How to care for overdyed threads?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

shadyglade

How to care for overdyed threads?

Post by shadyglade »

I recently started two stocking projects I'm hoping to finish up for family this year. One uses exclusively Weeks Dye Works threads and the other uses a combination of WDW and Classic Colorworks (or Crescent Colors, whatever the current name is, can't remember off the top of my head :oops: ).

Does anyone have any advice re: washing when the project is over? I know they will take me long enough that they will probably be looking a little grimy by the time the year is over. My WDW floss is listed as being colorfast, but a friend of mine on a Facebook group just had some of her WDW floss bleed when she tried to steam iron it, so now I'm afraid it might not be as colorfast as it says it is.

I've read elsewhere that Classic Colorworks is not colorfast.

So how do you finish/clean/prepare your finished projects when using overdyed threads? I've read that prewashing can help, but won't necessarily guarantee the threads become colorfast. I've only done a few stitches in each stocking so far so I'd rather find out if there will be problems now before the problem gets worse to fix at the end.

Help!
Allyn

Re: How to care for overdyed threads?

Post by Allyn »

I know WDW didn't use to be colorfast, but they're supposed to be colorfast now. Is your friend sure the ones that bled were the newer colorfast dye lot?

I've seen folks suggest swishing the floss in water with a little white vinegar to set the color before you use it if you suspect it isn't colorfast.

WIP
tiathyme

Post by tiathyme »

Hand dyed colours are always really tricky to wash safely.

Can you wash the projects now to see if the colour runs? That way you'll know what you're in for at the end. Wash only in cold water to prevent the dye running. Maybe try a color catcher cloth too, or make your own? I confess I haven't tried them, but they sound nifty.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

As Allyn says, ridding the skein of excess dye before stitching is the safest way to proceed.
cairee

Post by cairee »

Allyn wrote: I've seen folks suggest swishing the floss in water with a little white vinegar to set the color before you use it if you suspect it isn't colorfast.

vinegar is ok on cotton threads, but be careful of using it on overdyed silk or wool, as they are dyed in acid dyes and depending on the dyes used and the method to set them using vinegar can sometimes actually undo some of the binding of dye to thread. for those just cold water is good. :)
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)