How To Read Fractional Stitches?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

marniecat

How To Read Fractional Stitches?

Post by marniecat »

Hi all! Have a very basic question that I feel silly asking, but how does one read a pattern and know if it is calling for a 1/4 stitch or a 3/4 stitch? In particular, the small "x" and "m" symbols here.
Thank you!

Last edited by marniecat on Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Allyn

Re: How To Read Fractional Stitches?

Post by Allyn »

Don't feel silly. Sometimes it isn't clear, especially if the instructions don't specify.

I read that as 1/4 stitches and would probably do them as 1/4 stitches even if the pattern looked like it wanted 3/4 stitches. (Does that pattern have a separate backstitching sheet?) The reason is, the backstitching isn't as 'bulky' over a 1/4 stitch. It's bulkier than I like when I backstitch over the long leg of a 3/4 stitch.

If there is no backstitching, I might do a 3/4 stitch if the edge looks like it needs to be 'finished' since little 1/4 stitches can make an edge look jagged if there isn't backstitching to smooth it.

Which do you think would look better?

WIP
marniecat

Post by marniecat »

Hi, Allyn, thank you for your reply.
This chart does not have a separate backstitching legend, this part in question is the edge of a raven.
I've reread the instructions and suddenly it's clear to me that it should be a 3/4 stitch.
I think when I came to it, I was taken aback as I was certain it was a 1/4 stitch, then read the instructions to be sure and only saw wording regarding 3/4 stitches and got myself really confused. Having stepped away, made dinner and had some wine, it all seems clearer now!
I do think a 3/4 stitch makes more sense in this instance. Thanks again for your reply!
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

Well, there ya go! :)

If there is no backstitching, the 3/4 stitch will make the edge smoother.

As always, read the instructions, understand what it tells you . . . . .and then do what you think looks the best. :)

WIP
curly sue

Post by curly sue »

Allyn wrote:Well, there ya go! :)

If there is no backstitching, the 3/4 stitch will make the edge smoother.

As always, read the instructions, understand what it tells you . . . . .and then do what you think looks the best. :)

Me too, whatever I think looks best!
tiathyme

Post by tiathyme »

Great advice, Allyn! I always do 3/4 stitches for fractionals, I think it just looks so much neater.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I agree about doing 3/4 stitches if there isn't any back stitch to smooth out the edge. What I always found confusing is when you have a 1/4 stitch and a 3/4 stitch in the same square and no specific instructions than what looks right to determine which is which other than what stitches are around it. Seems to me I ran into this a lot when I was stitching a lot of Teresa Wentzler charts. And since I didn't know anything at the time about aida vs evenweave and stitched mostly on aida, that became tricky. I don't think there were forums then. I'm not sure there was an internet :oops:

Carole
:tizzy:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
tiathyme

Post by tiathyme »

Haha! The first time I did a longstitch I had no idea what I was doing and there was no internet... I didn't even know you could use the same hole twice when stitching!

When teaching myself cross stitch I ended up doing two 3/4 stitches when the pattern calls for two fractionals in one square. I just like the extra definition of the 3/4 stitch. My tension was quite tight when I started stitching and sometimes I couldn't even see the 1/4 stitch.

I enter quite a few needlework shows and I've had designs with two 3/4 stitches in one square win first place etc, so I guess it's not too much of a faux pas. :P