bread cloths?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Sweeie

bread cloths?

Post by Sweeie »

Does anyone have any ideas for finishing the back of a bread cloth....so the threads do not come out with multiple washings?
Allyn

Re: bread cloths?

Post by Allyn »

If you anchor the tails securely, they won't come out. If you do the 'usual' thread-under anchor, you can make an extra loop. Here, this explains it better:
http://www.scarletquince.com/end_anchor.php" target="_blank
Note steps 3 through 5 for the extra loop and back under the threads.

I do bread cloths and afghans this way and after many washings, the threads are still secure.

WIP
sina28

Post by sina28 »

You could also try a very secure pinhead stitch, it might be visible but the most secure method I have yet encountered.
Allyn's method has worked for me, as well.
Sina
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Just repeating what Allyn said. I have stitched many afghans also and toss them in the washing machine and dryer and have had no problem. Several have seen a fair amount of wear and tear (two for sure have been at soccer and baseball games and seen their share of dirt) and are still strong.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Sweeie

Post by Sweeie »

Thanks to all the repsonses. Both of these methods will work. The design is so small, that the regular method of securing thread was getting bulky.
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

Sweeie wrote:.... Both of these methods will work. The design is so small, that the regular method of securing thread was getting bulky.

Ahhhhhh! It's a small design. Another option, which may or may not be doable for you, if the design is small and anchoring two threads of each color is bulky, I have used a single thread and done each leg of the stitch twice -- like / / and then \ \ to complete a stitch. You can't loop-start, but having to anchor a single strand makes less bulk on the back then two of each color. I know there are still two tails to anchor, but not having to put them together under the same stitches can be a help.

WIP