Apps you use

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

19Roland19

Apps you use

Post by 19Roland19 »

I had an app on my phone to keep track of what threads I need. I could just click and save. When I happen to find myself in a store that sells DMC I always had my list with me.

Unfortunately, the app wouldn't transfer to my new phone, and it is no longer available, so I'm looking for a new (preferably free) app.

I downloaded one called StashCache, but I'm not sure it'll be as easy to use.

~~~

Anyone have any cross stitch or thread apps you like? Not necessarily for keeping track of threads....any stitchy apps you like,
chicksmama

Re: Apps you use

Post by chicksmama »

I had never heard of such an app but I'd sure like to find one. Of course it needs to be simple. I do a lot of different crafts and if there was one for each craft that would be fantastic. I will be keeping an eye out for any answers to this.
Thanks for letting us know about such a thing.
agent_clone

Post by agent_clone »

Android or iOS? Personally I don't use one. I was thinking about writing one for Android though there are already a few in existence in the Play Store (most of which you need to pay for).

Edit: Oh, except for using Foxit to keep track of where I am in the pattern...
Curent WIP:
The Butterfly Ball
Mini Heaven On Earth
Mini Japan Garden

Finishes:
Kitten Fairy on Mushroom (2015-12-31)
chicksmama

Post by chicksmama »

I have an Android at the moment but might soon be getting a Samsung Gallaxy S4 given to me. :D
Jennifer78

Post by Jennifer78 »

I have an android and was looking at a floss checklist right before Christmas. You have to purchase it and when I checked for last update it was quite some time ago so I was hesitant thinking it may be outdated. I ended up using Google drive and just importing an old spreadsheet and updating it to how I like it adding in supply and fabric lists along with project notes. Makes it easy because I can mark it for offline use when I am out and if I have to edit I am not stuck on a tiny phone screen.
agent_clone

Post by agent_clone »

Personally from my point of view with software, if it works you don't need to change it. So if you look in the comments and people are complaining about bugs then yeah, don't install it, but otherwise if it works why not install it.

For the Samsung Galaxy 4 that would still be on Android.
Curent WIP:
The Butterfly Ball
Mini Heaven On Earth
Mini Japan Garden

Finishes:
Kitten Fairy on Mushroom (2015-12-31)
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

What's wrong with good old pen and paper? :idea:

I have a small notebook that lives in my handbag (purse)
When I run out of a thread colour I write it down on the pad.
When I buy the replacement I cross it off the list.
I don't need software updates or a fully charged battery...just another sheet of paper in my note pad!
You can call me old fashioned or a Luddite...but it works for me!!!
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I use the XStitcher app. Originally it only was for DMC threads but now also has inventory lists for specialty threads like Weeks Dye Works and Gentle Arts Sampler Threads. Anchor has also been added I believe. It does cost $1.99 but I have definitely found it worth it. There have been quite a few updates since I got it several years ago. For years I did Wendy's method. But was even worse keeping that one up to date than I am with this one. Haven't checked to see what else is around since this works pretty well for me.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
19Roland19

Post by 19Roland19 »

wendywombat wrote:What's wrong with good old pen and paper? :idea:
For me, my phone is with me all the time. When I'm home, it's in my corner, where I stitch, so when I run out of a colour I can immediately update my app. When I'm out, my phone is in whatever purse or bag I bring....or a jacket pocket. The only other thing I absolutely always bring is my medicine and one bank or credit card.
19Roland19

Post by 19Roland19 »

rcperryls wrote:I use the XStitcher app. Originally it only was for DMC threads but now also has inventory lists for specialty threads like Weeks Dye Works and Gentle Arts Sampler Threads. Anchor has also been added I believe. It does cost $1.99 but I have definitely found it worth it. There have been quite a few updates since I got it several years ago. For years I did Wendy's method. But was even worse keeping that one up to date than I am with this one. Haven't checked to see what else is around since this works pretty well for me.

Carole
:thinks:
I think that one is for ios. I need android. I did have that one when it was free on my iPad and really liked it.

The main reason I want free apps is, I rarely use apps on my phone, so I don't want to buy a play card. The cheapest I can find is $15. And I will not use a credit card to purchase apps. (Don't know if that's an option or not.)
19Roland19

Post by 19Roland19 »

Stash Cashe is looking better. :applesauce:

There are two android versions and I downloaded the free one.

I played around a bit. I can set up a "page" for each project, listing what ingredients I need, and which ones. I already have.

I found a place to keep a list of which threads I need, and there is also a page for materials and another for embellishments.

It will take a bit of time, but I may come to like this one better.
RedStitcher108

Post by RedStitcher108 »

I'm not sure if it is available for Android users (as I use IOS), but I use Mouliner Calculator for some of my projects. It doesn't keep track of thread or that sort of thing, but it:
-calculates fabric size for aida cloth for various counts of cloth and can measure in inches, centimeters, or stitches
-calculate fabric size with additional parameters: basically it just adds in the element of stitch covers into the size of the fabric size
-calculate how much stitches includes fabric with specified size: it lets you add numbers that weren't already preprogramed into the above two options
-calculate price for cross stitch embroidery work: it gives many different factors that go into pricing work (if you plan on selling them) including price per stitch, consumables cost, and various surcharges that may come up

I hope that this helps somebody. It's not a bad app seeing as I got it for free and it's pretty basic and easy to learn and use. Like I said I don't exactly use it all the time, but every once in a while I'll use it to get a rough idea of what size cloth I may need to use and cut.
dawn0621

Post by dawn0621 »

Hi

I just found Stach Cashe the other day and can't figure it out. I've used Floss Checklist, which is pretty easy for keeping track of what I need. There's also Cross Stitch Thread Companion.
Lately i just use my notepad app, make a Floss note and list threads i need while working on a project.
Dawn
:wip:
Italian Vista
HAEDs - Autumn, Come Together, Sunflower Bee, I Put a Spell on You
Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy
I Believe in Santa
Autumn Leaves Bookmark
Autumn from Etsy

Finished ~Hummingbirds

sleeplessstitcher916 on Instagram
19Roland19

Post by 19Roland19 »

I gave up on Stach Cache.

I paid for Floss Checklist. Worth it for me. It was either 99 cents or $1.99. Unfortunately I have to buy a $15 card for it.