thread color

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

mlgrandy

thread color

Post by mlgrandy »

Has anyone ever substituted one color thread for another? I'm working on a pattern that is using a bright red (dmc 321) in an area it doesn't blend in with. I don't know if I should tone it down or if I should use similar colors for that area. I really appreciate anyone's help . Thanks, Marilu
rcperryls

Re: thread color

Post by rcperryls »

:wave: Hi Marilu and welcome to the forum from South Carolina! I am one who pretty much sticks to a chart since I don't have great color sense. One thing I have learned though, depending on the type of design, is that often what seems to be an absolutely wrong color often is the absolutely right color once the whole area around it has been stitched. I also know that sometimes there is an error in the chart and the wrong color is the wrong color. Have you tried contacting the designer or manufacturer of the chart? I'm sure we have members who have changed thread colors and will be glad to help you out. I hope that you will post pictures of your project once you have made your decision. What types of projects do you like to stitch?

Carole
:D
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Yes I have! I once did a very large design of poppies. Now I like Red poppies. In this design one of the poppies was a nice authentic red...the other one was pink. I've got pink poppies in the garden , but I wanted to stitch red ones. :roll:

I did the first in the colours suggested then I did 'floss-toss' in the shades of red from my stash. I then chose a couple of shades darker and worked from there.
It took a while but I was very happy with the result.

I've taken a picture of mine . I stitched the top poppy in darker red. You’ll have to scroll down to find it how it looked in the magazine.

http://pleinmesdoigts.blogspot.fr/2009_ ... chive.html" target="_blank

The design came from this magazine
http://www.leboncoin.fr/sports_hobbies/465041386.htm" target="_blank
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

I can't offer better advice than Carole and Wendy. Sure, I've substituted colors -- sometimes it was a preference like Wendy wanting the flower a different color and sometimes I didn't like the shading the chart gave me. Years ago, designers did stitched models to see how the colors looked and then made adjustments before releasing the chart. Mostly they don't do that today. They just accept what the software tells them and sometimes the colors are not what they expected. In your case, it might be that the bright red will look fine once you get the whole area stitched, it could be a mistake in the chart, or it might be the software put in a color that in practice just doesn't work.

If it is in shading and you don't like the bright red, gather the other reds that it 'shades' with and see if you can find another red you like better -- sort of a mini floss-toss.

WIP
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

If you don't like the colours, choose different ones. There are no thought police operating from this site! And, what is more, we encourage doing things to suit you. There is no fun in it if you are doing something you dislike.

As a rough guide, the yarntree.com colour list here: http://www.yarntree.com/075dmcolors.jpg should give you an idea. Remember though, that the colours will have changed a little on being photographed and will also change a bit on being displayed on your monitor. They are a reasonable guide, not perfect representations of the colours. Having selected substitutes, look at the real threads to see if you think they will suit.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

:wave: Hi Marilu and welcome to the forum its great to have you join us. I am currently working on a set of motifs from Sweetheart Tree to fit into coasters and every one will have different coloured flowers in it. I prefer to sometimes do my own colours with something or work from charts only where you can please yourself but then I love playing with colours. :lol:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
mlgrandy

Post by mlgrandy »

Good morning everyone, yesterday I posted a thank you to all of you for answering and I can't find it. So, once again I am saying thanks so much. I have to learn how to navigate through the board . I know I hit submit but don't see it anywhere. Another question, how do you post your pictures? I took a picture of the piece I'm working on and tried sending it but it didn't work Marilu
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

:wave: Hello and welcome to the forum---it does take time to get familiar with things here, but you will find your way quickly, I'm sure---and if you have problems, of course just ask.
As for posting pictures to a topic, this link should help you

http://crossstitchforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1027
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs