What color Aida cloth

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Katgee

What color Aida cloth

Post by Katgee »

Hi I am new to this site haven't cross stitched in a while. Just would like to know if I should use black Aida cloth for a project that is mostly black background and dark colors ? I know black is very hard to work on but I don't like when the white threads show. Thank you for your input.
rcperryls

Re: What color Aida cloth

Post by rcperryls »

:wave: Hi Katgee. Welcome to the forum from South Carolina! I don't really have any advice for you on this one, as I don't stitch on black or very dark colors anymore and never did a lot. Are you planning on stitching the black background and the other dark colors, or using the fabric as the background? We've had members who have done both things and the designs have turned out well. I think it depends on the design as well as the ease of stitching. I'm sure there will be several people who will share their experiences with you. Are you getting back into stitching after a long time away? What types of projects do you like to do?

Carole
:)
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Katgee

Post by Katgee »

Hi Carole, Thanks for your response. I only did one piece in black a very long time ago and it wasn't very relaxing (lol). I was going to stitch it all in black but I was thinking maybe leaving the black background I have never left it unfinished before . Have you ever seen unfinished background before? I have done several pieces I mostly like to do it from a graph on plain canvas. My true love is needlepoint but Not many shops around anymore. I have also done one from a photograph put on a chart still need to finish the background that is a piece I wish I used a color canvas instead of white! It's good to find a site to share . Kathy
fccs

Post by fccs »

If the piece is charted for a stitched black background, I see no reason why you can't leave it unstitched. I'm pretty sure some here have done that.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Katgee

Post by Katgee »

Thank you! I will try that
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

If you look in my gallery (http://www.crossstitchforum.com/gallery ... bum_id=436), you'll see 4 of my 8 finishes have been on black, and I have never stitched the black.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation