2 colors. First I was trying to complete all the stitches of the same color in 1 section, but then when I went back to the in-between stitches it was a nightmare. Then I read about parking, so now I'm parking the thread and completing 1 row at a time. But that's why I'm unsure if I should be going left to right, then right to left in the next row.

Hope that makes sense, and sorry about the long post. :oops:
cairee

Re: Newbie Question About Stitches

Post by cairee »

stitching all the bottom legs first then going back to finish the crosses (danish method FYI) is how I do most of my stitches when parking, as it does leave you nice and close to the beginning of the next row. I use the scarlet quince method of parking
if doing half stitches where there is no top row of stitches to bring you back to the beginning of the row I do left to right, then right to left on the next row.

clear as mud right?

oh, and as long as you are enjoying stitching, and the end result is something you like, it doesnt matter how you did it. the "rules" on cross stitching really are just guidelines and suggestions :D
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
Snuggs

Post by Snuggs »

Thx for the reply cairee. That's the way I've been parking also. I found that link in my learning. I haven't been doing the Danish method in this piece though. I think I just wanted to make sure I was understanding the "conventional wisdoms". I think I'm on the right track.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I generally cross my stitches as I go -- uses a bit more thread, but it gives the flexibility to follow the colour your are working if (as I am doing at the moment) I stitch all one colour in a 10x10 square. So, when I get to one side, I just drop down to the next row and continue stitching in that colour (provided the gap isn't too great).
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

When I am stitching whole crosses I generally use the "Danish" method, but when I have a lot of confetti (a lot of colors in a small space) or a color that goes in an odd path, I might switch to one full stitch at a time. When tenting (half stitches only), I go right to left and then left to right on the next row. Or follow the color path. Hope that makes sense. What works is what works for you and what you are comfortable with.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker