Measure stitch count evenweave

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Unmotivatedmom

Measure stitch count evenweave

Post by Unmotivatedmom »

I have a random piece of evenweave. How do I figure out what stitch count it is?
karen4bells

Re: Measure stitch count evenweave

Post by karen4bells »

What I usually do is mark off one inch of the fabric, using 2 pins, and then count the number of holes between the pins---hope that makes sense.

Welcome to the forum :)
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

I would agree with Karen, except to say it's one more than the number of holes between the pins.

However, it will be an approximation as that area may have stretched a little. Best to try several areas and in different directions (along/across the fabric), as not all fabric has the same count in both directions. If you know it should be an evenweave, then you can skip the different directions bit.

Having done that, you may end up with a non standard count. It'll probably be the next higher standard count (eg 27ct measured is probably stretched 28 ct).

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:wave: Hello and welcome to the forum from South Carolina! I mark off an inch and count the number of squares between the marks for evenweave fabrics like a lugana or jobelan. I don't know if that would work as well if the fabric is a linen with slubs, but when I use linen it is usually for a specific project so I have never had to do that.

Carole
:)
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

richardandtracy wrote:I would agree with Karen, except to say it's one more than the number of holes between the pins.

You are absolutely correct, that's what I get for trying to make sense after a long day :) Thanks for making it clearer, Richard!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs