Newbie to Blending filaments? Ways You All Use them?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

ecology665

Newbie to Blending filaments? Ways You All Use them?

Post by ecology665 »

I just ordered some blending filaments and Light effects from Krenik, DMC and Glissen Gloss Rainbow. I got several gold colors, green, pink and three whites. I'm thinking about using the golds to replace the outline stitch colors? Do have to have the original outline stitch color too? I want to use the white filament throughout a stitching of a white dress. How do a strategically place the thread on the needle?

Thank Goodness this pattern only requires 2-strands of thread, whereas most of my pattern require 3-strands of thread.

What are the Tips and Tricks you use to get the best out of a blending filament?

You can attach blogs and other sites so I can view your works. :shock:
Allyn

Re: Newbie to Blending filaments? Ways You All Use them?

Post by Allyn »

We've had many discussions on blending filament, a couple of which are here:
http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... f=3&t=2632" target="_blank

and here:

http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... 5&p=635452" target="_blank

It's my experience that it behaves better if you loop it in the eye as described here:
http://www.kreinik.com/shops/Kreinik-Bl ... nique.html" target="_blank

WIP
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

My preferred way to use the blending filaments are one or two strands of floss and a strand of the filament because I love the subtle shimmer it gives. I have used both the filament and Kreinik braid alone and for me the key is making sure the strands aren't too long. I have discovered Rainbow Glisten Gloss and like it also. Not fond of DMC metallics and while I have some, haven't used them in ages.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
fccs

Post by fccs »

rcperryls wrote:My preferred way to use the blending filaments are one or two strands of floss and a strand of the filament because I love the subtle shimmer it gives.
I do the same as Carol. Even when the chart doesn't call for blending filament, I really like adding it to designs. Just keep the lengths shorter than usual, and if it doesn't cooperate, try Thread Heaven.

I hope you'll let us see how you use it.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
ecology665

Post by ecology665 »

Allyn, Carole, and Debbie Thank You! I already experienced disaster with the metallics and with the DMC Satin. I noticed shorter strands and knotting the thread around the needle described in the 'The Cross Stitch Bible' works. I am going to look at the sites. I am going to use it on the dresses in 'In The Garret' Paula Vaughan Pattern. I just got to make sure I don't over do it with all the glittering material and take away the true beauty of the Victorian Era dresses.

:)
tiathyme

Post by tiathyme »

I love using blending filament to give a bit of bling to ornaments, biscornus and other smalls. I'm also currently stitching Patricia Allison's Autumn Dragon which has quite a lot of blending filament.

I agree with the others, using short lengths and knotting the filament to the needle is essential to using blending filament without going crazy.
ecology665

Post by ecology665 »

The Autumn Dragon is nice.