Negative Space issues/concerns

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Malfore

Negative Space issues/concerns

Post by Malfore »

I recently finished a small project using a fairly large amount of blank black cloth to represent the black background of the picture. I wanted a second opinion, does this look obvious and odd or am I just seeing it so much because I worked with it so much?

wendywombat

Re: Negative Space issues/concerns

Post by wendywombat »

I think leaving blank unstitched fabric works well. Have you looked at this from a distance?
Often we stitch away happily...and of necessity at close range, and it's not until we move back from the picture that we can see the full effect.

You have to ask yourself if this would look better if you stitch black on black? Personally I don't think so and I would leave those areas unstitched.

I will say this though. When I have a background the same colour as my thread I like to use an Evenweave fabric instead of Aida, but this is just my personal preference.
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

I have done a number of projects on black (four of the seven I've completed), and I have never stitched the background on those. I think it looks good when framed.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: I think it looks good as is and agree with Wendy that you need to look at it from a distance, not up close. I don't stitch on dark fabrics so can't speak from personal experience. Looks like you stitched the black or other dark color in the main piece of the design. Background can be a waste if it is the same color as your fabric.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
fccs

Post by fccs »

I agree - you have to look at it from a distance to get the real effect. Personally, I think it looks fine. If you're unhappy with it, you could always fill in the background with a half cross stitch.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

I know what you mean. I think it can look odd, but I don't think yours does. After working on it just inches from your face, you're having a hard time taking in the whole picture now. Lay it on the back of a chair or the sofa and really step back and look at it.

WIP
Rose

Post by Rose »

Sorry to be the odd man out. But I would do the background in half stitches. For me personally it would look more finished.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
19Roland19

Post by 19Roland19 »

I think it adds to the picture the way it is. Kind of a textural difference.
RedStitcher108

Post by RedStitcher108 »

To me, it does look a bit off putting, but ultimately it is up to you. Overall, the piece looks good as is and the texture would definitely add more depth and character to your piece. Half stitches may help or they may not, but it still looks nice either way.