Waxing already stitched thread?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Mistresspaige

Waxing already stitched thread?

Post by Mistresspaige »

Hi there ladies I recently purchased some Thread Heaven for I'd heard alot of good things about it and would love to help better condition my thread. However I'm not sure how I should go about waxing my WIP's that have already been stitched as I obviously can't run the thread through the thread heaven. Should I lightly pat it on the stitches? What advice would you give?
fccs

Re: Waxing already stitched thread?

Post by fccs »

I could be wrong, but I think TH is used to help prevent fraying while stitching...at least that's how I use it. I'm not sure if there is any benefit to be had by using it after the fact.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Mistresspaige

Post by Mistresspaige »

True but I thought it also added as protection from dust and mildew etc. Granted once washed and framed that won't be a problem anyway.
fccs

Post by fccs »

Mistresspaige wrote:True but I thought it also added as protection from dust and mildew etc. Granted once washed and framed that won't be a problem anyway.
I didn't know that...I've only used TH on a couple projects (and had never even heard of it until I joined the forum). I'm sure the more experienced TH users will have more info for both of us.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
geekishly

Post by geekishly »

I've only ever used it with the really tricky threads like metallic threads and glow in the dark thread. They tend to fray very easily and get kinked/tangled pretty badly. So conditioning them helps a lot in using them. I've never really felt a need to use them for anything else, but according to the website, it does in fact protect against mold, mildew and even UV rays. So maybe I will start using it more often.

Oh, and it will never wash out or melt as it's not actually wax. So you don't have to worry about that. As for using it after stitching. I see no reason why you couldn't rub some onto your already stitched project - it certainly wouldn't hurt it. However, it probably won't help 100% with protection since you won't be able to get the whole thread.
- Brandi

WIPs
Joan Elliot's "Grace"
"Sephina's Secret" by Illustrated Ink
Small Projects - Belle & Boo girl w/dove

my blog
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

I don't think it adds any real benefit aside from making it easier to handle the thread while stitching. I'm leery of what the manufacturer says because they want you to buy it and use it up as quickly as possible so you'll buy more. Unless a conservation society endorses it, I don't use it and I certainly wouldn't try to apply it to already stitched areas. People have said to me that it seems to matt the sheen of the finished stitches, too, so I'd hesitate trying to start using it in mid-project. Even though I wouldn't use it, I can see where it would make handling specialty threads easier, but using it on everything just seems unnecessary. Proper care and good practices in washing and framing protects your work from mold, mildew and uv. Putting TH on the thread wouldn't save the exposed areas of the fabric from getting moldy so it doesn't take the place of proper care.

WIP
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Didn't we just have a series of posts where the culprit for black spots and marks was probably Thread Heaven? I certainly wouldn't want it all over the top of my thread and fabric, no matter how they now market it for protective qualities. :roll:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Serinde wrote:Didn't we just have a series of posts where the culprit for black spots and marks was probably Thread Heaven? I certainly wouldn't want it all over the top of my thread and fabric, no matter how they now market it for protective qualities. :roll:
I thought so too. Just found it here

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Mrs Milkybar Kid

Post by Mrs Milkybar Kid »

I know of some stitchers that use Thread Heaven to coat every single strand of thread when working on their projects, but I've never found the need to do that! I use all sorts of different brands and types of cotton, silk and metallics in my work and have never found the need to use TH on any of them. The thought of coating any thread, let alone beautiful hand dyed silks, in some sort of silicon based goop (no one really seems to know TH's ingredients) does not sit well with me at all! There are stitched samplers in public and private collections that have survived hundreds of years that so many of us love to reproduce as works of our own. The original antique samplers have survived in such good condition through the centuries due to the proper care and practice that Allyn referred to above - no Thread Heaven required! Just my two penneth :D .
Amanda

Band Sampler (SANQ)
Elle Brodes des Lettres Carmin (Reflets de Soie)
Alice (Aury TM)
Mini Tears of Yesterday (HAED)
Miss Cherry Blossom (Mirabilia)

Instagram @mrsmilkybarkidstitches