Pedestal Stand?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

mimers

Pedestal Stand?

Post by mimers »

I scanned the forum but didn't seem to find a thread on this so I do apologize if this has been discussed before (I'm sure it has).

I am starting to have some trouble with my left hand (it goes numb holding the frame) and I think it's coming from my elbow being bent for so long. I was thinking I might need to use a pedestal stand to hold my fabric and was wondering which one you'd all recommend?

Thanks!
http://x-stitchgirl.blogspot.ca/

WIP:
Warm and Fuzzy Kitten (Dimensions)
The Witching Hour (Mini HAED)
Celestial Spheres (Mary Hickmott Designs)

Completed Projects in 2017:
Hermit Baba (HAED)
rcperryls

Re: Pedestal Stand?

Post by rcperryls »

I did a search on the stand that I use (Lowery) and found this thread on Trying to pick a floor stand which might be a good place to start. There were quite a few threads that showed up. There are quite a few different stands that members use.

One thing to note is to check prices on a variety of suppliers for whatever stand you decide on. Much to my surprise my Lowery stand and the extension I just got for it (though it isn't working as well as I hoped, but that is partly due to a cat not liking to sit on my lap with it because I have to turn the stand around) are considerably less expensive when purchased from Sew and So in England than from any of the US Suppliers. Even with the shipping costs. I used to have a similar problem with my left hand and arm which would hold the hoop or Q-snap frame getting sore. Plus I think my stitches tend to be more even with two handed stitching, though I'm not sure it turned out to be that much faster for me.
Of course, could be I am just moving slower since I've gotten older. :?

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
tiathyme

Post by tiathyme »

What kind of frame do you use? Whether you use hoops, Q-Snaps and stretcher bars will determine which stand is the best for you. :)

I use a K's Creations Z Lap Frame because I move around too much and don't have room for a floor stand.
mimers

Post by mimers »

tiathyme wrote:What kind of frame do you use? Whether you use hoops, Q-Snaps and stretcher bars will determine which stand is the best for you. :)

I use a K's Creations Z Lap Frame because I move around too much and don't have room for a floor stand.
Right now my HAED project (the Hermit) is in an O ring but I have also used Q-snaps as well.
I'm thinking a lap frame may be the best for me, but wonder if I will still have my elbow bent using even that? Ugh.

WIP:

Hermit Baba (HAED)
mimers

Post by mimers »

rcperryls wrote:I did a search on the stand that I use (Lowery) and found this thread on Trying to pick a floor stand which might be a good place to start. There were quite a few threads that showed up. There are quite a few different stands that members use.

One thing to note is to check prices on a variety of suppliers for whatever stand you decide on. Much to my surprise my Lowery stand and the extension I just got for it (though it isn't working as well as I hoped, but that is partly due to a cat not liking to sit on my lap with it because I have to turn the stand around) are considerably less expensive when purchased from Sew and So in England than from any of the US Suppliers. Even with the shipping costs. I used to have a similar problem with my left hand and arm which would hold the hoop or Q-snap frame getting sore. Plus I think my stitches tend to be more even with two handed stitching, though I'm not sure it turned out to be that much faster for me.
Of course, could be I am just moving slower since I've gotten older. :?

Carole
:thinks:
I took a look at the thread - thanks!!!

I would rather try to avoid ordering overseas as the Canadian dollar is at it's lowest point in years. But I may have to suck up the cost. Sigh.

WIP:

Hermit Baba (HAED)
tiathyme

Post by tiathyme »

I do have my elbow bent when I use my lap stand, but I've never had any problem with my elbows when stitching. I do like my Z lap stand because I could switch my dominant stitching hand around when I had pain/RSI issues with my right wrist.

If you're a hoop and Q-Snap stitcher than a clamp stand is definitely the way to go.

If you're in Canada even Amazon.ca has a range of stitching stands to choose from. :)
mimers

Post by mimers »

I just bought the Tomorrow's Treasure Lap stand from 123Stitch.com. I'm hoping this will work for me.

WIP:

Hermit Baba (HAED)
LadyS

Post by LadyS »

I've been thinking of getting a lap stand for my Qsnap as well, would love some recommendations from people that use one with a Qsnap.

I almost bought the Qsnap quilters frame, but am wondering if it will even work with HAEDs or if it will be way too big.
Laura (aka lsschwartz on HAED BB)

WIPs
Krystal (HAED)
Middle Earth Map (HAED)
Snowman&Friends Stocking (Dimensions)
12 Days of Christmas SAL
Little One (Dimensions)
tiathyme

Post by tiathyme »

I use Q-Snaps in my K's Creations Z Lap Frame all the time. The clap has no problem with the thickness of a Q-Snap. There was an issue with the frame slipping out of the wood clamp, but I stuck some non-stick matting on the inside of the clamp and it works a charm. I've been using it for years. :)

I only stitch HAED minis, not the real beasts, and they fit in my Q-Snaps alright. I bought the frames so long ago I don't even know what I got, but I got two frames and an extension set so I've got heaps of options when it comes to sizes.

I think the quilting Q-Snap might end up with the fabric tension too loose in the middle of the frame?
fccs

Post by fccs »

tiathyme wrote:I use Q-Snaps in my K's Creations Z Lap Frame all the time. The clap has no problem with the thickness of a Q-Snap. There was an issue with the frame slipping out of the wood clamp, but I stuck some non-stick matting on the inside of the clamp and it works a charm.
I bought the Z frame with the clamp that is supposed to be for Qsnaps and it was a total fail. i was so disappointed! I have used it to hold a hoop, however, which it does well.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
LadyS

Post by LadyS »

tiathyme wrote:
I think the quilting Q-Snap might end up with the fabric tension too loose in the middle of the frame?
Yeah, that's why I'm hesitant. :thinks:

I wish I could afford a lowery stand but not right now plus I don't want a huge frame in my living room, which is where I stitch and it's a formal spot, which is why I wanted to try a lap frame. But I need one that accommodates either the Qsnaps or if it has it's own bars that would fit a large HAED.
Laura (aka lsschwartz on HAED BB)

WIPs
Krystal (HAED)
Middle Earth Map (HAED)
Snowman&Friends Stocking (Dimensions)
12 Days of Christmas SAL
Little One (Dimensions)
tiathyme

Post by tiathyme »

I bought the Z frame with the clamp that is supposed to be for Qsnaps and it was a total fail. i was so disappointed! I have used it to hold a hoop, however, which it does well.[/quote]

Yeah, the Z frame doesn't play well with Q-Snaps without some modification. It took some frustrated googling and some tape and non-stick mat to get it to work. But I love the Z frame now that I've mucked about with it.