Chatelaine - HELP - stitch direction

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Little Wicken

Chatelaine - HELP - stitch direction

Post by Little Wicken »

Hi all,

I have a dilemma or a very silly and possibly obvious answer type question. I am about to start a Chatelaine (Herbularius), which would be my first one and I got confused right at the start :(. Which way should my cross stitches lye? As it is a mandala i.e. has 4 sides - do I turn the fabric and stitch the next set of cross stitches as per that side or do I just keep stitching as if it is a normal pattern with a bottom and top side? Does it even make sense?

I just don't wont to mess it up and be unhappy enough to never want to finish it as it is an expensive pattern.

Thank you :)
Little Wicken

WIPs
Emerald from Scarlet Quince
Gothic Girl from HAED
fccs

Re: Chatelaine - HELP - stitch direction

Post by fccs »

You should treat the design as any other - the top is the top always and your stitches should all go in the same direction. I've never done a chatelaine, but I don't think it would be different from any other design. I hope you'll show us pictures of your progress.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I was sure that this had been stitched by a forum member and found that thread Jocellogirl's Herbularius so you could see how hers progressed. We had several different "Chats" being stitched a while back and they are lovely. If I didn't dislike beading so much, I might have tried one. I hope you will post lots of pictures for us to follow your progress. I love these. Can't wait to see your start!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Mrs Milkybar Kid

Post by Mrs Milkybar Kid »

I've stitched a fair few Chatelaines and Debby is right, all the crosses will lie the same way throughout the design. One thing I thought I would mention just in case, with a Chatelaine if you are starting from the centre and working out, it is helpful if you mark the top of your fabric in some way so you know which is the top of your piece. That way you won't accidentally rotate your design 90 degrees and end up stitching your crosses the "wrong way", and have the top legs of your crosses lying in different directions. Of course once the design is no longer symmetrical as you stitch, it's easy to tell what way round your stitching should be, but it's helpful to remember at the beginning of your project which way is up - more so if you use hoops and qsnaps than if you use scroll frames like me. Hope you enjoy Herbie, it's a beautiful design and one I have in my stash!
Amanda

Band Sampler (SANQ)
Elle Brodes des Lettres Carmin (Reflets de Soie)
Alice (Aury TM)
Mini Tears of Yesterday (HAED)
Miss Cherry Blossom (Mirabilia)

Instagram @mrsmilkybarkidstitches
fccs

Post by fccs »

Mrs Milkybar Kid wrote: it is helpful if you mark the top of your fabric in some way so you know which is the top of your piece.
I do that on all my projects - I put "TL" (top left) in the very corner where it will never be seen when finished. I've done a lot of designs that until I get to a certain point, I don't know which way is up. :tizzy: :tizzy:
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Little Wicken

Post by Little Wicken »

Hi all,

Thank you so much for all the advice! I had Herbie kitted out for a few months now and I think what held me back was that I was worried, I might need to rotate the pattern and the stitches. Now I am all clear on that, the next step is to find an appropriate fabric. I know, I want it on 32 count, so it is just to decide if I will stitch it on white or give it a little vintage neutral colour. I am heading towards the neutral as it is a garden after all, but will see :)

I will definitely post some pics though :)

Thank you again ladies :P
Little Wicken

WIPs
Emerald from Scarlet Quince
Gothic Girl from HAED