Q snaps

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Anaya

Q snaps

Post by Anaya »

I've just discovered Q snaps and I love them but I have some questions. Where have they been all my life? LOL. Seriously, though. Should I take my fabric off at night when I'm done stitching? Will the clamps crush the stitches? Is there anything I should know, or any advice about them?

Thank you all!
karen4bells

Re: Q snaps

Post by karen4bells »

:D Q snaps are the best and I never take mine off---leave them on until I'm finished or until I need to move them. As for crushing the stitches, I haven't had that issue--I do usually put paper towel between the clamp and stitched fabric just to be extra safe :)
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

fccs

Post by fccs »

Like Karen, I only take the fabric off my Qsnaps when I have to move to another part of the design, or when the design is finished. If I'm going to be putting the Qsnaps over stitches, I use a thin dish towel (which I have cut into Qsnap lengths) to go between the two.

I never knew Qsnaps existed before I joined the forum, so I get the "where have they been all my life?" feeling.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Kathy_A

Post by Kathy_A »

I've been using Q snaps for just the past year, when I started on my first massive project, the SQ map I have in my sig. What I did was get a Grime Guard, a length of cotton, and a package of six big hair clips. I cut a strip of cotton big enough to cover the four sides of the frame, which I place between the stitches/fabric and the snap clamps. It makes me feel more confident that the stitches won't be crushed or maybe snagged if the plastic clamp has a flaw that I miss seeing. I then wrap the rest of the width of the cotton around the excess fabric, put on the Grime Guard, and then clip everything in place (although I do have to make sure that the clip on the bottom of the frame won't be placed so I hook my floss on it while I'm stitching, which happens all too often!).

I throw the cotton and Grime Guard in the wash every so often to keep everything clean, and everything's been going great so far! I'll be reaching my one-year mark on the map in two weeks (although I've actually only been stitching on it for about 10 months of that year), and I am in love with the Q snaps.

I did switch from the 11-inch X 17-inch frame to the 11-inch square frame when I realized what a pain it was to reach around the width of the frame, plus the extra bulk of the hair clips on the side. The 11-inch square is perfect for my bigger hands, and I like not having to move the fabric around while I finish one page at a time of my pattern.

So, I leave the q-snaps on until I have to move them for the next page. Occasionally, there will be a little smooshing of the stitches immediately after I take the clamps off, but they fluff out pretty quickly. I'm going to be washing the piece as soon as I finish this page, so any other smooshed stitches will be bouncing right back.
Kathy_A

Post by Kathy_A »

I just took two pictures of my current work in the Q snaps, if you're interested.

The front:

The back:

I took the clip holding the fabric and cotton at the bottom off so I wouldn't snag my floss on it when I stitch, so it's not as tightly locked into place as it could be, but you get the idea!
Anaya

Post by Anaya »

Thanks for the help! I went from a 14 x 17 qsnap to an 11 x 11 and it's way easier for me to hold. :)
fccs

Post by fccs »

Anaya wrote:Thanks for the help! I went from a 14 x 17 qsnap to an 11 x 11 and it's way easier for me to hold. :)
I also found through experimentation that 11x11 is the largest size I prefer. Even on my Lowery, the larger ones are just to hard to reach around.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
dawn0621

Post by dawn0621 »

fccs wrote:
Anaya wrote:Thanks for the help! I went from a 14 x 17 qsnap to an 11 x 11 and it's way easier for me to hold. :)
I also found through experimentation that 11x11 is the largest size I prefer. Even on my Lowery, the larger ones are just to hard to reach around.
I combined mine and use 8x11 for that same reason. Even 11x11 is too big for me, and 8" high is perfect for HAED pages.
Dawn
:wip:
Italian Vista
HAEDs - Autumn, Come Together, Sunflower Bee, I Put a Spell on You
Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy
I Believe in Santa
Autumn Leaves Bookmark
Autumn from Etsy

Finished ~Hummingbirds

sleeplessstitcher916 on Instagram
Kathy_A

Post by Kathy_A »

The other thing I like about the 11"x11" size is that it fits into my craft bag much better than the 11"x17" one did. I now have enough room for a floss bin as well as the stitching in the q-snap frame, without having the bag bulge out from holding too much stuff.
DahliaDoll

Post by DahliaDoll »

Very useful information. I appreciate all that I learn at this forum! I've just been branching out to a little larger motifs. I think I'll pick up some Q-Snaps soon!

I'm working with fabric that is cut 13" square. Would that wrap around sufficiently if I got an 11" Q-Snap, or should I go with 8"?
Kathy_A

Post by Kathy_A »

I'd probably go with the 8" size for a 13" project. I just finished a kit with fabric that was about 15" square, and it was just big enough for my 11" frame.
DahliaDoll

Post by DahliaDoll »

Thanks. I just ordered both sizes from 123 Stitch.
My Blog: Crafting is My Busy-Ness

乁( •_• )ㄏ
fccs

Post by fccs »

DahliaDoll wrote:Thanks. I just ordered both sizes from 123 Stitch.
I like the way you think!!!
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Anaya

Post by Anaya »

fccs wrote:
Me too! Too much isn't enough as far as cross stitch supplies go. (yes, I'm an enabler)
DahliaDoll

Post by DahliaDoll »

Anaya wrote:
fccs wrote:
Me too! Too much isn't enough as far as cross stitch supplies go. (yes, I'm an enabler)
HOWEVER! I inadvertently ordered the "spare pairs" instead of the full sets. No wonder the price was so good! I emailed 123-Stitch to ask if I would be okay if I just ordered two more spare pairs or if I would be missing any parts. The answer was "...by having the spare pairs you are missing the two straight tubes. So getting another spare pair won't rectify that. You will need to buy a set of Q snaps."

Do people here agree with that reply? On the 11" pair, I do have two short straight pieces and cannot see why another spare pair wouldn't complete the set. The other size I ordered was 8" which I also cannot see how ordering a full set would include anything more than ordering another spare pair. Your experienced input would be welcome! Thanks.

乁( •_• )ㄏ
Reeta

Post by Reeta »

There are no clips in the spares set so you will need the full set
DahliaDoll

Post by DahliaDoll »

Reeta wrote:There are no clips in the spares set so you will need the full set
I appreciate your response.

By "clips", you mean the semi-circular plastic that holds the fabric onto the frame, right? Both of the spare pairs I received (8" and 11") do have those. I've put them together so I have an 8x11 Q Snap and have my fabric on it, clipped, and all ready to go. Still can't figure out what I might be missing.

乁( •_• )ㄏ
Reeta

Post by Reeta »

By the sounds of it nothing .. So supplier just wanted more of your money :)
fccs

Post by fccs »

DahliaDoll wrote:I've put them together so I have an 8x11 Q Snap and have my fabric on it, clipped, and all ready to go. Still can't figure out what I might be missing.
It sounds to me like you're missing nothing. I think 8x11 is a good size - might have to try that.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
ChelseaStitches

Post by ChelseaStitches »

Not to sound like a broken record... but Qsnaps literally saved my life as well. They are the reason that I have avidly picked cross stitching back up after all these years. I HATE anything else as I find I just cannot get the type of tension that I like to stitch through. Great post, and couldn't agree more... THRILLED I have found Qsnaps!!! :wub:
WIPs:
"Woodland Sampler" - Frosted Pumpkin - August 2015
"Village of Hawk Run Hollow" - Carriage House - October 2015
"A Marriage Is..." - Janlynn - February 2016

Finishes:
"Pondering Pup" - February 2016